“Great views, great location, nice appointments” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Hyatt Pinon Pointe

Hyatt Pinon Pointe
Ranked #10 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Phoenix, AZ
“Great views, great location, nice appointments”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 19, 2009

This is our second visit to the Hyatt Pinon Pointe in Sedona. Our first visit was 4 years ago on a timeshare promotion. The last minute rates were palatable 159/night for non-Vacation club members (Sedona has a stratospheric 13% hotel sales tax). We were not interested in a timeshare promotion ($119.00/night if sit through a 2hr presentation).

The hotel is in a great central location, with great views of the red rocks (Sedona landmark). Opposite the hotel is the very affordable and excellent WildFlower cafe (quite crowded at 3pm on a Wednesday) and Coldstone Creamery (ice cream).

We had a 1 bedroom unit, 222B, which had a great view of the red rocks from the balcony, steps to the swimming pool and Wildflower restaurant. Rustic feel, with gas fireplace with nice brick surround, large TV (no Disney channel). Approx 700SF, nice tile in kitchen, entry and bathroom, 9ft ceilings, enormous dining table, jet tub, free internet and deep patio. Request building 1,2,3, or 4 in the front, 2nd or 3rd floor for great views from the balcony. Plenty of parking in front of the building (37 steps to access unit).

Some mixup on initial registration, put in a room in the new wing, which was already occupied. Be careful as Hyatt is currently adding a new phase, which is some distance from the current building. Guest services was very apologetic and received a really nice unit with great views.

Pool area is clean, with two jacuzzis. A little anal about pool towels, having to provide last name, room number, checkout date, and signature, and then checking back in when leaving the pool. Reception was pretty unhelpful with late checkout, wanting to charge $20.00/hr after 11am. Difficulty getting the room keys to work, a minor irritation, but confused as to why this occurred, as had to issue room keys three times in the two nights we stayed there.

We love Sedona, and try to visit 1 or 2 weekends a year, staying in Oak Creek Canyon in summer months, and the main town in Spring and Fall. Very accessible hiking trails within a couple of miles of the hotel. Purchase a Red Rocks pass ($20.00/yr or $5.00/day) to park at any of the trail heads, from Sedona visitor center.
* Brins Mesa Trail (TH at end of Jordan Road 2 mi) 1.2 mile hike to the Mesa, for great sunrise views (and sunset) of Sedona. Can extend to Soldier Pass trail and return on Jordan trail for 5.5mi roundtrip.
* Broken Arrow Trail (TH access from Sombart Ln, 1 mi South on 179), beautiful trail early in the morning, 3.0mi roundtrip.
* Cathedral Rock Trail (access from Poco Diablo resort, 3mi South on 179), 0.5 mi steep trail, phenomenal sunset view.
* Doe Mountain Trail (8mi follow Dry Creek Rd, to Boynton Pass Rd) 0.6 mi moderate trail. Beautiful views of all the red rocks, best early or late in the day. Also visit Boynton canyon 1mile West for an easy 4.0mile (roundtrip) hike into very pretty canyon.

• Stayed March 2009, traveled with family
3 Thank bitnibbler

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (270)
Staten Island, NY
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 23, 2009

We secured a one bedroom time share at the Hyatt. It was fabulous. Very clean and well cared for, centrally located , great fireplace, comfy beds and all the amenities were wonderful. I would definitely recommend this hotel for a long or short stay.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled with friends
montana
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

This is a beautiful, extremely well-run and centrally located resort. Since it's a timeshare, you will be staying in a fully equipped condo. My wife and I rented a one bedroom condo for a week from 2/06/09-2/14/09, through redweek.com a timeshare trading venue. That transaction went smoothly and one does not need to be a timeshare owner to participate. One should be aware that studio, one bedroom and two bedroom units are available all, of course, for different prices. The unit that we stayed in was beautifully and practically furnished. It was quiet and the staff were friendly and helpful. From what we could see, there is no better place to stay in Sedona.

• Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank rfors
NY
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 15, 2009

We were lured by the Hyatt name. The room we recieved was well appointed with all the latest ammenties. All was well up in till we turned in for the evening. The beds and pillows were awful. We literally could not sleep! Upon mentioning this to the front desk we were informed that all the rooms had inferior mattresses. She said the furniture was only updated by concensus of the home owners association. Our advise, if your looking to relax find an establishment that values it's company reputation.

• Liked — The view from the pool area
  • Disliked — Beds + Pillows
  • Stayed February 2009, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Tiredinarizona
Riverview, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 29, 2008

We are owners at another Hyatt property. I can see where some of the guests had mixed feelings about the property. The buildings are built into the mountain and are not all traditional on their entrances and views. Many of tthe units do not have a great view from the unit itself because of the angles. However, I found the setting to be cozy compared to most big resorts. The pool was well maintained and staff was very plentiful to take care of any need or question. The concierge and front desk were exceptional. The unit was a studio and was on the small side but was comfrtable and well maintained. When we stayed there we could tell by the others cars there were a lot of other guests but we barely saw anyone and never was anyone else at the pool or spa. I would recommend this for acozy littl eget away. Staying a full week I would recommend a 1 bedroom unit with mroe space.

