“Not to be missed!”
Review of Simon's Hot Dogs - CLOSED

Simon's Hot Dogs
Cuisines: American, South American, Colombian
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Bar scene
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Lunch, Outdoor Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout
Description: Colombian Style Beef, Vegetarian and Vegan Hot Dogs, and some others delicious Colombian treats.
Squamish, Canada
“Not to be missed!”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We enjoyed every aspect of our visit ! After watching sunset at the airport lookout headed for Simon's. Nothing fancy, almost the opposite sitting in the brewery having a beer while Filipe prepared our Columbian dogs. He explained the background of the name as the kind of food people like in late night Columbia (when the bars close). We just loved them! While we were eating they were moving chairs around for Tuesday night drumming, wish we could have stayed. We sat inside but there were people sitting outside by the fire pit. Great beer in the bar too!

Visited February 2014
1 Thank ringerb

Berlin, Germany
“Food FAIL. ”
Reviewed February 25, 2014 via mobile

We'll try anything, but you'll need to enjoy a lot of the beer (not something to write home about) before this tastes or looks like food.

We had lunch during the film festival based on recommendations from trip advisor and yelp, but I'm not sure how this place manages to be nr. 1 in Sedona. It was a dining experience, for sure, but not in the sense that the website suggested.

Food:
Colombian Hot Dog, beef.
Don't be fooled by the name, this tiny beef hot dog in a giant bun really does have crushed potato chips and canned pineapple on it. Mozzarella cheese means squeeze cheese from a tube, not sure about Simon's "exquisite" spread, was too distracted by the other toppings to experience that. Comes with more chips and a pickle from a glass.

Hola Amigo, vegan.
No words. We are foreign and didn't know Philadelphia is a kind of cream cheese (our fault), but I did order a vegan meal so I was surprised she didn't mention that or automatically substitute Tahini, listed as the vegan option. There are no avocados on this, just a squeeze green from a tube, possibly mayonnaise based. I found the vegan hot dog itself more interesting than many of the meat substitutes we've tried in America, once I freed it from the condiments, kind of spicy and the texture of rice and beans. But it certainly wasn't worth the 2$ surcharge! Tried to order without chips but they were on the plate anyway.

I don't know why we also ordered:
Nachos with vegetarian chili.
This come with a watery orange cheese product like you can have at a movie theater in Germany. The chips were soggy when they arrived at the table, and the vegetarian chili, TVP with an interesting seasoning, was sparse and unfortunately dominated by the "cheese." The salsa had a nice mild flavor, I felt this would have been more satisfying served as chips with bowls for dipping, since the cheese wasn't baked over the chips but poured. Then we could have enjoyed the salsa, chili, and peppers.

Ambience:
I would classify this as a good place to drink with friends after a lot of stress. The beer is easy to drink and we enjoyed the music selection. Even in the middle of an unseasonably warm sunny day it seemed relaxing to sit on the patio and not think much about anything. (Unfortunately Simon asked three times how we were enjoying the food that we weren't eating--maybe this is normal in America but it was disturbing us, especially since he didn't offer any sort of remedy.)

To close I would like to say that this is my first negative review on trip advisor, and I feel very uncomfortable about it, but also feel a responsibility to tamper they many positive reviews on this site. If I had walked into this place from the street (impossible because you need GPS to find it) I would have walked out--there ARE pictures of the food and it doesn't feel clean there. But so many people raved about this "new and different" way of eating that we stayed. With tax and a tip this meal cost 25$, not including drinks, which is a steep penalty for what was for us, the fulfillment of the European nightmare that there is no real food in America, only manufactured processed product. That is a real chame because we have had some brilliant, fresh, innovative food here, and for wide range of prices. Maybe it's best to just order an unpretentious hot dog on the street in NYC or Chicago instead of hoping for innovation in Sedona?

2 Thank TeeZeremonie
Seattle, Washington
“Not as good as I expected from reviews”
Reviewed February 23, 2014

This place is nice but it's not as special as the reviews here and Yelp say. Yes, they put neat stuff on hot dogs but the quality of the meat and buns is just average. They didn't toast our buns and the chips are nothing special either.

I don't drink beer but that part DID look special.

• Visited January 2014
flores
“The best hot dog.”
Reviewed February 21, 2014 via mobile

This place is a real tiny restaurant next to a bar. It's located down a tiny street in an unpaved parking lot. I had no idea the best hot dog awaited me in a literal hole in a bar wall.

Her name was Colombiana a yummy hotdog and she needs to be brought to your attention. My friend loved the vegan dog. I don't mess with vegan food. I ate my dog so fast it felt like a dream. I tried to get another but they close early like all Sedona does.

It was kind of dark and didn't see what I consumed but it was delicious. I think it had pineapple relish.

The owner is Colombian and very chevere.

A must visit.

Nanaimo
“Super dogs!”
Reviewed February 19, 2014

Our family (5 of us) found this gem recommended by TA. It was a little difficult to find but well worth it. We all had different dogs, the Columbian was delicious, and the beer was good too! We relaxed and ate outside on their little patio. The owner was very attentive and gracious. The high rating on TA is great considering he has only been in the States 3 years. Much success!

• Visited October 2013