“You cannot duplicate this by yourself”
Review of Great West Tours

Great West Tours
Book In Advance
Ranked #23 of 91 Tours in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: We provide one day tours into various locations in Northern Arizona from Sedona AZ. We focus on the Grand Canyon but also have tours to Petrified Forest, Hopi Reservation, and a Colorado River Float Trip.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

We had Dave as our tour guide. He picked us up at 7:30am and dropped us off about 8pm. The tour was great. Dave was quite passionate about giving us the best Grand Canyon tour ever..and he lived up to it. We took our grandson and a friend on the tour and they had a great time. We could never have driven the same route Dave took and did all the stops he did in the same amount of time. He had videos with info, we saw the IMAX movie, he had snacks and drinks and made ample bathroom stops along the way. This was well worth the price we paid. I would recommend this tour company and suggest you ask for Dave in particular. Well done.

All reviews
in 5 reviews
"entire tour"
in 7 reviews

Reviewed July 22, 2013

The best thing we took from the "Grand Experience" tour was being able to relax and even nap instead of driving ourselves from Sedona all the way to the Grand Canyon.

My husband and I were in a group with 3 other couples. The van could seat about 14 passengers. So we had plenty of room. But the seats were not comfortable on the bumpy ride. I felt like even with the seat belt, I really wanted to hold onto something, but there was nothing to hold onto, not a pole or a handlebar somewhere.

Anyway, we were hoping that having a tour guide, we'd learn more information about the sites we drove by. Our guide, Larry, was great in introducing/providing information through a good part of the Oak Creek Canyon. But that was about all. I walked away feeling like I learned very little about the Grand Canyon :( or the Little Colorado River Gorge.

The 1/2 hour Grand Canyon iMax movie was included in this package. Unfortunately the movie itself was not what my husband & I were hoping for. We thought we'd get an overview of the Grand Canyon, kind of like the "Soaring Over California" film in Disney's California Adventures. Instead, the movie was part history, part speculated history - yes, I said speculated :(

We got to the South Rim right after lunch. (Btw, lunch at the Maswik Lounge was paid for, decent, unimpressive.) It was very bright out. All the pictures looked very "whited-out". I did not expect that at all. I thought the guide would walk us through the trail and tell us about the Grand Canyon, but no, we were told to pick a trail of our choice, out of 3 options, and given instructions on where to meet back for the van in one hour.

I liked the East Rim view better. It's not as "grand" as the South Rim, but it had a lot more color. Unfortunately we were given too little time there. The area had a number of very different stores that we didn't have time to visit.

Instead, we spent more time at this local jewelry place, where Larry knew the owner and got us a small discount. The positive side of the long stop at the jewelry place was that it gave me sufficient time to take some nice photos of the Colorado River Gorge that I otherwise wouldn't have. We also spent a lot of time at the Cameron Trading Post. Yes it was a large store, but we definitely also stopped for too long there. I walked around the store about 3 times very slowly checking random things out before walking outside to wait to get back into the van. And I'm a souvenir person!

Sigh. Disappointed.

1  Thank mrsmopsie
Reviewed July 10, 2013

We had Dave as our tour guide/driver during our 12-hour, sunset tour, of the Grand Canyon. You can tell that Dave really likes what he does and is passionate about it. The fact that they pick you up and drop you back at your hotel couldn't make this more convenient. Well worth the money.

Reviewed July 4, 2013

Our family of 4 was the only party on the tour -- Great West could have easily cancelled due to low numbers, but they sent one of their guides, Devon, to be our personal guide for the day. He was extremely knowledgeable and friendly and even took us to extra viewpoints of the canyon since we were such a small party. The complimentary snacks and unlimited water he provided were a lifesaver, especially for my kids. We also did the helicopter ride over the canyon, which I would highly recommend. The only constructive feedback I would offer is regarding our particular shuttle bus -- the video system did not work, so the informative movie on mule rides in the canyon that he tried to play on our return trip kept cutting out. Also, the A/C system was not that effective during the hottest part of the afternoon -- though we were visiting during an extreme heat wave.

See more reviews
Reviewed June 4, 2013

This is probably the most memorable day, which will defently be very diffucult to top. Our guide Dave Reed from Great West Tours, make sure we will never forget this experience. The enthusiasm and knowledge of the Grand Cayon and the sorounding area was amaizing for the lack of better word. I thought for sure this day will be tiring and at the end probably will get boring. Not a change Dave made exciting, well worth the money that we paid. We deffenetly recomend for anyone that is looking into visiting the Sedona area to take this tour the sunset over the Grand Cayon is spectacular, no words that can really discribe and as a bonus Dave stop so be can see the amaizing night sky. Thanks Dave for such a wonderful experience.