“Nice decor but SMALL!”

Ranked #23 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Southern California
“Nice decor but SMALL!”
Reviewed April 14, 2010

We thought we exchanged into what we remembered from staying here before, a unit which was spacious with a king-sized bed, large full kitchen, living room and private patio. We were placed into a one-bedroom, new unit across the street and while the decor was very nice the 1 bedroom unit was like a bachelorette or efficiency type unit with a queen bed. Our patio, as were most, and our living room window, was facing a parking lot and sitting alongside the resort sidewalk so there was absolutely no privacy! I asked if we could move to either one of the older places or to one that had a patio not on the parking lot. They said they were sold out so we had no other choice. We were given a tip by the concierge however, and that is in the future we should call a week ahead and request the 1-bdrm. Mesa units which face the gorgeous red rocks. As it turned out, we were gone all day and the nights were quiet so it was fine but I would not want to stay in such a small sized unit again for a whole week. I must say that the resort staff were really nice and as soon as I called for extra towels, or other items they were at our door within 15 minutes. Very efficient. It's hard to complain though when you are surrounded by such beautiful scenery and so many wonderful outdoor things to do here in Sedona!

• Stayed April 2010, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (599)
Florida
Reviewed April 10, 2010

Family and I were able to exchange our RCI timeshare unit for a one bedroom renovated unit at Sedona Summit. Room was very nice and tastefully decorated. Kitchen was equipped reasonably well. We did not cook all that much, but had what we needed. BBQ grills nearby were a plus for families that used them. Great gas fireplace in unit. Service was prompt: asked for extra towels dishwasher did not close flush; both times service was very prompt. Location was 5 minutes away from business districts. I liked being away from the action, but close enough get to town quickly. Very quiet and comfortable bed. Great views! Timeshare sales brought some value to us by giving us tips for the area. We booked a presentation, but had to cancel and they were courteous about refunding our $25 reservation fee. All in all, good experience. Looks like management is addressing the complaints previously posted. Great vacation. Thanks Sedona Summit.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
Delaware
Reviewed April 9, 2010

We 'won' our vacation at a school auction. We choose Sedona Summit based on timing, availability and reviews. We stayed in Building 1, studio room 203p. This building turned out to be a great location for us. There is an ice machine outside of Bldg 3. Next to our bldg. is a path that leads back to the pool, jacuzzi, pool house/activities center, ping pong and another entrance to the main lobby. In the lobby there was coffee/tea/hot chocolate available, evening entertainment (great guitar player named Dale) and two computers. Also those big checker games were in the main lobby and around the pool. Our room looked out over the parking lot, onto Bristlepine cone or pinecone bristle Street. At night the room was very quiet. We could see and hear 89A, but it didn't bother us. I did however see some buildings that were very close to 89A, and if you are a light sleeper that could bother you. Our building appeared to be original although I could see upgrades had been added to our room. I think the only thing not upgraded was cabinetry and the bathroom countertop. Every thing was clean! We knew what we were getting into when we booked a studio. I will say that once you pull the sleeper sofa out, it is a tight walk getting around. But my son said the sleeper was comfortable as was our bed. If I were to go again, I would probably book a one bedroom. But we were out of the room alot, so we enjoyed our stay and found the kitchenette to be helpful for lunch. We did easy meals at lunch.

Our room had a connecting door to a one bedroom condo and I was lucky enough to meet the woman staying there. She gave me a tour. Much more spacious living area with more open space. Here room however overlooked the lovely pool. Bigger kitchen, full oven, fireplace. I showed her my room and she loved our view! We rarely heard them through the door, and she said they didn't hear us.

Sedona Summit really needs to upgrade its computers available to guests. We saw just two, and I think there are over 400 units there. There was usually a line to hop on the computer. I think everyone was curtious and followed the request to minimize use to 1/2 hour. One disappointment was the gameroom was gone because they were working on the activities center.

DVD'S were available for rent at the activities center for a few dollars. If you don't mind driving up 89A two miles, there is a DVD rental machine outside the Walgreen's - for $1 a DVD. And you will be driving up 89A for everything.

At check in, after a very long day of traveling, I was passed down the counter for the 'parking pass'. Maybe because of the time,I didn't have to go to another building. Anyway, I was asked to attend the 'open house' on another day and I said no. The young lady asked me why, and I said we weren't interested. She left me alone after that. I did tell her that I had been up since 3:30 am her time. She got the message. I must say that everyone else I dealt with behind desks were very nice and helpful.

