“Beautiful, Serene, Challenging and Fun”
Review of Seven Canyons

Ranked #39 of 106 Outdoor Activities in Sedona
Chino Valley, Arizona
88 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 103 helpful votes
“Beautiful, Serene, Challenging and Fun”
Reviewed March 21, 2014

The bad news - the short period of being open to the general public is over. The good news - you can access this course if you stay at the Enchantment resort. The other good news is that the new owners are pumping some money back into this course (currently working on the very elevated tees on #4). But despite what I read in a couple of older reviews, I found the course to be in very good shape. The greens were beautiful and rolling true. The bunkers were consistent and of high quality. Fairways were 95% very nice. But if you love golf, you play here for the great course design and the absolute beauty of the area. My wife rode along as my photographer and took about 150 pictures - every hole has a scenic view, some are just more scenic than others. The view from the 15th tee is one of my favorites. Great mix of short and long holes and just a very relaxing place to play golf. Highly recommended, this is my favorite course that does not have an ocean next to it.

Visited February 2014
1 Thank Rich B

London, Ontario
13 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 36 helpful votes
“Not to be Missed”
Reviewed March 20, 2014

If you are a guest at Enchantment Resort, you can play here without any recommendation from a pro elsewhere. It is definitely one of the perks of staying at the resort.

My wife and I played on a fine day in March. The temperature was in the mid-60s, which is just fine for golf. We saw almost no-one on the course--certainly no-one ahead or behind us. There's nothing like golf when you can play at your own pace and go as fast or as slow as you like. I doubt that it's always like this, but the course has only a very small number of members, the resort is not really billed as a "golf resort", and you wouldn't drive all the way from Phoenix just to play Seven Canyons. From Enchantment Resort, however, it's a 5-minute drive.

Arizona had a mild, dry winter apparently in 2013-14, and the course condition was good but not great compared to courses down in Scottsdale. The greens were firm and true, but the fairways were spotty in some areas. The Tom Weiskopf-design was very fair for high-handicappers like us. I lost some balls here and there, but I parred a couple of the par 3s. My wife, who never loses a ball, found the greens challenging, but she too loved the course. The scenery is, of course, spectacular, but take your pictures on the front nine. The back nine is not as photogenic.

If we ever go back to Sedona, I will certainly play Seven Canyons. It's not cheap, but it's memorable for the location.

Visited March 2014
Austin
43 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 70 helpful votes
“Hope you can play here!”
Reviewed November 20, 2013

Wow! This is a beautiful course but you must have your private golf club pro call for a tee time here. If you are not a member of a private club you cannot get in. Sorry. But if you can get in you will see a perfectly manicured course that is interesting and challenging as you play beside fabulous canyon views in every direction. This Tom Weiskopf course is one of the most delightful to play. Don't plan on a tee time later than 1:00 if you want to finish before dark in the fall.

Visited November 2013
Bend, Oregon, United States
27 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 34 helpful votes
“Wonderful private golf course”
Reviewed November 19, 2013

Seven Canyons Golf Club was a public/semi-private club that reverted to "private" in September of 2013. Prior to our recent trip to Sedona, we had the head pro at our club call their head pro and arrange for us to be able to play. If you are a member of a private club, you can probably have your head pro call theirs and make a similar arrangement. The cost was $125, and, considering the location, the views, the service, and the course itself, it is worth the price.

The course was in excellent condition, with a reasonable amount of elevation changes, bunkers, hazards, etc. that made the course a lot of fun. It is more of a tactical course than a "grip it and rip it" course, and that's one of the key reasons we enjoyed it so much. I played from around 6,100 yards (right about what I need), and found the course fun, and challenging from the first tee shot to the final putt (which run about 10 on the meter).

The staff and service were excellent, and even though we were not members, we were treated as though we were. If you can get on this course, and don't mind the expense, absolutely do it. And, apart from anything else, the views are among the best we've seen on ANY golf course. Don't forget your camera (and, perhaps a couple of extra balls).

Visited October 2013
1 Thank Steve M
Huntsville, Alabama
25 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 9 helpful votes
“Glad we played”
Reviewed November 14, 2013

Wife and I played as part of a one-time golf trip to Arizona. Stayed at the resort one night and played the course the next day, just the two of us. Not busy at all. Truly great environment to experience, a number of interesting course features. More expensive than we normally play, but for the one-time experience, it was worth it.

Visited November 2013