“A "Real" review of the Sedona Real....”

Sedona Real Inn and Suites
Ranked #12 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Arizona
“A "Real" review of the Sedona Real....”
Reviewed October 20, 2013

Our room was booked on Hotwire for $137.00 per night (w/taxes that comes to $171.00).

We had an average greeting upon arrival....not overly friendly. We did arrive at 1:40 and were allowed to check in after being told check in wasn't until 3 p.m. We both were at the check in desk, and were obviously a couple. When we got to our room it was two double beds. Since it was a hotwire booking, you can't specify rooms, but I would think an observant check in clerk would assume we would want a king bed or ask our preference. We didn't say anything, because overall it wasn't a big deal and we already had all our luggage brought to our room and had been allowed to check in early.

The room is basic, but does afford some nice amenities like a microwave, refrigerator, coffee pot, and a lighted makeup mirror. Also, it had six towels, which is great, because most hotels only offer 3-4 at the most. In addition, the room was very clean.

My only complaint with the bedding was the pillows. Each bed had four pillows which is a lot, but they were all too big and uncomfortable. I know everyone has a different pillow preference, but when offering four, have at least two that are thinner/softer. The bed itself was soft and comfortable.

The walls are a little thin and we could hear all the activity outside when people walk by and the housekeeping carts in the morning.

The breakfast was outstanding and really did make the price of the room more valuable. It offered everything from scrambled eggs, sausage, waffles, toast, oatmeal, cereal, yogurt, fruit, and more. The lady working in the kitchen was very pleasant.

As far as location...I used to live in Sedona so I know the area well. It really isn't by any of the tourist shops, jeep tours, very little restaurants within walking distance, etc. It is on the edge of town in West Sedona off the main road, heading down a residential street. With that being said though, everything in Sedona is only a 5-15 minute drive.

The housekeepers were very pleasant, and do a great job cleaning the rooms.

I think one of their patio or balcony rooms would have been nice, but we had a standard room with no view (it appears that about 3/4 of the hotel doesn't have patios or views though).

Overall it was a nice stay...

Room Tip: Book one of the limited patio/balcony rooms.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert_Holeman, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 28, 2013
Thank you for staying with us! We recognize there are plenty of hotels in the area. That being said, Sedona Real as your choice says a lot. As a former local, your impressions and suggestions are valuable. We're happy to hear that most, if not all, aspects of your stay were satisfactory. I am glad you brought up the front desk anticipating needs. This is exactly the type of responsiveness we strive towards and the reason we hire people that genuinely care. One note is that we only offer queen and king beds at the hotel. Please let me know if you plan on visiting again. I would like to have your reservation managed by our leadership team. Our direct rates are generally less and you get the best booking conditions. We hope we have won your continued loyalty!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (344)
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We stayed here for 4 nights and found the staff absolutely wonderfully accomodating. Couldn't have been more helpful. Convenient to up town and trails. Room was very clean and spacious. Loved the little balcony looking out to the mountains across the way. Bed was very comfy. Didn't have breakfast but thats not what I look for in a hotel...its the accomodations and pleasantness of the staff! I can't say enough about this hotel or the staff. We were right by the vending & ice machine and found them not to be an issue at all. I had the best nights sleep. Would stay here again. I have already told family and friends if they plan a visit they need to stay here! As a matter of fact, I hope to make reservations here again next year!

1 Thank Linda M
Thank you for leaving this wonderful review! I am thrilled to hear you had a fantastic stay that exceeded your expectations in every way. Keep and eye out for specials here on TripAdvisor and remember that return guests always receive and automatic 15% discount. We look forward to serving you again!
Youngstown, Ohio
Reviewed October 20, 2013

We have stayed at the Sedona Real three times. We love the location in West Sedona and the value for the price. The Relics Restaurant is next door and offers great food in a rustic atmosphere. Some of the best hikes in the Sedona area such as Devil's Bridge, Cathedral Rock, and Bear Mountain are just a few minutes drive away. The hotel has a nice pool and hot tub. The king suites have a fire place, sink, microwave, and comfortable furniture.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thanks a bunch! We are grateful for your loyalty to our inn and happy to hear you have had multiple opportunities to spend time in beautiful Sedona. Come and see us again soon!
Evansville, Indiana
Reviewed October 19, 2013