Sedona is a beautiful place, and I liked staying out in West Sedona.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled with family
1 Thank HawkSJU82
Lancaster, Pennsylvania
Reviewed April 9, 2010

This is the second time we stayed at Sedona Summit. We liked it so much that we brought our daughter and her family with us this time. The resort is at the edge of town, away from the chaos of the downtown. We are not Diamond owners, but our request of a first story unit was honored. The accommodations were fantastic, affording privacy even with six people. It had been renovated since the last time we were there. No view, but could walk out the door, and those gorgeous red hills were right there. Several swimming pools were available, as well as "adult only" areas. We barbecued one night on their grills. As for other advantages: there's a great hiking trail right behind the resort and great places to jog. I had a minor medical problem, and the ER was a block away. It took me 30 minutes to get in, treated, and out. Safeway a couple of blocks away, as well as a post office. Restaurants expensive, but go to nearby Cottonwood if you want reasonably priced food, especially Mexican. Went to Casa Bonita there. Really good food. If you are a pizza fan, though, try Picazzo in Sedona. It's expensive but worth it. Their pizza is really an art. Day trips out abound, from fish farms, to wineries, to Anasazzi ruins, to ghost towns, to.... Lots to do! Don't forget that the Grand Canyon is but a day trip out. On the negative side: being springbreak, the hot tubs got lots of use. One of them was questionably healthy-looking. I avoided that one. Count your towels at the mid-week room servicing. (They charge you $25 per towel if any are missing.). The housekeepers forgot to replenish 4 towels. When we went to the front desk to get new ones, however, there was no problem. Everything you read about the timeshare people is correct. They do show you the "wowy-kazowy" rooms which the Diamond people gets, so that immediately makes you feel like your present accommodations are second-class. They advertize "no pressure," but we went through 4 or 5 people before they would accept "no." Not a problem for us. We knew what we were getting into when we signed up. We've been to worse!
Basically, we liked the Sedona Summit, and we'll probably stay there again. If you want ritzy living, go someplace else. If you want nice accommodations in a great location, the Summit is the place to go.

• Stayed April 2010, traveled with family
3 Thank schneewitchen
North Carolina
Reviewed April 1, 2010

I exchanged my Marriott for Sedona Summit and regretted it. I wanted to go on Trip Advisor and complain about the timeshare sales people but many, many people beat me to it. My room was nice and that's where it ended. I should have read everyone's posts first. By my experience and reading everybody elses you can see they set up this scam from the time you walk in. I got there at 8:30pm and they said the room wasn't ready (yeah right, I'm sure the maid was home in bed by then). They use this time to get you over to the timeshare sales people to set and appointment. The 90 minute sales pitch was 2 1/2 hours and they are relentless in trying to sell a $24,000 timeshare which gives you a 1 bedroom for 1 week. Go on ebay, they are giving them away. If you don't accept an appointment for a timeshare presentation you get the worst rooms. Goodbye forever!

8 Thank Cary26
Hampton
Reviewed March 27, 2010

I wish we had read some of the reviews before we exchanged our Marriott timeshare with this. The room we were given was nothng like what they show in the Interval guide. Those (the rooms across the street) seem to be reserved for those who own units with Diamond. The first impression we got when we walked in the room was the rug was not vacuumed. They service the room once during your stay - but did not vacuum of sweep the floors. There is no restaurant or bar at th facility they they did push the time share (points sales pretty heavily). This was our first trip to Sedona - which is beautiful - but, we got a poor value for our exchange by going to the Summit.

Fort Worth
Reviewed March 23, 2010

We exchanged our 2 bedroom red Marriott for the same at this resort. What we ended up with was a cigarette smoked out room, no view, and the suite backed up to the noisy highway. We ended up sleeping in the lock-out, which was quieter and smelled a little better. This was not one of the refurbished suites as was explained to us by the timeshare staff. They explained that we were stuck in this room not by Diamond Resorts, but rather by Interval and Marriott (our home resort). Really??

We explained our problem room to the front desk, who were more than willing to relocate us to a worse location, which smelled a litlle better. We had already unpacked and didn't think it was worth reloading and unloading again, so we just stayed where we started and bought about $40 in scented candles to get us through the week.

The Diamond Resorts timeshare staff is rude and insulting. Our salesman was okay, but Steve "the closer" was very rude when he realized we had no intention of buying in a resort that had slipped us a bad room. He turned us over to an even ruder "Jen" who asked us why we even came and wasted their time. ( Apparently, she has never been hit up to attend one of these presentations!) When I told her that we had only said yes to get the concierge appeased, she asked if we would simularly "attend an Amway party tomorrow" if she asked. Wow! I thought my wife was going to crawl across the desk and have at her!!
Anyway, the resort grounds are nice.
The rooms (if you are an owner) are nice.
The front desk staff is okay.
The rooms near the highway are very noisy from traffic.
There is no restaurant or lounge within walking distance.
And...Stay away from the timeshare presentation!!!

We will definitely go back to Sedona again, but we'll never go anywhere near a Diamond Resort....EVER!!

2 Thank Lobo3