“You Can't Go Wrong with the Sedona Summit”

Sedona Summit Resort
Ranked #21 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Texas
“You Can't Go Wrong with the Sedona Summit”
Reviewed February 21, 2012

10 years ago or so we stayed at the Sedona Summit (RCI exchange). It was relatively new then and small compared to today, and was fabulous. Over the years, we've stayed at other places using RCI, but this year, we decided to try the Summit again, and I'm happy to say it is still fabulous. I would have to say, this is the best of all the options we've experienced in Sedona so far. We read all the reviews (and maybe like you, I was impressed that the complex manager takes time to respond to a good number of them) and took some of the hints and asked for a second story Sunset Suite with a view of the rocks. We called in advance to see if this request could be accommodated and while we weren't promised anything, we were promised that every attempt would be made to make us happy. Obviously not everyone can have the best views, but after having seen all the new buildings that are a part of the Summit, there are not many that I wouldn't have liked. Our home unit is a 3-bedroom, so I always try and get that in the exchange if I can. The Summit apparently only has 4 3-bedroom suites, and I did ask for an upgrade, but they were all taken the week we were there. We did get put in a 2-bedroom Sunset Suite in building 40 towards the back. I've included some pics. These are apparently some of the newer buildings in the complex. But again, I don't think you can go wrong anywhere...Suite, Mesa, whatever. I talked to some Diamond owners for whom the Summit is there home unit, and they just love the Mesa...wouldn't have anything else. I might also note there were several big trucks parked on the main road while we were there and new furniture was being put in a lot of units. The Summit is obviously always updating. Some of our furniture (bar stools and carpet) as another reviewer also pointed out, were stained. I was glad to see that these are in line for replacement soon. Other than that, we were very pleased with our two bedroom unit. Just as an example of how great it is, when we walked in, we were wowed and when we saw the two bedrooms, we honestly could not decide which one was the master suite. They both were in our estimation! We had two friends joining us and they were equally impressed and thought we had given them the master suite! We used everything, the fireplace (electric), the jacuzzi bathtubs, the spacious porch, the hot tubs and pool. The kitchen was great, and stocked with everything you needed. Appliances were very up to date. Everything worked, and the few times we called the front desk for something (extra blanket) it was sent right over and the "runner" absolutely refused to take any tip. That was very impressive to me.

There have been a lot of comments in previous reviews about pressure to schedule a sales pitch when checking in. This was offered us, but there was no pressure whatsoever. They accepted our declination with no noticeable change in the quality of service being given us whatsoever. I appreciated that.

The location of the Sedona Summit has its pros and cons. Some people think it is too far out. Personally, I think it is perfect. It is about 3 miles west of town, and near a lot of the excellent shopping and restaurants. Many of them are out that way which is very convenient. Examples are two of our fave restaurants, the Heartline Cafe, and Pizza Picasso. We also like the convenience of having a wonderful grocery store such as "New Frontiers" so close. It is also close to the Boynton Canyon Road, and right across from the complex, is the start of the beautiful "Red Rock Canyon Scenic Drive". The views out that way are fabulous. And if you're going to Phoenix, the best way out is to leave the unit and keep heading west to Cottonwood and then down to the Interstate.

All in all, we had an excellent stay in Sedona, and much of it was because of the fine accommodations we found at the Sedona Summit. I am of the school that you often get what you expect. I can say we expected a lot and that's what we got! I hope you do as well.

Room Tip: Sunset Suites in back of property on second floor our favorite
3 Thank Paul S
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, February 22, 2012
Thank you very much for your great review on your recent stay with us here at the Sedona Summit.

We are happy to hear that you exchanged into our resort through RCI. There are many resorts in Sedona that you can exchange into with RCI. Thank you for selecting us. We will not let down our RCI guests and will continue to serve them with World Class service.

We appreciate the tips and the comments on getting new furniture into our rooms. We are always doing something here at the Summit to refine our guest experience here at the resort.

It is refreshing to hear that after 10 years from your last visit that you find the Sedona Summit fabulous.

We care about our owners and guests. We will continue to work our hardest for all staying with us here at the Sedona Summit. I enjoy responding to reviews on trip advisor and learning plenty from the owners and guests who write them. No matter what the review is we are fortunate for the people who write them and share with all. I will be here reading them and passing out kudos to my team or de-brief with my team on how we could have done thing better. If we have to stay up till 2AM fixing issues then that is what we will do.

Thank you very much for the photos of your stay. They are very nice. I am happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay and we hope to have you back soon here at the Sedona Summit.

