“Nice Resort in a Beautiful Setting, Service is OK”

Sedona Summit Resort
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed August 14, 2010

General
My 10-year old son and I came back to Sedona Summit for a father-son trip. We visit this resort 2 years ago (through Interval International) and bought into the Diamond Resort time-share. The location is just gorgeous, with the red rocks in the background. Our “mesa-level” room partially overlooked the breathtaking mountains in the distance.

The resort is located about 5 miles west of downtown Sedona, very near Red Rock State Park. Oak Creek Canyon is a beautiful drive. There are many free hiking trails around (nominal parking pass fee) along with several fee-required parks. Slide Rock State Park is great family fun but be aware that the water is still cold (65-67 degrees) even in August. Grand Canyon south rim is only about a 2-hour drive away. There are also numerous other National Parks and Monuments within an hour’s drive. We visited many of these wonderful places between last 2 trips. This is a place you need to have a car.

Staff
Check in was busy when we arrived at 4:00. Our room was not ready until 5:00. Maybe because we were already Diamond owners, they did not send us to the concierge for a “parking pass” to get us to attend a time-share presentation. I have always dreaded that part of checking into time-share properties. Activities staff were helpful and friendly. But front desk was not (see below).

Resort Amenities
Parking was plentiful and within short distance to the suite. There were several pools with hot tubs scattered around the complex. There was no restaurant but many within short driving distances.

Planned activities were available but not abundant. Small game room but had plenty of things to do (foosball, video games, Wii, ping-pong, movie rental). There were laundry facilities (if you didn’t get a room with washer/dryer) and exercise room behind the reception building.

Accommodation
We stayed in a 1-bedroom suite with a balcony and partial view of the red rocks. The room was large. Everything was updated, working and clean. There was a fireplace that we did not use during the summer. The suite was quiet. Appliances were pretty new and stainless steel. Countertops were all stone. Carpet was clean and furniture was quite new and comfortable. There was a shower and a Jacuzzi tub.

There was a good-size flat panel TVs in the living room with a DVD player, and another smaller flat panel in the bedroom. A surprisingly quiet stacked washer-dryer unit was in the room. There was a laptop-size safe in the room.

Wireless internet access (from AT&T) cost $29 a week. There was no wired internet option. I would call it “low-speed internet access.” Majority of the time, it was so slow that there was barely any service. I actually got much faster and more reliable service on the flight out to AZ at 30,000 feet! When I called front desk, the person said they have had several complaints but she actually told ME to call AT&T. Really? Good management would have been proactive instead of having guests do the job for them. I called AT&T two days in a row and all they said was they were working on it!

Summary
Nice location, nice rooms. But the very slow internet service and poor front desk response led me to drop the rating to 4 stars.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
2  Thank KermitNC

Reviewed August 11, 2010

2 Bedroom unit was outstanding. Staff was great, no pressure for timeshare tour. Sedona was quite nice and friendly. Many good food choices. Must do a jeep tour. Worth the money. Grand Canyon,a 90 minute drive is a must. Can't wait to go again. Tis is a great place to relax.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled with family
1  Thank Scottb51
Reviewed August 10, 2010

Never saw single vacuum cleaner or mop brought into rooms to clean which would explain the greasy kitchen floor and odd things under the bed. Carpet was torn in several places causing both me and my husband to trip. Coffee maker never worked right. No on sight services, beds old school, and mold in the shower. No views from rooms, shame in such gorgeous natural place. Hard to find rooms in dark on arrival. No help with bags, including no carriers to even provide self service. Large living space though and in apartment wash and dry. I like a little more from my timeshare than this and would not choose this location again.

