“Will never go back!” 1 of 5 bubbles

Florida
“Will never go back!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 24, 2008

This hotel was a total nightmare. Where do I begin-
1st- I have a 9 month old son who was ancy to get down and crawl after a long car ride. I put him on the carpet and discovered that his knees and legs were covered in this black/green dirt. After I washed him off, I noticed that he had a rash all over his face, legs and feet. I felt the carpet, and they were wet. The carpets had just been "cleaned", so please explain why my son had this black/green dirt all over him??
After speaking with the front desk person- who was extremely rude- she had told me that there was only one other room available, and it would be "much more expensive". I could care less about the price, but don't you think that they should have changed our room to a room with dry carpet without forcing us to pay for the change?? Terrible customer service to say the least.
After the front desk person asked me what I expected her to do to help me, I asked her to call my room with a solution. She called back and told me that the other room was no longer available. Not to mention that I walked onto the office while she was on the phone trying to sell that last room to another person.
2nd- The room had an absolutely terrible smell, so bad that we had to leave our door open to air the room out.
3rd- there is no safe, like the brouchure says
4th- this place was just over all a dump- the rooms were extremely out dated. It's kind of like visiting an old crazy aunt's house- miss matched everything.
5th- I do have to say that the view is nice
6th- the pool was nasty, kind of a green film on the bottom. I don't know many parents who would let their kids swim in a green pool.
Needless to say, I will never EVER return to this hotel, not only from the disgustingness of the room, but for the TERRIBLE customer service. This is the worst place I have ever stayed.

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — Disgusting rooms
  • Stayed June 2008, traveled with family
3 Thank EventPlannerFL

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (424)
Overland Park, KS
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 29, 2008

We stayed at the Orchards Inn 3 nights and had a pleasant stay.
The views were incredible. Probably the best in town.
The only problem was the fireplace timed out after 10 minutes.
That was a bit disappointing, but it was very nice to have a refrigerator and microwave in the room. Also, the water pressure in the shower was the strongest I've ever encountered in a hotel.
The location is perfect. Right in the center of the town and you can walk to everything! Highly recommend Orchards!

• Liked — The View
  • Disliked — The fireplace
  • Stayed May 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Alexandria, Virginia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 7, 2008

We discovered the Orchards Inn of Sedona from the TripAdvisor forums. I am obsessive about choosing the right hotel - so I checked it out pretty thoroughly. I searched other sites for reviews and actually checked out the hotel on Google Earth to see how the view might look (the location on Google Earth is wrong, puts the hotel to the west of the Y when it's actually to the east). Then, to be sure we were really happy with our stay, I emailed the hotel and mentioned a few concerns I'd seen on these boards....they addressed the concerns by basically saying, it's not a brand new hotel, but it's in good shape, the views are amazing, and it is really how it appears online. They reassured me that all would be well....and they were right!! We easily found the parking lot and never had a problem getting a space. We arrived right at check-in time and had courteous, helpful welcome and the same great service at checkout. Our room was just as I had reserved on the top floor (3rd) with one of the best views of MY LIFE, a nice gas fireplace, a large balcony, comfy beds, well-working clean bathroom, etc. It was DELUXE. We woke up to watch the sunrise and I wished we could have stayed another night.

The hotel staff provided me a 10% discount on the Pink Jeep Tour when I mentioned that we had one booked. We took the Broken Arrow Tour. I have been fortunate to travel to many places, but at one point on the tour I said outloud..."this is the best place I've ever been". FYI, the Pink Jeep Tour place is a block or so down a shop-filled street. We spent the afternoon in the shops - quite a range from beautiful artwork to 'dirt' t-shirts and all sorts of Sedona souveniers.

We had a truly wonderful dinner at the Cowboy Club and the price was actually very reasonable - we had the sampler appetizer with buffalo (YUM!), rattlesnake (ok), and cactus fries (pretty good) and 3 different appetizers that were all fantastic. My son raved about the brie pork chops. Portions were great. The waitress was so friendly and everyone in the place seemed to be enjoying themselves. We walked in on a Fri night at about 7pm and had just a 15 minute wait. We filled it by looking at all the handprints/photos from famous western movie stars.

Love Sedona. We'll be back...and I'd stay at the Orchards Inn, eat at the Cowboy Club and take as many jeep tours and hikes as time would allow.

• Liked — The view, nice & quiet, safe, great location
  • Stayed March 2008, traveled with family
1 Thank mytravelstuff
Ottawa, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 28, 2008

We stayed in a room on the second floor for 4 nights. (Be prepared to carry your bags yourself up the stairs. We arrived at 8 p.m. after the reception office had closed.)

The king-sized bed was super comfortable, the pillows were high quality, and we especially appreciated the gas fireplace and mini fridge. Because the hotel is literally built into the hillside, the view from the balcony out over the Oak Creek valley is fantastic. We were able to use the pool and hot tub on the warmer days.

In terms of the ability to walk to shopping and restaurants, the location of this hotel could not be better. I recommend the Cowboy Club across the street for its atmosphere, and the Wildflower Bread Company for affordable breakfasts and lunches.

I loved everything about this hotel - the location, the view, the comfortable bed, and other amenities. It was a great value for the price. I certainly recommend it and would return. No other hotel we stayed at on our Arizona-Nevada trip in that price range even came close.

Our favourite hike was the Bell Rock -Courthouse Butte trail. Don't miss it!

• Liked — The location.
  • Disliked — The small, hidden parking lot.
  • Stayed February 2008, traveled as a couple
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
      Business service (e.g., internet access)
Phoenix, Arizona
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 21, 2008

We almost missed The Orchards Inn - in fact we drove right past it the first time - because it is set back from the street behind the Orchards Bar & Grill. However it is well located in the middle of Sedona's main street on 89A near 179.
If you can, get a room on the 2nd or 3rd floor. We had a 1st floor room, and although the views were nice, we did not have a private balcony, but instead a walkway that connected all first floor rooms.
The hotel itself is fairly average, but you can't beat the price or location. It is within walking distance from Tlaquepaque (about 10 minutes) for restaurants & shopping. Or just step outside the hotel and you are on the main street of Sedona with plenty of shops, restaurants, etc...
From the walkway outside our room we had a gorgeous red rock view, and could see Oak Creek below.

The only minor negative points:
There is only a small parking lot, which fills up quickly.
The hotel staff leaves at 8pm, so you have to contact a larger hotel next door if you need assistance after that time, or if you check in late.

• Liked — Great value for money, and great location.
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled with family
Huntsville, Alabama
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 27, 2007

The Orchards Inn of Sedona is a great little hotel. It is old fashioned, but clean and comfortable. Our room had all the modern conveniences--king size bed, micro, frig and coffee maker. The bed and pillows were exceptionally comfortable. The view from our 1st floor room was outstanding.

• Liked — The view!
  • Disliked — Nothing
  • Stayed December 2007, traveled on business
Washington
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 21, 2007

As long as you get a room on floor two / three you will have a wonderful view. Some 1st floor rooms have obstructed views and all on level 1 have less privacy as people walk by your patio / balcony area.
The location is right in the middle of everything, so that will not be a problem. As for the complaints about parking, it is tight, but the hotel was sold out when we visited and we still found room. If the lot was full there are alternatives nearby.
Now for the bad. The rooms are modest and dated. This place is not fancy, and not tops when it comes to service. So if you value location and views at a good price and caan deal w/ less service and dated / modest accomodations....this is your place.

• Liked — View
  • Disliked — Dated
  • Stayed September 2007, traveled as a couple