Yours in Hospitality,

Michael Pena
Sedona Summit
Michael.Pena@Diamondresorts.com

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (595)
Holland, Michigan
Reviewed February 11, 2012

We made an RCI exchange for a 1 bedroom villa (not a Studio). Some of our experiences are a repeat of what you can read in other reviews, so I won't go thru long explanations. Check-in was friendly and quick. We previously requested a unit on the nort side of the property (away from 89A). The request was honored and we had a choice between a downstairs or an upstars unit. The "required" pick-up of the parking pass exposed us to a nice, young lady who begged us to go thru the sales presentation. She was not rude, just persitent and ultimately successful, since the Helicopter ride was just too tempting. The sales presentation was not unusual, typical high pressure and the sales associate was not taking a No for a final answer.
We arrived at night and it was hard to find the building # since the lighting of the area is pretty subdued. The first impression of the villa was very good. The rooms are decent sizes, with the bath room actually being oversized compared to the living or bed rooms. However, a 1 bedroom unit with a queen size bed is just not what I had expected. So I tried the pullout sofa (which was wider than the bed ..) just to find out that the matress support was badly damaged (Wires sticking out, matress support ripped). I still managed to sleep on it without injury. The patio was nice, but just a parking lot view, no sun all day. The flat screen TV are very nice, WIFI is only free if you have a qualifying AT&T account. AT&T cell phone coverage was non existent. When I tried to use the outdoor grills I found out, that there are no grilling utensils located neither by the grills nor in the appartments. One lucky "Grillmaster" got a few tools at the concierge desk. Overall we had a nice stay (except the sleeping situation).
The rating considered the fact that this is a resort and not a hote/motel and I have higher expectations when booking at a resort. All my home resorts are similar or better than Sedona Summit. Also, if you book an exchange, don't expect to get a top location within the resort, they will usually go to Diamond owners, which is understandable.

Room Tip: Avoid units adjacent to Hwy 89A
10 Thank psptcons
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, February 14, 2012
Thank you for your review of our resort here on tripadvisor in regards to your recent RCI Exchange.

We are very fortunate for our RCI Members that select the Sedona Summit for their vacation experience. There are many locations in Sedona that RCI has available to stay at while in Sedona. We consider ourselves fortunate to have RCI Members stay with us. We won’t let them down and are just as important as our owners that own here at the Sedona Summit. We have to juggle sometimes to make all happy, but with 417 units and an aggressive occupancy all year we will have to utilize all of our rooms.

We are always here to take requests and to see how we can fulfill them. Yes, requests are not guaranteed but, we look hard at what we have to select from.

You must have stayed in a one bedroom sunset unit (with a queen size bed in the master bedroom). Thank you for highlighting the room for us on how you enjoyed it and the reference to AT&T as it helps others who stay at the Sedona Summit.

We also provide BBQ utensils that are available for check out at the front desk. So rest assured you will be able to BBQ in one of our many BBQ areas just like you would at home. You can return them back in the big sleeve they come in dirty and let us do the cleaning. You can check out a fresh set each time you want to BBQ.

Thank you very much for exchanging into our resort through RCI and we look forward to your return stay with us here at the Sedona Summit.
Michigan, United States
Reviewed February 11, 2012

My husband and I just returned from a week's stay at the Summit. What a beautiful and comfortable stay. We stayed in the Mesa Suite and found everything to be very accommodating. Anytime I needed anything, the front desk was very attentive. Sedona is a gorgeous and I mean gorgeous place to visit. We enjoyed many, many hours walking/hiking the trails. And there are tons and tons of them to choose from. We would love to go back and would definitely stay at The Summit again.

4 Thank Shari W
Thank you very much for your review of our resort here on tripadvisor.

We are happy to read that you enjoyed your Mesa suite and all the amenities that came with it.

We look forward to your return stay with us and thank you for your business with the Sedona Summit.
Michigan
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Just returned from our stay at the Sedona Summit Resort. The staff and everyone we came into contact with at the resort went above and beyond exceptional service. Anything and everything we asked for or about was provided almost immediately. We stayed in a 2 bedroom Sunset Suite with 3 flat screen TV's, a fireplace and huge balcony overlooking the red rocks. We were in building 40 on the 2nd floor in the back. The kitchens and bathrooms were updated with granite countertops, jacuzzi tubs (loved it) and huge showers, and copper hammered under-mounted sinks. Beds were very comfortable. Washer and dryer came in very handy and resort provided extra Tide for our use when we asked for more.

Did not use the pools or hot tubs, weather a little cool for that, but did sit outside one afternoon and enjoyed the sun by the pool. Gas grills were also available, but did not use them.

On the down side, the carpets needed replacing and the cushions on the bar stools were stained. Furniture in living and dining area was too heavy and dark for my taste but adequate.

Overall, this resort met all of our wants and needs. Would definitely stay there again.

Room Tip: Back side of resort, second floor to have the best views.
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled with friends
3 Thank DianneK47
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, February 9, 2012
Thank you very much for your review on your recent stay with us.

Reading your review it looks like you were in building 40, on the second floor. You did the right thing and reserved a 2 bedroom Sunset unit. I am happy to read that you enjoyed it and was pleased with the forest view. Thank you for the highlights of the room.

The issues on the carpet and barstools are being addressed this year with replacement furniture and carpet program. We are waiting for the furniture to arrive before pulling out the existing ones.