We booked our room through Expedia. It was a "Run of the House" room. That meant nothing to me and the Expedia agent did not know the definition either. Our check in was uneventful. When we got to our room, however, we were located directly across a narrow concrete hall from the ice and vending machines. All rooms are entered from the outside. Our room was also directly under the stairs leading to the second floor. After looking at the room, we returned to the front desk. I was told there were no other rooms available. I asked about other rooms where the travelers had not yet checked in and was told they were not available. When I asked why not, I was told "customer preference." I said the room was not acceptable and was told they could not credit my credit card because I had booked with Expedia. I was told to contact Expedia about the credit. I also questioned the "authorization fee" of $25.00 which the hotel had charged to my account. They did credit that amount. A man appeared and was questioning me. He insulted me by asking me if I stay in hotels (I have booked and stayed in hotels all over the US, in Canada, in western Europe and the Caribbean). My assumption was that he was asking because of my age. He then informed me that he just returned from a recent trip to Las Vegas where they precharged authorizations to his room of $500 a day. Not sure why that was relevant to the issue at hand but I found it obnoxious. When I contacted Expedia, they told me that they would have to contact the hotel to see if the hotel would agree to credit my account. After two plus days of waiting, I was told the hotel refused to credit my account. So, the hotel received payment for an unoccupied room, or they rented the room to someone else, thus being double paid. I learned that Expedia is essential an agent of the airlines, hotels, etc. and does not represent the interests of the people booking through it. This was a very disappointing experience. I have never been treated so rudely by any staff at any hotel, nor have I ever experienced a hotel that refused to be even somewhat accommodating.

Room Tip: Be very clear about the type of room you want and do not accept a "Run of the House" room.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
2 Thank Anne P
Robert_Holeman, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 22, 2013
Thank you for reaching out here which gives me the opportunity to clarify and respond to your experience. When you were leaving the property, I understood my mistake. As you clearly and unfortunately 'accurately' portrayed our interaction I know I only made a bad situation worse. I am the person who shared his experience concerning my Las Vegas trip last year. I apologize personally for my actions. I would like to explain a couple of things to you that might shed some light on the situation. It was a weekend; I often come in to catch up on paper work and reports. As I was leaving the property, I stopped by the front desk to make sure all is fine before I leave as usual. What I heard was not an accurate representation of what is an industry standard. We do not charge credit cards at check in; standard industry practice is to obtain “Pre Authorization”. This means we verify the funds are available for future charges during the stay and any possible incidentals (phone charges, room service movies etc.). Since the internet and identity theft we are explaining these actions all the time. In almost all cases it appears as a charge online and some guests have complained about it, so I was trying to avoid miscommunication thinking you were checking in, not unsatisfied with accommodations and leaving. For this I am sorry.
As I listened to the Front desk agent try explain the “pre-authorization” in terms of “charge” and “debit” when those are not true. I take personal pride to explain everything correctly to avoid situations like yours happening and sometimes when I think before understanding the situation I make it worse. What really made me jump in was when our associate said he could reverse the charges. We are doing more training with all associates to avoid this in the future.
I have talked with the front desk manager and asked why we didn’t release the charges for Expedia and it was not followed through properly. We are contacting Expedia and your refund will be coming.
I have asked our contact at Expedia to make sure that ‘Run of the House’ room types are understood by the sales team at Expedia. This means that we have the right to put the purchaser of this into any room type, ‘Run of the House’. Unfortunately, we were sold out that night or we may have had another comparable room available to move you into. As a result of this issue with that particular room, we are removing the Ice machine, vending machine and the wall which they sit by the end of November. If there is anything further you would like to discuss, feel free to contact me directly at the hotel. And for the benefit of any community members planning a visit, I’d like to invite you to contact the hotel for any questions regarding booking a room at Sedona Real through Expedia or any online channels. We would be happy to serve you! Thank you again for your understanding.
Ferndown, Dorset
Reviewed October 16, 2013

We ended up in Sedona thanks to the Government Shutdown closing all the National Parks, so booked last minute (20 minutes before arriving), they had a room ready and were really helpful with suggestions for the area. Bed was comfy and clean, shower was great. The breakfast was the best we had for the full two weeks travelling in Utah / Arazona / Nevada. Would stay again, good value for money.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Robert_Holeman, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 20, 2013
Thank you for choosing us! I am pleased to read your experience with our rooms, staff and amenities exceeded your expectations. Specifically, your compliment of our complimentary breakfast is appreciated. We hope you were able to do most of your planned visits, despite the shutdown! The US southwest is like no other place in the world! Thanks again for taking the time to share your experience!
Valdosta, Georgia
Reviewed October 15, 2013

We stayed here for one night. The room was nice and spacious with a fireplace and a patio. We stayed in building 4, so the patio faced the wooded area. They provide breakfast with hot and cold items. The staff was very nice.

• Stayed October 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your favorable review. As a frequent traveler, your impressions of our service, rooms and breakfast are meaningful. We sincerely hope another Sedona visit will find you at Sedona Real Inn!
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed October 15, 2013

Comfortable,clean and economical place to stay. Close to attractions but not cluttered. The concierge (Todd) knows everything you'll need.
The front desk (Mr. Jaylin?) exceeded our expectations with our request.
Ms. Teresa (the reservationist) assured me that I would not be disappointed. She actually was onsite (not overseas)!
The breakfast was good, but the staff was superb! The views from the front buildings are spectacular

1 Thank KL R
Robert_Holeman, General Manager at Sedona Real Inn and Suites, responded to this review, October 18, 2013
Thank you for drawing attention to our team! We really appreciate the warm acknowledgement. Sedona is a happy place to live and work. We strive to hire people that genuinely care and love our town. We hope another visit out West is in your plans!