“Disappointing”

Dan's Bistro
Cuisines: American, European, French
Good for: Romantic, Local cuisine, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Delivery, Reservations
Description: Dan's Bistro is a small friendly Bistro style restaurant with great fish, steak, seafood, pasta's, salads and deserts, all at great prices. Chef Dan is one of Sedona's most popular Chef's both for his cuisine and his personality. Open for Lunch and Dinner.
Reviewed April 20, 2013

Dan's was very highly recommended. We would give Dan's an A for atmosphere. Tablecloths, fresh flowers, nice music. I had the special of the night- sirloin tips , marinated in onions and garlic The visual, when my dinner arrived , was off the grey mystery meat served in school cafeterias. the meat was chewy and bland.
My husband had the beef bourguignon in pastry- very average . The server kept asking "have we decided" "are we done" "are we having dessert" . I don't know, are "we".
We, my husband and I, (not including the server), are here for an extended time. We will not be going back.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

We talked our hotel valet into driving us out to this place. It is sort of small. The waitress was very friendly, came out first with a cheese/cracker/balsamic reduction appetizer on the house. The menu was carefully planned, nothing looked pre-cooked, etc. Its BYOB and there is no where within walking distance so come prepared. Had great desserts also.

Reviewed April 17, 2013

Dan's is a small place right off 89A just outside of uptown Sedona. It's an intimate/informal environment that makes you feel immediately relaxed. The staff was friendly and familial.

The menu was upscale, typical of what you might find in most fine-dining locations. Amuse bouche was a little sample of their house-made hummus on tasty little pita point. We skipped appetizers and has salads for first course. My wife's chop salad was delicious (if a bit generous is the portion), and my salad of spinach, grapes, strawberries, pecans, and goat cheese was 9 of 10 w/ their just-slightly-too-sweet raspberry vinegarette.

For entrees, I had bouillabaisse while my better half had a nice filet. The fish stew was top-notch - fresh-tasting, spicy, and delicious. It was very, very generously portioned with mussels, huge shrimp, ridiculous scallops, clams, and crawfish. It was served with a few slices of crusty bread that worked great with the broth. The filet was tender and tasty with simple, but delicious sides (loaded baked and sauteed mushrooms).

Desert was a cake called "Chocolate Eruption" which was actually mousse cake w/ chunks of cheesecake. Well, it tasted just like it sounds :-)

All-in-all, Dan's is a great place to grab a fine-dining meal while staying in a casual environment. The prices are reasonable ($120 w/ tax & tip for 2) for the quality of the food.

Note: No cocktails available. This is a byob place with a small ($5) corking fee.

Reviewed April 16, 2013

discreetly tucked away in a small strip plaza, you would never guess that this was a restaurant of a former resort executive chef. I ate there twice on my recent visit. The filet mignon was well seasoned and amazingly tender and had the burger for lunch on another day. Could easily be the best burger of my life. Would highly recommend.

Reviewed April 16, 2013 via mobile

Huge portions and great quality food. Were served an amuse bouche, which was a nice touch. Service was very good and food very tasty.

Is BYOB so if you want to drink with your meal, take some.