“Had a great time-Disappointed in food”

Sedona Summit Resort
Ranked #21 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed July 2, 2007

Great place. We stayed in building 1 which is an older unit but it was recently updated. We had a 2 bedroom unit. The studio part of the unit overlooked the red rocks and the 1 bedroom part of the unit overlooked the pool. The activities for kids were really great. The only downside is that there was no food or mini-mart onsite. The safeway is about a 3 minute drive. We were disappointed in the restaurants in the area. The Coffee Pot is a great place for breakfast ($6.00). We went to Judy's, Schrugue's, Oxaca, Red Planet Diner, and Bonita Cantina. Bonita Cantina was our best meal. It's a great mexican place in a shopping center where Bash's is. It's a place for locals and tourists. We had taquitos as an appetizer which was out of this world. Everything we had was great and the fried ice cream fed all 4 of us. Schrugue's was overpriced. The filet was great, but my husband got stuffed trout which was so dry he couldn't eat it. My daughter got 3 shrimp and a salad for $17 was was a rip-off. It's fancy and with great views but we didn't care for it. Red Planet diner was great. Good food, friendly service and good price. Great for families. Oxaca was good, in the middle of uptown Sedona. Judy's was really good but didn't have kid menu's. Take a hike to Devil's Bridge, it was worth it. About 1 mile each way. We rented out own Jeep through Farabee and did all the trails Pink Jeep did plus more. It was $199 for 24 hours. My husband owns a Jeep so he had experience. Pink Jeep tours were great and it's the only way you can get some great views of the Red Rocks.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with family
3  Thank slschmidt23
Write a ReviewReviews (1,810)

Reviewed June 8, 2007

We booked the Summit through a time share exchange. The Summit is 10 minutes from the town center but in many instances we preferred the location, no traffic at the Y, no construction, close to lots of trails (e.g. Boyton canyon, Doe Mtn, indian ruine sites), close to Safeway, and nearby restaurants were very good. The Summit appears to have 2 levels of rooms, both the same size but the newer rooms have a much more update decor, amenities are the same. Note the newer rooms are farther from the pool, so that is a trade off. We did not know to ask and stayed in an older room, which was very convenient with the kitchen, dishwasher, and washer/dryer. It was very easy to pack a cooler with sandwiches (bought from Safeway) so we could eat lunch on the trails or in a park. Pool is very close to old units, a little small but nice. A small workout room is available if hiking is not enough for you.
We had a 2 bedroom unit. It was very large, the second bedroom is really its own unit with a seperate kitchenette with a connecting door. Second bedroom had a seperate enterance and is perfect for 2 couples travelling together.
The only thing I did not like about the Summit was the agressive sales pitch for time share sales from the concierge. A good way to get a free jeep tour or weekend but did not like being woken up on my vacation by someone asking me why I have not gotten my parking pass from the concierge. If I needed a parking pass they should have given it to me at check-in.
Slide rock state park is a must see, located in Oak Creek park north of Sedona. The water is cold but it is very unique watching people slide down the rock and swim in the pools. if you side down wear full shorts, not swimsuit, I made this mistake and got raspberrys on my backside.
The best hike in the area is north of slide rock - West Fork Trail. The trail follows the creek and crosses back and forth across the creek. Most of the trail is shaded and the cliffes along the creek make for a great view. Trail is pretty flat but long, you can go as far or short as you like. There were lots of dogs swimming in the river on this trail.
We also liked Doe Mountian trail, Fay Canyon (if adventurous hike to the arch), and Boyton Canyon. The rocks are also fun to climb on, Bell rock and Cathedral rock. View from airport trail is good. We spent 4 days just hiking and had a great time.
We dined outside on the patio's at Savanna's, Catina Julienne, and Cafe Heartland, all good (but somewhat pricey except Catina) with nice athmosphere. We thought the coffee pot was overrated but it is afterall only eggs but my waffle was cold.
Grand Canyon was a 2 hour drive and it was a great way to combo the trip.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled with friends
6  Thank WMC08
Reviewed May 7, 2007

We just returned from a 7 day trip to Sedona. The accommodations at the Sedona Summit were excellent! Everything was nice and clean and very organized! We used our timeshare to book this hotel. We exchanged for a 2 bedroom unit and it was perfect for the 6 people we had in our party. I had called in advance to ask for a room with a view and we did get a beautiful view in building #21. The studio part of the unit overlooked the parking lot but the 1 bedroom section overlooked the beautiful red rocks. I had called asking to stay in Building 23,24,or 25 but was told they were the "deluxe" accommodations and with my timeshare exchange I could only get a standard 2 bedroom. It was still quite nice and I was very satisfied with the rooms! The only complaint I have is the bed pillows. They reminded me of the little pillows you might see on an airplane. They were quite uncomfortable and if I were to stay there again I would bring or buy a new pillow to use for the week. The grounds and the pools were very clean and inviting. The staff was also friendly and helpful.
I was coerced into going to the timeshare presentation and was there for 2 hours and 20 minutes.I guess it was worth going to for the $70.00 I saved on a train ride through the Verde Canyon. I did feel very pressured by the salesman but I did manage to leave with my checkbook intact. The new units are absolutely beautiful and I wish I had been in a position to buy one.
I wanted to write this review because I really found the information about this hotel, that was written by previous visitors, very helpful to me! The information about the places I should see and restaurants that were excellent made my trip so much more enjoyable!
I would definitely recommend this hotel to my friends!

• Stayed: May 2007, traveled with friends