Thank you for your stay and we look forward to your continued business with us. Please consider us your home away from home.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 8, 2012

Last month, I had the pleasure of staying at the Sedona Summit with 4 of my best friends while celebrating my milestone birthday. Upon arrival, one word came to all of our minds: Fabulous! As a Diamond Resort owner, who is currently residing in the U.K., I have had the opportunity to experience properties everywhere from Maui, Hawaii to Mougins, France . . . . and I must say, this property rivals those with great ease. Not only was the location desirable, the view impressive and the 3-bedroom Sunset suite beautiful, but, the staff -- namely Concierge-extraordinaire, Molly Cherry -- went above and beyond to ensure that our stay and celebration were most memorable. I would recommend this property without hesitation and look forward to staying again . . . and again! Well Done and Cheers!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank Kandace B
“Stellar Stay”, that is what we like to hear. We will continue to work our hardest to get all who stay at the Sedona Summit to say this as they depart our resort.

We are happy to read that you found our staff helpful and exceeding your expectations. Be assured that all who stay with us will receive world class service and enjoy their stay with us.

Thank you for the “Well Done” and we will continue to strive to be the best in all of Sedona.

We are grateful for your business with Diamond Resorts International and look forward to your continued business.
Cedarville, Ohio
Reviewed February 6, 2012

My wife & I stayed in a 1 bedroom, very roomy and nicely appointed with granite counter tops, large bathroom with garden tub & shower, tray ceiling, visual fireplace, large flat screen TV, nice patio and very nice pool complex. Our second trip to Sedona in three years and we are reserving another condo for 2012, yes at Sedona Summit. This time a 2 bedroom unit so we can bring our grandson for a graduation present to the Grand Canyon & other sites. We were pleasantly surprised that the staff didn't constantly disturb us with a sales pitch and were very professional. We are falling in love with northern Arizona. The only real negative was, at the time, WiFi wasn't free, as many resorts do offer this feature free but some restaurants in the area offer free WiFi which is what we did only at lunch time.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
2 Thank thistlehill
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, February 8, 2012
We are happy to read that you are falling in love with Northern Arizona. Mostly we are pleased that you are coming back for a second stay here at the Sedona Summit where you can enjoy Northern Arizona to the fullest.

We consider ourselves very lucky to have you celebrate your special family activity at our resort. Booking a 2 bedroom, I may suggest a 2 bedroom Sunset or a 2 bedroom lock off Mesa.
Thank you very much for your great review and highlighting your stay with us. Rest assured that when you stay here at the Sedona Summit we are striving for great vacation memories.

We look forward to your return stay with us and thank you for your business. We are your home away from home.
Chino, California
Reviewed February 3, 2012

I want to start with our resort and vacation experience first because it was ok. Everything was clean and working although the decorations were dated. Sedona itself was beautiful, really breath taking. I advise going on the hikes and the jeep trails. We were going to do the pink jeep tour but after thinking about it, I wanted to drive the jeep myself and go on our own adventure so we booked the Barlow jeep for half a day. I would do a full day next time because it was so fun.

The worst part of Sedona Summit was the sales presentation that seemed unavoidable once we checked in. We got $80dollars off our jeep rental but it wasn't worth our terrible presentation experience.

I don't want to go into too much detail but basically we showed up early at 12:15p, but they weren't ready for us so we waited 30 minutes and started at about 1:15p. We had a tennis lesson later in the day at 3pm and we told them from the beginning we wanted to make it since they already wasted 30minutes of our time. We told the presenter we needed to be out at 3pm but it seemed like no one cared. At 2:45pm we emphasized we had to go and was not interested then another presenter (manager) came to try to sell us and again we told him we had to leave. Already late for our appointment we were done at 3:10p and was sent to another person who supposedly signs our presentation completion paper but then he started to try and push another product. Ugh...We told him we need to leave and at 3:15p we finally left and got our gift. Never again will I stay here or go to another timeshare presentation.

10 Thank jasonp208
MichaelPena, General Manager at Sedona Summit Resort, responded to this review, February 6, 2012
We appreciate your feedback about your recent stay here at the Sedona Summit.

It looks like the review was centered on your sales presentation that you selected to go on. I will be sure to forward this review off to our sales team. Typically our guests who arrive select to go on this presentation because of their choice to do so and to see all the benefits with Diamond Resorts. It really is a great opportunity to hear about Diamond Resorts. However, I can see if you have a pressing appointment and your time is pushing into another event that you would have a concern. Rest assured that all guests have a choice.

Our last designed phase was our Sunset section about four years ago. I am not too sure of which designed you are referring to as being dated. All of our units have been renovated and have a contemporary design. The design was studied and reviewed to give us the best look inside of our units. Sorry to hear you thought it was dated. Our owners and guests continue to compliment our design and like it.

I appreciate your time on sharing your experience with all of us and wish you the best on all your vacation travels. Thank you for your stay with us at the Sedona Summit.