“Views are the best!”

The Orchards Inn of Sedona
Ranked #16 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
“Views are the best!”
Reviewed August 16, 2013 via mobile

We recently stayed 3 nights at The Orchards Inn. No question the red rock views are incredible, with a nice terrace to enjoy them on. Staff is very friendly and courteous. We had 2 king rooms for our family of 4, both were well appointed & spacious with a nice gas fireplace - which we obviously didn't need in August, but it made the room homier. My only criticism would be the bathrooms. It's great we had 2 separate sinks outside the toilet/bath area, but the counters were cheap builder grade material with messy caulking, very chipped & scratched. The bathroom itself was very plain & tired looking. Just too bad it didn't mesh with the rest of the room.

• Stayed August 2013
2 Thank parklover394

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (438)
North Port, FL
Reviewed August 13, 2013 via mobile

We are two adults and we stayed one night on 8/11/13. I booked the king suite. The front desk staff were friendly and professional. They gave us suggestions on places to have dinner, showed us a menu, and even offered to make us reservations. The room was very clean and a good size. It was beautiful! Fire place , kitchenette, sofa and they have shampoo, conditioner, body wash, soap, and lotion in the bathroom. The view is absolutely incredible! I could sit on the patio for hours. Its in the middle of downtown so you can walk to almost anything. Our room was quiet. We got two breakfast vouchers for breakfest at canyon breeze restaurant. The food there is meh but it was free. I would highly suggest this hotel!!

• Stayed August 2013
1 Thank moonglow22
Dumont, New Jersey
Reviewed August 9, 2013

My 2 daughters and I stayed for one evening and we had a fine experience. My cousin was visiting for the day and management allowed him to park his car in their lot which helped us out. I thought the location, the view and what we got for the price we paid was more than fair. Our welcome was courteous and friendly and the room was clean and functional. I always appreciate a coffee maker in the room! We were also offered a free breakfast at an eating establishment a couple of yards away, which was a surprise and they also had coffee and tea in the lobby in the morning. I would definitely stay here again, I enjoyed being able to walk to the local restaurants where we had wonderful food!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
seattle, wa
Reviewed August 7, 2013

The hotel was pretty highly rated on here, and at $200+ per night I guess I expected something more special. The hotel is located in the middle of the main touristy area of town. For some, that may be a good thing. But to me it just means the hotel is surrounded by a lot of kitschy stores with overpriced doo-dads and sub-par restaurants. Sedona's a pretty small town, and traffic/parking aren't much of an issue, so I don't really see much benefit to being right in the heart of things. Anyway, to each his own. As some reviewers have said, you pull into the lot and it's basically a motel fronting the road. All of the rooms do have a view of the red rocks in back, but again, let's be honest-- if you've got a nice hotel room in Sedona you're pretty much always going to have a view of the red rocks, right? The room itself was nice, had the feel of a converted condo. Lots of space, gas fireplace, large balcony. Three sinks, microwave and fridge. Good, but nothing spectacular. Almost none of the hotels in Sedona offer free breakfast and this was no exception, but with a fridge, microwave, and plenty of restaurants around, that wasn't an issue for us. The pool was nice-- good sized pool and hot tub. The only complaint about the pool area was the pungent scent of marijuana wafting down from the balconies where a bunch of teens were hanging around all weekend. Not the hotel's fault, but just annoying. Hotel staff were friendly and helpful, the place was kept pretty clean and appeared well-managed. I'd say it's an adequate base from which to explore the area, but the next time I'm in Sedona I'll definitely be looking at some of the more secluded spots on the outskirts.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
6 Thank tinadam
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

Great hotel. Right in the center of town whilst still providing a quiet relaxed atmosphere. Stunning views from balcony. Great service and local knowledge by very helpful staff. Parking right outside room. Loved Loved our stay in Sedona.

Room Tip: choose room with balcony. can use facilities at sister hotel below this one.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank TLC056
London, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed July 31, 2013

We spent 2 nights at Orchards Inn on the 20 and 21 July 2013. We had a room on the second floor which I strongly recommend, it has great views and is a good distance from the car park so you don't get noise from the car park. Orchards Inn is more like a motel than a hotel and is quite expensive, but worth every penny for the view. The room has a large balcony with great views of the red rock.

The hotel is centrally located in town, making it easy to get to all the shops. The hotel is also closely located to L'Amberge restaurant (see my review) which is a fantastic place to eat. While the restaurant is very close, they can send a car to pick you up and take you back to Orchards, which is handy when it rains (and boy can it rain!).

One of the drawbacks of the room is that it doesn't have a room safe, which is a bit of a pain. Also, the parking is first come first served however, there is additional parking a very short distance away. Also there are no lifts, so can be a little difficult to haul heavy luggage up to the second floor. However, the second floor is only one level above the car park, so not too bad.

As pointed out by Mikiai57, the breakfast we paid for (buffet) was actually a very poor Continental breakfast - coffee, juice, cereal and a pastry. We were offered 20% discount on the full breakfast plus £4.00 off the cost of the meal. Not really good enough, I would have preferred a refund on what we paid for the breakfast. The breakfast is also not provided in the hotel but in a restaurant a short walk down the road. It wasn't a big deal, but a minor irritation that was not necessary.

Would I stay here again, yes I would, but I would insist on not paying for the breakfast.

Room Tip: (1) Get a room on the second floor. (2) Don't pay for the breakfast if you can get away with it.
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled as a couple
2 Thank Edwin G
Chicago, IL
Reviewed July 30, 2013

I couldn't agree more with Tide Traveler 98 ... this hotel has a lot of potential, but at this point you simply do NOT get what you paid for. We were on the first floor ... the room was very large - 2 queen beds plus pull out sofa (a red rocks deluxe I believe it was called), gas fireplace (not working), dog patio/grass.

Negatives first:
Sedona had apparently had a bit of rain prior to our arrival as there were sandbags piled outside of our door. (An odd welcome. Perhaps put us on a higher floor? Just a suggestion.) The view that we were paying extra for wasn't worth it. (Again, a higher floor and it would've likely been fantastic.) The pool was cloudy, as in couldn't see the bottom cloudy. Wi-fi was out for the duration of our trip. There were no lights on the stairs down to the pool or terrace; we had to use the flashlight app on our phones!

Positives: Great location; in the center of town but you didn't walk directly out onto the main drag, pretty comfy bed

and the odd:
We were told no pets upon check in (no big deal, the dog stayed home), but there was doggie grass right outside with a sign asking us to clean up after the pooch. Wouldn't it make more sense to allow dogs on the first floor and no dogs "upstairs"? There was a block of about four rooms with a gate off the back patio(s) that lead down to a path. Just not sure why the gate was necessary and found it strange that you have to walk past other rooms to get to the gate. (Our neighbor said, "It's not really a gate." Which explains to me why it opened outward, but whatever)

So, yes, I'm a bit down on this place. They totally oversold it on the phone, the pics make it look significantly nicer than it is, and in general they weren't that friendly/helpful. I'd give them a 2 if not for the location / setting.

Room Tip: If you can, choose a higher floor!
  • Stayed July 2013, traveled with family