“Can't say enough about how excellent this place is” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mii amo, a destination spa

Mii amo, a destination spa
Ranked #4 of 18 Specialty Lodging in Sedona
Montville, New Jersey
“Can't say enough about how excellent this place is”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 30, 2013

I rarely have felt it necessary to write a review here or to leave positive feedback after a trip but in this case, it was imperative. Mii amo is so uniquely wonderful for many reasons. They have assembled a group of employees who are passionate about what they do and they are good at it. They never look at their watch or complain. They truly love what they do and it's obvious. If I had any small concern or piece of feedback they were totally receptive and made me feel great about sharing and righting any small wrong. The spa director is exceptional. The front desk staff were incredible. The rooms are nice, the surroundings gorgeous, the food very good, the hiking spectacular and the spa services superb. I would recommend this to anyone who is looking for an escape from stress, recovering from an emotional trauma of any kind or a girl's trip. Be sure to go here with someone who you really like because you will want to talk about your experiences together. The energy in Sedona and at this place is not to be missed.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Nashville, Tennessee, United States
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 24, 2013

I make it my own special job to pick apart everything that isn’t up to standard on my Trip Advisor reviews. Have a hard time here; Mii Amo is practically perfect. I have been to many spas. After I went to Mii Amo a couple of years ago, I determined that if I only have a few spa vacations left – go with a sure thing, And Mii Amo is a sure thing.

Room.
Wonderful. Comfortable, reasonably spacious. Huge soaking tub. Comfy linens. Comes with your own super Mii Amo robe (which is yours – take it home) and slippers. Just what you would hope. Ask for a room with a view.

Food.
Understand. This isn’t your typical spa oats and leaves menu. No calorie lists on the menu. It is good, fresh, organic food, and plenty of it, cooked healthily. OK, no butter sauces or hollandaise, but steak? Yep. And Paella and desserts and yes, Prickly Pear Margaritas. They leave it to you to choose how hard core you’re gonna be. And after an initial pig out, I reverted to healthier choices; beginning my stay with a wonderful cocktail and then limiting myself each night to a nice (organic) glass of wine with the delicious dinner. Dinner – 3 courses. Lunch – 2 courses. Breakfast delish. You can choose to eat in the café (robes are fine) or have your meal delivered to your room (no room service charges). What many do is have dinner in the café, go to the room, switch on the fire in the fireplace and have dessert delivered. Wonderful smoothies (any kind you could possibly dream up) available all day.

Treatments.
Mary Lou/Neck Head and Shoulders Massage – when I checked in, I thought that this would be a great first – relax, you’re here! – treatment. Right I was. Wasn’t serious-get into-your-knots deal… that was for later. It was totally and completely relaxing. Mary Lou is a pro.

Neuromuscular Massage:
A good place to start before the more soothing things start to happen. They dig in and it hurts; it hurts real good. Holly. AOK

Flower Bath:
I have to admit that when I came, even though there is all the truth in advertising you could possibly want, I wasn’t looking for the touchy feely mystical stuff. I wanted to feel better physically. But on a lark I gave the Flower Bath a try. Although I became sort of a touchy feely convert later, this was too over the top for me. Wouldn’t recommend it if you are a skeptic/mystic healing novice.

Thai Massage
The best ever. Bruce may offer the best Thai Massage on the planet.

Reading
OK. My friend talked me into it. Numerology/Tarot….. I was/am the number one skeptic. But ya know, it was very, very good. Made me think about life changes in a fresh way. Highly recommend it. Keema is terrific

Aura Photography
So, now I’ve jumped into this spirit deal with both feet. Loved the Aura Photography, because again, it led me to think about how I was living my life and how I should be living my life in a new and refreshing way.

Watsu
It’s hard for me to understand that some people don’t actually love Watsu. You are immersed in warm salt water, and become the “seaweed” while Calendar (his name or a reasonable approximation of his name) holds you, swishes you around, and you relax into another universe.

Harmony
Brings all the mind stuff together. But frankly, although my friends' loved it, not my cup of tea.