Stayed December 2008
1 Thank Stevied888
Mission, Texas
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2008

We are owners of a Hyatt Vacation Club membership. We enjoyed our stay very much. We were given a room on the second floor with a nice view. Owners usually get the better rooms than the folks who are visiting on their $49 deal. We got a basment room at the one in San Antonio when we went for our $49 special.

We reserved a studio, it was small but very clean and nice. We knew we wouldn't spend much time in our room so we reserved a smaller unit.

It is a short walking distance from the main street in downtown Sedona and the staff was great about giving us advice on local parks and senic areas. The whole city has a "low light policy" this is really nice becuase we were able to see starts from our balcony. They do provide flashlights in every unit. We liked the firepit too.

• Liked — location
  • Disliked — needs more resturants on location
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
2 Thank teachergirl23
Tucson
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 10, 2008

Gentlemen:

I have waited a day after visiting your hotel in Sedona to calm down a bit. To say I am extremely irritated and disappointed would be an understatement.

I recently received a flyer advertising your vacation club and it piqued my curiosity. My husband and I have been looking at purchasing a second home from destinations as diverse as Panama and Italy. We have also considered keeping our home in Tucson and entering into the "right" time share agreement. Since I have held the Hyatt name in great esteem (We have previously stayed at your properties in Beaver Creek, CO and Highlands Inn, CA) I though this might be a good opportunity to check out vacation ownership.

What a BAD idea.

Our trip started out when we arrived at the reception area at approximately 12:15am to check in. We advised the front desk the day before that we would be arriving extremely late. We were told that it was no problem as your night security guard was trained to check us in. The only problem was that he was nowhere to be found! After walking around the property for 15 minutes my husband finally got back in the car and was getting ready to leave when he decided to take a final drive to see if we could find him. All of a sudden he appeared from nowhere and luckily we were able to check in - but only after another 10 minutes since he said he had to make an important phone call first!

It started out bad and got worse.

Upon arriving at the room husband needed to use the toilet immediately but had a hard time doing so: the toilet paper holder was literally jabbing him in the ribs when he sat down. My husband is NOT fat - he is a very trim 6 ft tall and 200 lbs. The holder is so close to the toilet that the lid caught on the toilet paper and could not be closed completely! Not only could he not sit down comfortably neither could I - and I'm 5'4" and 120 lbs. I challenge ANYONE to sit on this commode without great discomfort!

The next morning we awoke at 6:30 to the sound of a cell phone ringing and loud non-stop talking as if there was someone literally sitting in our room. It turns out that it was one of your senior executives doing a site inspection for safety and security. He would be on his way to Highlands and then Florida for additional reviews. The walls in this rooms were so thin and obviously had zero sound insulation. We could hear every word he said - whether we wanted to or not!

After opening the sliding door I was astonished to find that we had a view of - A WALL, and were sitting at the bottom of a drainage ditch that smelled horrible - no doubt due to the stagnant water and resultant mud that had accumulated there. The maid didn't even bother to sweep the porch, and the glass table and chairs were thick with red dust. It felt like we were animals enclosed in a zoo at the bottom of a pit.

A quick inspection of the room revealed ripped and unraveled carpet, the hairdryer (which I needed) was stored NEXT to the plunger (YUCK!) on the bottom shelf, and a bag of dirty laundry was deposited outside our door during the night. Drying off after a shower with your towels was like using sandpaper - they were absolutely the worst towels I've EVER used anywhere - I doubt if they had been replaced in years. The loud hum from the in room refrigerator sounded like a freight train in low gear and kept us up all night long.

But wait - there's MORE!

I was NEVER EVER advised by anyone in reservations that the hotel and Sedona was under massive construction. The noise and dust - it was very windy that morning - were unbearable. I repeat - NO ONE ever advised me of this, and I find it incomprehensible that you would fail to do so.

It was obvious at this point that we were purposefully stuck in the WORST ROOM AT THE PROPERTY. I can only assume this was done since you probably figured that as an RN my salary was barely adequate to participate in your scheme. What you didn't figure out was that my husband has a six figure income and can afford to purchase real estate just about anywhere he desires.

My husband went to the front desk and complained to your resort manager Mike - but he was unable to move us to another room since you were full. My husband then went to your time share sales desk and told him we would be checking out - and that he felt deceived, cheated and was NOT interested in investing in your operation or staying in our room.

Initially he was told that I would be penalized the full rack rate ($500 plus!) for two nights stay since we didn't fulfill our end of the "agreement" and go on a tour. Only after loud complaining was the rate reduced to $119.00. Yesterday a representative called and said the only charge would be $55.00 for cleaning. What a "bargain".

We left by 10:00am and drove back home to Tucson.

What a miserable experience - please take me off your list for any future solicitations. I'll do the same and take Hyatt off my list permanently for future resort vacations. I would have had a better experience staying at a Super 8.

I've heard of dreadful time share experiences before - and this experience fulfilled those stories perfectly. You can view my pictures of your "resort" to go along with my complaint here:

Regretfully,

Amy A. Todd

• Liked — Nothing, this place is a ripoff
  • Disliked — Ummm,,,, see my review
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
14 Thank RKMinTucson
Also consider these accommodations in or near Sedona
Casa Sedona Inn
Adobe Grand Villas
Adobe Grand Villas
#1 of 48 in Sedona
Hilton Garden Inn Flagstaff

Been to Hyatt Pinon Pointe? Share your experiences!