• Stayed: August 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 7, 2010

This resort is very convenient. There are a big differences in the views and quality of furnishings. When you check in you will probably find your room is not ready even though it is 3:00PM. You must leave a cell phone number and proceed to see the Conscierge. This is where you really must say no unless you are willing to trade in a morning or afternoon for a "tour" which is really a high pressure sales pitch. They all work on commission and will push and pressure. Guess not having your room ready makes it easier for you to stay and listen to their progressively enticing offers to listen to them. After all THIS IS A TIME SHARE!
On the possitive side.....there are numerous pools including adults only, family, etc. The kitchens in the 1 or 2 bedroom units are very well equipped and all the appliances work as they should. We had a lovely week there and would do it again. Oh yes, you must arrange internet directly through AT&T and it was only spotty for availability.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed August 2, 2010

After reading mixed reviews about Sedona Summit, we were apprehensive about staying at this resort. We couldn't have been more pleased with our stay. We stayed in a unit called the Sunset Suite which has recently been remodeled. The kitchen and both bathrooms had gorgeous granite counter tops. The living room and both bedrooms had large flat screen TVs. There was a large deck with beautiful views. Both bedrooms were master bedrooms with king size beds, whirlpool tubs (in both) and ceramic tiled shower stalls. If you decide to stay here, I'd recommend that you call the resort and specifically request a newly remodeled unit because I don't think all units have been renovated yet. The pool area was lovely with a waterfall, water splash area for little ones and a whirlpool tub, The pool was a comfortable temp...not freezing. The location of the resort was very convenient as well. We've stayed in a lot of resorts (Wyndham and Diamond). This one was definitely the nicest on the inside. I will add, though, that while the outside of the building was fine it was not as impressive as some of the Wyndhams that I've visited. The theming is stucco with a Mexican or Native American vibe (like most of the town of Sedona). As far as the sales pitch, they did ask if we'd like to tour. I said "no". She asked a second time but then immediately stopped after I said no a second time. We unplugged the phone in the unit and had no further sales tactics. Remember, whenever you stay at a timeshare, they are going to ask you for a tour. Just be politely assertive when you say no and you'll be fine. If you do want to take a tour, never say yes on the first try because they usually sweeten the deal if you hold out. Make sure you do the jeep tour while you're in Sedona. We used Red Rock Jeep tours and enjoyed our tour. I asked for a 15% discount off the tour price and immediately was granted it. Eat at the Barking Frog. I had the surf and turf and loved it! We tried the prickly pear cactus too so that we could say we ate cactus. Two of us liked it. The other two didn't. Allow yourself about 4 nights to really enjoy Sedona completely. Add a day if you plan to visit the Grand Canyon. Christians, check out First Assembly of God church about a mile from the resort. It's a "come as you are" cowboy church with views of Sedona from the pulpit. The people there are super friendly. You'll love this town!

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with family
4  Thank HereWeGooo
Reviewed August 2, 2010

Stayed for four nights (7/25-7/29) with our four kids in units 161 and 161P. The room was wheelchair accessible (not requested) so the furniture was sparse compared to other units. Overall, it was well-appointed and did have an upscale vibe to it. Our units had three 42" flat panel televisions, non-stick Cusinart pots and pans, and a Cusinart coffee maker. Pools were clean and well-maintained and very busy. The resort could stand to add some additional loungers umbrellas and chairs as late-comers to the rush tended to have to make do with the ground. We booked a helicopter tour through the resort but were unable to book an ATV tour as they do not have a relationship with any of the local operators. We were able to purchase forest use permits on site. Overall this is one of the best time-share properties I've had occasion to visit.

Reviewed August 2, 2010

Had to use a Diamond Resorts sampler originally bought for Hawaii. When I was unable to do that, I chose Sedona. I was happy with the experience. The location of this resort is perfect. West Sedona was less crowded than downtown, but still close to everything. We hiked every day and this resort is a perfect location for Red Rock Crossing and State Park, Cathedral Rock and several other hikes. Buy a map of the Sedona trails and you'll discover there's even two that take off from this property. One bedroom standard unit was very clean, except for the carpet - which although it felt clean, had stains from use. It was nice to have kitchen facilities. Our unit was on the very edge of the property, so even though the view from the balcony was Highway 89, as soon as you stepped out the front door you saw the gorgeous Red Rocks. Used both the family pool and adult pool and enjoyed both. Fitness room was excellent, with high quality, new equipment, and not crowded at all. Time share presentation I was required to attend was informative and no more high pressure than any other I've been to. But seeing the high end units as part of the presentation made me realize mine was only standard. But the huge tub in the bathroom was even better than a jacuzzi tub! I would definitely return and stay here again.

• Stayed: July 2010, traveled with friends