“Great and affordable place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Matterhorn Inn

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Sedona
Matterhorn Inn
Ranked #15 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Seattle
“Great and affordable place to stay”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 13, 2007

Unfortunately, we only had one evening to spend in Sedona, and I picked the Matterhorn after reading about the reviews here. We were so glad that we were able to get a room there on such short notice--and paid around $122 total.

The room we stayed in was lovely! Don't expect the Four Seasons, because the hotel is not fancy, nor are the rooms huge. But our room was large enough to accomodate a king bed and night stands, lounge chair, bistro-type table with two chairs and tv cabinet. The room was spotless, as well as the bathroom. There was a small sink area located outside of the bathroom. A mirrored closet contained a small frig. I heard no one in any of the surrounding rooms, even though the hotel was completely filled. The town really quiets down at night, so you could actually leave the sliding doors open if you needed to. We didn't use the pool area, so I can't comment on that.

But the most amazing thing was the view off the balcony! We sat back and enjoyed the view and a bottle of wine while watching the sun set. I would return again and again to this hotel, just for the view.

Another thing about the location is that you are within walking distance of the tourist shops. There is a free trolley available; however, we didn't use it. But it was a great location for me as I had to entertain myself for the afternoon while my husband was working. Amongst the t-shirt shops are galleries filled with beautiful sculptures and jewelry made by local artists. Something for everyone. And if you prefer the higher-end stores, just visit Tlaquepaque.

The people working at the front desk were very friendly. A nice touch was a hand-made book in the office that was filled with pictures and menus of local restaurants--something that shows me that the people running this hotel are genuinely interested in making sure their customers enjoy their visit in Sedona. And I will stay here again the next time we are in this beautiful little town.

• Liked — The view.
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled on business
10 Thank gotonodj

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (147)
DC
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 10, 2007

We were worried after a previous experience with a Motel type place but as soon as we arrived at the Matterhorn our worries were gone. The Matterhorn rooms are far better than most higher starred hotels. The personal deck faces onto the main stretch of Sedona but the main stretch comes to a standstill around ten every evening. Even if it didn't, the French windows are so well made that very little noise comes through. In fact, the worst thing that can be said is, of an evening, there's not a lot to watch while having a glass or two on the deck. The rooms are very quite. It would be difficult to make any comment about the staff because we only saw them when checking in and checking out... which is the way I like it... and on each occasion they were very friendly. The view of the red buttes is fantastic and while we were there we watched a thunder storm crossing the sky before us. The only bad thing to say about Sedona is the town which is Walt Disney's idea of a western town - all cowboy Kitsch, right down to the spurs and cowboy hats and 'Howdy' s as they try to sell you land, property, holidays, another hotel cheaper than the one you're in. Beware the touts, they're everywhere. I was stopped four times just walking around looking for a bar. If you want real goods at normal prices drive to the part of Sedona the locals use.

• Liked — The view.
  • Disliked — The cowboy-kitsch town of Sedona
  • Stayed August 2007, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Yermaanmadug
Columbia, South Carolina
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 7, 2007

Our stay in Sedona was a last-minute decision. All I had to go on was a short scribbled list of highly-ranked Sedona hotels that I had pulled off of TripAdvisor. With only this information, we walked into the Matterhorn Inn and booked a room, and once again, the TA reviews did not lead me the wrong direction!

We stayed on a Sunday night in late July for a AAA rate of $107 plus tax. The Matterhorn is located on the main road in uptown Sedona, in the middle of the tourist shops and restaurants. In spite of its convenient and busy location, we were not bothered by noise and had a peaceful night's rest.

We found our king room to be quite classy. I don't understand why anyone would have problems with the decor unless they're accustomed to the Four Seasons... for me, I was actually impressed with the room, especially since I was expecting it to be blah like most motels. The room was pleasantly decorated with muted purples, golds, and greens, with granite-covered tables, comfortable chairs, throw pillows, unique prints on the walls (even in the bathroom), and high-quality thick woven carpet. All rooms have a balcony with lovely views facing the canyon, and our balcony actually opened to allow us to walk across the roof of the building in front to look down directly at the street. (It was designed that way, and was a cool touch.)

The pool was clean but on the small side, and the jacuzzi bubbler was broken, but you could still get in it to sit in the hot water if you wanted. I appreciated that there was a sign at the front desk informing guests about the jacuzzi. From my experience, most hotels won't even tell you when things aren't working and you only find out after you've gotten into your room. At least here they are honest and give you the opportunity the change your mind about staying there before you check in and give them your money! To me, that showed class and integrity on their part.

Service at the front desk was extremely friendly. The young man working directed us to a few restaurants for dinner. At his recommendation, we tried the Cowboy Club a block down the street, and it was one of the best meals of our trip!

We had a great stay at the Matterhorn and recommend it with no reservations.

• Liked — friendly service, convenient location, lovely room
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
8 Thank dpladyreed
Gig Harbor, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 4, 2007

Finding a plush room for a good price in Sedona was difficult. Opted to try the Matterhorn Inn and found the experience acceptable.

Booked a king bed for a AAA rate for one night in July for approximately $140 (incl tax). The room was clean, a bit out-dated (somewhat "cheap" feeling), and the amenities (toiletries, towels, and linens) were low-end. The mini fridge was convenient for water, soda, and for stashing leftovers.

The location was great -- right on the north end of downtown Sedona, in front of a free trolley stop -- with stunning views of the Red Rocks. We were lukcy enough to catch a nighttime lightning show above the rocks, which was spectacular.

The pool was adequate and, during our visit, not crowded. The jacuzzi bubbler was broken at the time.

Don't know if I'd stay here again. It was acceptable, but I'd like to try another place to see if I can find something better for the price. In comparison, we booked a room at The Boulders in Carefree, AZ, for the next night; the price was virtually the same, but the experience was a hundred times better.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Furnishings/amenities
  • Stayed July 2007, traveled as a couple
6 Thank Kris_K_D
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 30, 2007

Stayed at this hotel for several days and truly enjoyed the experience. The rooms have outstanding views of the red rocks, and the owner/operators are friendly, and helpful. The rooms are decorated very non-hotel like, with southwestern simple design. This hotel is located right in the centre of Sedona so everything is within walking distance. Very clean and excellent value.

Stayed December 2006
1 Thank gypsydoll
Southeastern US
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 13, 2007

My mother and I just returned from a trip to Sedona. I chose the Matterhorn Inn based on reviews I had read on TripAdvisor and I was not disappointed. The staff was very friendly and efficient. The motel's location was very important to me since my mother could not do alot of walking. Of course the wonderful view was my favorite reason I loved it! We really enjoyed sitting on the porch just looking at the mountains and people watching! Everything was clean and comfortable.... I would certainly stay there again!

• Liked — The view and location
  • Disliked — Everything was great!
  • Stayed June 2007, traveled with family
6 Thank LovingGRITS
Cincinnati OH
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 7, 2007

The Matterhorn is the place to stay in Sedona. Great view, great price, friendly and helpful staff. Hey, it's not the Hilton, but it's not priced like it either. We enjoyed a three-day stay and would definately return.

• Liked — Location