“Loved our first visit to Sedona”

Sedona Summit Resort
Ranked #22 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed July 17, 2009

Had a near new/remodeled room (was a Sunset view) 2bedroom/2bathroom with granite counters in the kitchen and baths, stainless appliances and wood beamed ceiling in the living area. Three large plasma tvs and a large covered deck off the livingroom with a ceiling fan for the deck area. Great view of the red rocks from our deck. Very nice bbq area with two jenn aire bbq's out the front door. Loved the walk in shower and two person spa tubs. We had great weather for August and actually had a bit of hail for about 15-20 minutes our first evening there. It really cooled the place off and the hail was bb sized/didn't do any damage. One of the pool areas had an area where water squirted up out of the ground intermitently, the kids in the pool area seemed to really enjoy it. They also had an adult only pool area that was very nice.

Only negatives were the cushions on the leather sofa would not stay on the sofa, probably due to it being a sleeper sofa (minor issue as there were a couple of chairs that were very comfy).

The big negative was the construction crew in the unit to the left of our, they were ripping out all the tile in the bathroom that shared a joint wall with our unit. Near nonstop pounding noise for 4 days, starting at 7:30 am and not ending until close to 4:00pm. Good thing we were out and about for a good part of the day on 3 of those days! Hopefully this is not the norm as we are planning on staying in a 1 bedroom sunset view in August of 2009.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank minnieandbob
There are newer reviews for Sedona Summit Resort

Reviewed July 8, 2009

Nice setting and I'm sure some of the rooms are probably outstanding. Only problem is if youve made a trade on Interval I will guarantee that you will get the oldest, least upgraded, worst view unit that they have available. I traded from a 5 Star Colorado resort but that means nothing. Good luck but better to look elsewhere.

• Stayed: September 2008, traveled as a couple
2  Thank FloridaBarry
Reviewed July 5, 2009

This place is terrible with the worst customer service ever. The coffee maker didn't work properly. Asked for a new/different one. Never got it. Asked for more hangers. Never got them. Cleaning day was supposed to be on Tuesday. Never happened. We got a bag with some kleenex, toilet paper, etc. Another bag with towels. Never cleaned the room at all even though their booklet say they mop the floor and vacuum the carpet. And worst of all our room was directly east - VERY BRIGHT @ 5:00 am. Flimsy vertical blinds that barely block a light bulb at best.

• Stayed: July 2009, traveled as a couple
1  Thank BestNana25
Reviewed June 30, 2009

Just back from Sedona Summit. The weather was delightful. Warm days and cool evenings. The resort is located on the end of the main strip in Sedona. It's close enough to everything. What we liked best were the views from the resort. We were in Building 26, second floor. Looking out from our small (very small) balcony was all natural. If you are older or have a health problem you might want to check on the location of your unit. From the parking lot we had to walk down two flights of steps and then up one flight of steps to get into our unit.

The best part of the entire resort are the Barbeque grills and patio. Right near our building was a huge patio with dining tables a chairs, a large cooking counter and two Viking gas grills. The view from the patio of the red rocks was so beautiful. Most nights we cooked and ate outside. Also met other grillers on the patio. I surely did not mind cooking, saving money, and enjoying the most spectacular view.

There is not much going on at the "Resort" - no bars or Restaurants. The pools are a bit small. Make sure if you are not traveling with Children you find the Adult Pool.

The service was very good. We had to call for Towels, a toaster as well as a new blender, all on seperate occasions. The staff responded very quickly. We stayed in a Mesa Studio Unit (nicely decorated). I was surprised how well outfitted the little kitchen was. It even had a dishwasher and a two burner stove.

Now for the negative. The check-in was horrible. After reading the reviews we expected it. It took over 20 minutes to get the keys and we were first in line. All the time they hold onto your credit card so you can't escape. I kept saying "NO" for the "open house". When she asked me why I just said, "I don't have to tell you". Also told her we had food in the car (true). After all that, did the three flights of stairs only to open the unit door to find another couple in the unit. Well they were sure surprised. Back-up to the car we head back to the font desk. They gave us the keys to another unit and the keys don't work. Back again to the front desk.

We did purchase the internet service and it was terribly slow.

Accept for the check-in I would go back to the Sedona Summit in a heartbeat.

1  Thank BarbaraTravel
Reviewed June 28, 2009

My wife and I spent two full weeks in a one bedroom unit at the Sedona Summit Resort. It was one of the units not yet updated, but still was rather nice except for a severely scratched kitchen floor (pushing a new refrigerator into place?) and some noticable carpet stains. It was clean and roomy although the view from the back porch looked at the back of other units. The kitchen was well equipped. We were right next to the adult pool which was convenient.

