“The Terrible Reviews Were Right”

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Forest Houses Resort
Ranked #47 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed August 29, 2011

It was time for a long overdue getaway! I carefully researched everything, and decided on Forest Houses. I disregarded the bad reviews here -- I gave the current owner the Benefit of the Doubt for being an older person with a hearing loss, not the weirdo people claimed him to be. I am not a complainer by nature, but the reviews came true. They overbooked my room and kicked me off without apology. The owner himself was blatantly dishonest about several things. From the GetGo, the right hand did not know what the left hand was doing. If you want a vacation you can rely on, DO NOT MAKE YOUR RESERVATION AT FOREST HOUSES RESORT. There are many more to pick from! And anyplace will treat you better than they treated me here.

Room Tip: Get a room somewhere else
  • Stayed: August 2011, traveled solo
25  Thank WildHorseMesa

Reviewed August 11, 2011

We rented "Mary's House," one of about a dozen cabins flanking Oak Creek Canyon on this property. The floor-to-ceiling windows offered a gorgeous and serene view, while the wrap-around porch provided a closer look. Everything was impeccably clean when we arrived, as if it had been detailed instead of cleaned, and the whole house was impressively decorated. There's no television, cell phone service or wi-fi, which might be a negative for some visitors but for us was a wonderful opportunity to disconnect for once. We played board games, baked, read some of the many books and magazines scattered about on bookshelves and end tables, and walked along the creek. And the king size sleep number bed in the master bedroom was very comfortable! The only downside was that there were many spiders in the house and quite a few ants, but that's expected, I suppose, when one is in the middle of a canyon. We would definitely stay again!

Room Tip: You must request Mary's house, because it isn't listed on the website.
  • Stayed: July 2011, traveled with family
Reviewed August 8, 2011

There is no better place for people who enjoy the stunning beauty the canyon, creek, and plants have to offer in this area. Each house is a work of art, made from natural materials that complement the beautiful environment. Most houses offer views of the creek, and the relaxing sound of the creek can be heard from some of them as well. My husband and I have enjoyed Rock House and Creek House, and hope to try Cloud House sometime soon. Bob is very friendly and offered us books, games, maps, suggestions for dining out. When we apologized for accidentally breaking a dish and wine glass, ( slippery hands !) we was very gracious about it. Our two large dogs were welcomed, and we all enjoyed hiking on nearby trails. The houses are clean and had stone surfaces that dogs cant damage. We enjoyed watching a light snowfall in February as we sipped warm drinks near the stone fireplace and relished the perfect weather and wildflowers in April. Anyone who likes nature, friendly people and a bit of peace will return to this place!

Room Tip: Check out the maps to select ahouse on the creek if you wish, or select a more isolated one in the w...
  • Stayed: April 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 4, 2011

This was exactly the right place for 6 women ( sisters and sister in laws) to share and use as a base for travel to Grand Canyon, Petrified Forest area. It was clean, comfortable and quirky with no need to worry about the furniture or neighbors. I totally recommend it . It is not a luxury place, just good basic housing and ample room to spread out

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled with family
Reviewed July 1, 2011

We were very excited to book a stay in the "view House" for my husbands birthday. Great reviews, travel magazine write-ups, secluded...just what we wanted! A week prior to our arrival, I ran across a review that mentioned no A/C....it's Arizona- there must be a mistake! So, I called- and was assured that A/C was "never needed", as the area is significantly cooler than in town. Unable to cancel since it was within the 30 day period, we took our chances.

Upon arrival, the owner Bob was working on the toilet in the bathroom- ok no problem, he was very nice about it. Once done, about 330pm, we "moved in"...in about 87 degrees inside the house! The upstairs bedroom, though the bigger of the two, was up a steep, narrow, wooden staircase that scared me. Plus, no window coverings, and heat rises. So, we decided to try to sleep in the downstairs tiny bedroom. The bed was old and uncomfortable, so we drove 30 minutes to Flagstaff for a $130 mattress topper. Came back- tried to bbq outside, but couldn't eat out there due to a ton of bugs. Ok- it's nature. We moved it inside and couldn't bear to eat there either- as a sudden swarm of insects had made their way inside. Black bugs died in our wine- and I don't want to know how many landed on our food. Mosquitoes soon took up house inside, as did the moths. Turns out, the screens are so old and bent that it was a piece of cake for them to slip through. the house backs up into a hill, which is filthy with leaves and dirt- couldn't open the kitchen window due to that and bugs just waiting to get in. A ton flew into the bathroom- so we had to close that window. Unable to cool the house down past 80 with the 2 fans, at 10pm- we were done. Can't sleep in that heat, shutting any windows or doors made it worse, and we weren't going to be eaten alive. My husband drove into town to call for a different hotel while I raced around repacking, sweating, very upset and swatting at the mosquitoes. We were out by 11pm.

I left a letter with the key and 2 messages for the owner to call us to discuss the problem and a refund- no way am I paying $120/night for a 7.5hr stay. It's been 5 days with no call back, and I am now disputing charges and writing reviews telling the truth.
It's too bad- the houses really have potential, they are nice- but no A/C in AZ is ridiculous, I don't care how shaded you are by trees. We spent 4 days there and the heat climbed to 110F.

• Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
28  Thank MelR54
Reviewed June 17, 2011

At the beginning of March, my fiance' Brian and myself, booked the quaint looking Cook House for a total of four nights. We were SO looking forward to this mini staycation until we received a phone call from the owner, Bob, around the first week of May. He regretfully informed us that they double booked our cabin for June 3rd through June 7th and we were basically SOL-they had no other cabins available that weekend. He did offer another weekend at the end of June, however Brian and I had already arranged to take the time off of our jobs. On such short notice, it was impossible to readjust our busy work schedules. I understand that mistakes happen, however I feel there was not much effort made to right this wrong. Plus, we thought we were being proactive by booking months in advance, but that was to no avail. We ended up at another resort on Oak Creek for half the price, so perhaps this err was a blessing in disguise. I rate this company with only one star for lack of customer service, and no resolution to an error that was not the consumer's fault.

Stayed: June 2011, traveled as a couple
14  Thank Heatherlxs
Reviewed November 27, 2010

Forest Houses is just what I want in a vacation. I have been going for years and go at least 2-3 times a year. No cell phones, no TV, just me (and my two pugs) and a few books. While there is no room service you are encouraged to go to the office and request anything you wish/need. With no TV the guests seem to be prescreened and on the quiet/respectful side. Every house has at least one fireplace and is fully furnished. I live in Phoenix so just bring all my food and never have to leave. A bit of heaven. Last New Years had a bit of snow and just layed on the couch looked at the fire and watched it snow thru the skylight (View house).

• Stayed: October 2010, traveled solo