So, was Mii Amo Perfect? No. Just when you think you will be able to relax and consider spending the rest of your life here, checking in from time to time with civilization when absolutely necessary, that’s when you discover that there is virtually no cell phone service. With a family indulging me to spa it for a few days, it is implicit that I need to check in with them from time to time. No can do. AT&T, Sprint, they tell you not good. Verizon better. However, my Verizon signal was at notta. Zero reception in the room. Very stressful. Didn’t help when the orientation leader told us that yes, it would be hard to access your phone, but relax! Put away that cell phone…. Nice. She apparently doesn’t have kids or other responsibilities that are just not capable of just forgetting about – especially if you haven’t been warned ahead of time. But they do tell you that there is Internet - not where you might want it such as by the pool or in the lounge area so you can kick back and relax and play Words With Friends, etc. No, there is no wireless anywhere except in your room. And that wireless service is pretty useless. Come on Mii Amo, people use wireless for other than stressful work situations (and if one is able to get away from work but still needs to check in – don’t judge). People use wireless to play, to relax.

So, no cell service, virtually no Internet. Not ok.

But other than that, Mrs. Lincoln, Mii Amo is great.

Room Tip: Ask for a view. 506 or 504...
  • Stayed March 2013, traveled with friends
7 Thank Barbara M
Toronto
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 6, 2013

Mii Amo is tucked into a beautiful natural setting. It's layout inside is spacious with lots of natural materials used in the design so it feels well integrated with the land surrounding it. It has a good range of services, some of them designed to reflect the spiritual traditions of the area. And the restaurant onsite is a nice addition. However, it's not a five-star spa as presented due to poor upkeep standards. On a recent visit the steam room was closed for repair - some of the staff, including therapists, were unaware of this status. Evidently it had been for a number of days. When I stepped into the first shower stall I chose, the control tap came off in my hand - a screw seemed to be missing. In the next shower stall, there were four used disposable razors scattered about on the floor. People use razors in showers when they're provided...but showers should be checked on a regular basis to maintain a clean and sanitary facility. Daily checks are required - and expected - if a five-star or luxury status is to promoted.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled as a couple
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank LakesiderToronto
New York City, New York
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 2, 2013

The rooms on the Mii Amo side are about the same as those on the Enchantment side. Not amazing, but fireplaces, good sheets, coffee makers... The transformational spa treatments and the wonderful spirit of the staff are worth the trip from anywhere. The spa cafe is excellent--good variety of healthy organic foods, well prepared and thoughtfully presented. It's an ideal place for a girls' getaway.

Room Tip: Ask for a red rocks view.
  • Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
1 Thank FourSeasonsGirl
Minneapolis
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 28, 2013

This is my first time staying at a destination spa, and it exceeded my expectations in almost every way. The price, which seemed high at first, was actually a great value when I took into account all the spa services and delicious food. Most of the staff were helpful and friendly. We love the hiking and biking excursions, but did not care for the tennis pro. The spa services were unique, while those providing them were hit and miss. LOVED aura photgraphy with Kim, LOVED my Sedona clay wrap with Debra. The facial was nothing special, and I did not care for my massage service. I hope to go back again some day, and will take more care determining which services to pick next time.

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 12, 2013

I've been here several times in the past and am always impressed and relaxed. Unfortunately, there were lots of problems this time. Maintenance was in my room trying to fix issues almost everyday. No new room was offered until the 6th day of my 7 night stay. I was then moved to enchantment where I had more issues including maintenance and an uncomfortable mattress. I am not the type to complain but it was pretty unnacceptable. At any rate, between all of this and the poor customer service of the front desk (there were only a few helpful people, the rest had pretty big attitudes) it was not its usual retreat. It is still a beautiful place with wonderful treatments and food-I just hope my experience was unusual and the staff and maintenance issues get worked out ASAP.
Management did try to make it right by giving me some refund and discounted nights so I could stay extra but, the point is, this should have been handled differently from the start and it was unfortunate I stayed longer to attempt to have the experience I should have had to begin with. Hopefully you will still go and have a vastly different experience then my most recent. In the past I have had no complaints and it really is beautiful and serene when things go smoothly.

• Stayed January 2013
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
4 Thank JLC0143
Washington DC, District of Columbia
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 15, 2012

There's no need to do anymore research for your upcoming trip: this is it! Unparalleled service for a destination getaway that can take a number of tracks: spiritual, wellness, relaxing, adventure, pampering, etc. I spent a life-changing week at this spa and will make it an annual event.

• Stayed December 2012, traveled with friends