The employees made one attempt to get us to the sales presentation...we said no...and that was the end of the sales pitch. At checkout we asked the (extremely busy) person to see if she could print out our (SouthWest) boarding passes (since the two computers are always busy), and she did so with a smile.

The "high-speed" wireless internet was quite slow.

1  Thank KevinNancy
Reviewed June 15, 2009

I read the reviews about the pushy sales pitch at check in and have to say, they were correct. My friend and I did a mom's week away - no children - and it was fabulous! Coming from PA, we left home at 2AM EST to head to our airport and arrived at the Summit at 2PM PST. Needless to say, the 15 hour trip was very tiresome and all we wanted to do was check in. Our room of course wasn't ready until 4PM and was told we didn't have a view because all the views were taken. Then, she said if I did the tour she may be able to find a room with a view. I politely and firmly said, "No, I have 2 timeshares and am not interested' but would prefer not to look at a parking lot. We had a lengthy back and forth and she kept adding things onto the $75.00 I would get. She threw in a 3 night stay to use at any Diamond Resort, then threw in another $50.00. I just kept saying, 'No Thank You'. It was to the point, I said, 'please just give me a key to any room, view or not, so we can check in'. She finally gave up and told me to come back at 4PM to check in and that she didn't put me down for the tour. This was by far the worst and longest pitch I ever had to go through, and I've traded through Interval several times. Usually, a polite and firm 'No Thank You' does the trick and I've always received the view I requested - no haggling required. Anyway, we used the main pool in the meantime and came back at 4, checked in which took less than one minute, got keys and found our way to a room with a gorgeous view! Guess she found one after all - secluded in bldg 20.

To look out over those red rocks for our entire stay was pretty awesome! Our one bedroom was spacious and very clean. It wasn't one of the upgraded ones, but it certainly was very nice! No complaints at all. King size bed was very comfortable and the pull out sofa was nothing to complain about. With trading the week, I didn't think we got house keeping, but they came at least 3 times while we were there, straightened up and left supplies. No matter what bldg you're in, make your way to the Sunset Pool....beautiful!

Skip the Cowboy Club unless you are into high priced drinks and impolite 20 year old blonde bartenders who are not interested in sharing local info -- maybe because we're middle aged women, and not young hunky men? They even add 10.35% tax on a drink at the bar. Save your money and go right down the street from the Summit to the Old Sedona Bar and Grill. Live entertainment, outside patio upstairs, nice bartenders who share lots of neat local things to do. They even serve 3 tap beers from the Oak Creek Brewery (Nut Brown Ale - YUM) for $4.00 (Oak Creek charges $5.50 for same size draft). They have $1.00 jello shots which are not stingy on the liquor. We didn't eat there, but should have. Eat at the Coffee Pot Restaurant (coming from the Summit, it is on the left, right before the light at Coffee Pot Dr) and make sure to have a Bloody Mary - spiced just right.

If possible, schedule a massage at the Los Abrigados Resort & Spa in Talapaque. We heard of the 'Smart Shopper' on Sedona ABC news channel and got a massage for half off, (best massage I ever had) and then had a half off steak dinner next door at Stakes and Sticks - yummy! Even, if we paid full price for the massage, it was the best I've ever had and my friend said the same for her's. Their salt water pool is heated and yours to use for the day. Also with the Smart Shopper, we could have gotten 50% off our jeep tour we took to the Grand Canyon. Our driver was full of information and informed us all about our surroundings on our 2 hour trek to the Canyon. Buy your souvenirs at the Canyon, cheaper than when you leave and the money goes to the upkeep.

Make sure you ask for a free car upgrade at the airport - we did and jokingly, asked for a convertible -- we got one, not free, but almost! So worth asking for! Thelma and Louise had a glorious fun-filled vacation in Sedona! I would stay at the Summit again.

• Stayed: May 2009, traveled with friends
3  Thank LiveLifeToFullest
Reviewed June 15, 2009

Just came back from a week in Sedona and really enjoyed our stay. Yes we were in a new room and it was very nice. I must say though because we stayed very busy for the whole week we were mainly there only in the evenings. The front desk staff were very friendly and helpful to us. We did get the word about their sales pitch and we did go. We also were told 90 minutes and it was more like 2 hours. No we didn't buy but I felt the whole time if I really wanted to get up and go it was certainly my choice. They gave us a jeep tour for setting through the presentation. Bottom line I would stay there again, it was a good time with nice people.

1  Thank ret1sg82abn