“Wasn't expecting it to take so long to hike”

Bear Mountain Trail
$171.29*
Sedona Helicopter Tour: Mountains and Ancient Sights
Ranked #31 of 158 things to do in Sedona
Reviewed April 12, 2013

I hike regularly so was surprised to read I should expect a 7 hour hike for 5 miles. I'm glad I scouted the trailhead the day before and got there just as the sun was rising. I'm also glad I hiked it. I finished in just over 6 hours. It is slow hiking because there were often rocks along the trail which needed to be navigated. Sometimes I needed to stop and figure out the direction. Cairns (small piles of rocks) dotted the trail. Many times I stopped to take pictures.

You cannot see the top from the trailhead. It kinda keeps winding around and sometimes seems like you are mountain hopping. It's definitely a challenging hike and definitely worth the effort.

Tip: Someone suggested I go to the Hike House http://thehikehouse.com/ to get hiking ideas. I was glad I did. the owner was much more helpful than any of the visitor centers where I stopped. I bought the Sedona Trails Map and he marked up 3 hikes for me (I had already done Bear Mountain when I found him). Each of the trails was spot on for my skill level.

Reviewed April 8, 2013

This is a physical hike on a relatively bare mountain with very little shade until you reach the summit so be prepared for relentless sun and provide lots of H20 for hydration. Great view from the summit almost 360 degrees.

Reviewed March 16, 2013

We chose the Bear Mountain Trail on a whim after the road to our original choice was closed. The guide we were using mentioned this was a hard trail, but we had no idea until we started. We were woefully unprepared, but did manage to get to the top and back down without incident.

This hike is extremely vertical. You'll climb 2000 feet in just under 2.5 miles. Most of the hike is spent climbing straight up rocks. There are very few switchbacks. Instead there are stone staircases going straight up the side of the mountain. None of it is difficult or dangerous, but you will be pulling yourself up the trail using your hands. This is not a stroll. There are a good number of cairns to mark the trail and we never felt lost.

Additionally, there are multiple false peaks. Just when you think you've gotten to the top, you'll notice that the trail keeps going. Fortunately, each additional view is well worth the effort.

When going, pack plenty of water - at least a gallon per person. You'll need lots of sunscreen as there is very little shade throughout the hike. Plan on at least 5 hours (it took us 6) and be prepared for all the climbing. As this is one of the harder hikes in Sedona, traffic on the trail was light.

1  Thank EskimoTony
Reviewed March 7, 2013

This is a demanding but rewarding trail. From the parking, you bearely see the top of the mountain as some closer portions give you the impression it will not be that long. There are a number of spots to take a break or have lunch along the way. We are in reasonable shape, with good hiking experience, and did the whole thing in just over four hours, including a lunch break about half way and a stop to enjoy the view at the summit. Our teenagers would have done in it 3h30 or less if they did not have to wait for us!
The views are very nice from all sides. You discover one canyon after another and can see very far in all directions. Definitely my favorite so far, although we liked also Boynton Canyon and Devil's bridge.

1  Thank Mathieu P
Reviewed February 26, 2013 via mobile

Excellent hike with beautiful vistas! Took us about 5 hours including spending 30 minutes at the top.