“Beautiful”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Forest Houses Resort
Ranked #48 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed November 4, 2010

I can't remember when exactly we stayed at the Forest Houses, but I do know that we absolutely loved our trip. I work in retail and it's hard to get a few days off. I really wanted to relax, and we did just that. Bob, the owner, was so unbelievably nice to us! He talked to us about where certain places were in Sedona and offered up a game as well. He also mentioned that if we borrowed a good book and didn't end up finishing it to just go ahead and keep it. The whole place had a great family type of atmosphere. I wish I could get time off with more notice so I could stay there more!

• Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple

Reviewed November 4, 2010

This was one of the most peaceful and beautiful resorts I've ever stayed at. Situated right above Oak Creek we stayed in the Overlook House. It was the perfect size for us, a studio style apartment with a very well appointed kitchen. A tiny deck with seating right above the creek was perfect for morning coffee. We loved the gas stove, which heated up the apartment fast and kept it heated all night. We played tons of boardgames (available in the office) and didn't even care that there was no TV. The resort is not even 5 minutes from the West Fork Trail, which in my opinion in the best trail in the area. The owner is super nice and helpful. We were already planning our trip back before we even left. If you are seeking solace from the everyday mundane lodging options then this place is for you. Do not pass up this gem.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled as a couple
3  Thank cole927
Reviewed October 30, 2010

Its a beautiful area, Sedona and Oak Creek are just fabulous in the fall. The houses are a little run down but the view more than makes up for that. Still, you can get this same view at dozens of locations in the area and not have to deal with Bob.

Bob inherited the place from his parents and is running it into the ground. The homes are no longer being maintained as they once were and he is so obsessed with keeping the rules that he doesn't mind breaking a few laws. It is his habit to walk around looking in windows and counting heads to make sure that no one has what he perceives might be an unregistered guest. I can see from many other reviews below that we are not the only people to notice this habit of Bobs. I haven't looked up Sedonas rules but I fairly certain peeping Toms are discouraged. After we noticed this we started looking around for hidden video cameras in the rooms and bathrooms. It is creepy. I would recommend staying there for Halloween and skipping the haunted houses. Why go there when you can have your very own Bob?

Definitely stay here if you don't mind the peeping Tom problem. I suggest you keep everyone fully clothed and cover your windows. He will also be going through your trash can. It just isn't worth it.

There are plenty of other resorts in the area, many of which are not as close to the road and have less road noise. I'd mention some of these but I do not want to look like someone who is promoting a business. This is just an honest review of what we experienced.

You should also know that this is bare bones. No telephone, no maid service, no televisions, no internet. Again, you can find much nicer accomodations else where and skip the resident lunatic.

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled as a couple
35  Thank The15thHole
Reviewed October 3, 2010

My wife and I wanted a place hidden in the woods where all we could hear is the sound of the wind in the trees and the water over the rocks. We found everything that we were looking for in the Forest Houses Resort.

We booked our cabin many months in advance. Tom was fantastic in returning our messages and answering all of our questions. We settled on the Oak House, and we couldn't have been more pleased.

The location of the resort is perfect. It is about 20 minutes north of downtown Sedona in Oak Creek Canyon. It is nestled in the trees so well that if it wasn't for the large sign at its entrance, we would've driven right past it. The cabin is very well made and has a wonderfully rustic feel to it. Everything was very clean. The fully equipped kitchen was a great size and we had a fantastic time preparing meals each evening after a long day of hiking and exploring.

The beds are very comfortable. The living room and master bedroom each had a stone fireplace, which was wonderfully romantic. Firewood is provided at no charge. There was even a small set of patio furniture on the lawn. Every window in the cabin opens up to allow the incredible fresh mountain air circulate through. Every morning, we would wake up to the sound of the creek immediately outside our window and the birds in the trees. It is truly a place of peace and quiet. My only minor complaint with the cabin is that the bathroom is rather small, but certainly very functional.

For us, Forest Houses was an incredible discovery. We will definitely return for every trip to Sedona from now on. Even now, my wife and I are planning on which cabins we'll rent on our next trip.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Cainlayder
Reviewed September 12, 2010

This is an amazing experience. We booked two more houses for 2011. It is quite hard to get reservations because people keep coming back to the same houses.. We are going to stay in The Diamond house next trip.. Cant wait already! So friendly are Tom and Bob.. Very clean.

• Stayed: September 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 18, 2010

I spent a week in the Overlook house in late July and it was perfect for what I wanted. No TV, No Cell Phones, No Internet and only Limited Radio (NPR from Flagstaff). Very clean and extremely quiet. Fully stocked apartment with a great deck overlooking Oak Creek. I fell asleep every night listening to the gurgle (and sometimes rapid gurgle) of Oak Creek. Traffic noise from across the creek on 89A was not an issue. The grounds were very clean and beautiful. The secluded one-mile path along the creek, by the AB Young Trailhead and to Junipine was a delight to walk each morning. Not much to do but enjoy the wilderness. But that’s the point.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled solo
1  Thank AKOJ
Reviewed July 27, 2010

A very nice place to stay, plan on kicking back! Oak Creek is very nice as well, great fishing!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family