“Very Disappointing Experience”

Cafe Jose Restaurant
Ranked #26 of 194 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Southwestern, Mexican, American, Cafe
Good for: Dining on a budget, Kids, Families with children, Local cuisine, Large groups
Dining options: Brunch, Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Highchairs Available, Parking Available, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Takeout, Television, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible, Wine and Beer
Description: Despite the name, Cafe Jose serves good old-fashioned home style cooking. It is a classic American diner which also happens to serve good Mexican food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served all day. Cafe Jose is a favorite spot for local residents. It has won the local award for the past several years for "Best Home Cooking," "Best Breakfast," "Best Family Dining." "Friendliest Wait Staff," and "Best Overall Bargain." The food is not fancy, but it is tasty and served with a smile. The portions are large, but meals are priced to fit anyone's budget.
United States
“Very Disappointing Experience”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 28, 2013

Overall we were disappointed because we chose this restaurant based on Tripadvisor reviews but we found the food to be subpar. My husband ordered Mama's Meatloaf (again because reviews recommended it). The meatloaf had carrots and green chiles in it which gave it an odd taste, unlike anything that either of us have eaten. It was unlike any mama's meatloaf we've ever had. The gravy on the meatloaf was awful, it tasted like store bought canned gravy. The green beans were the worst. There is no way that they didn't come out of a can, too. They were limp and tasteless. Shame on this restaurant for serving this meal.

I won't even talk about my meal as it was pretty much on par with my husband's dinner. But I had to mention how disappointing the meatloaf dinner was. Out of towner's, this is a local dive that I would not recommend to anyone. There are too many other places to go to when in town. Leave this for the locals.

• Visited April 2013
ramblinrose52, Owner at Cafe Jose Restaurant, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Are you sure you reviewed the correct restaurant? There are many restaurants in Sedona that serve meatloaf. We have meatloaf on our menu; however, we do not use green chilis, green peppers or anything remotely green in our meatloaf. The meatloaf we serve has been made the same way for more than a decade and is a very popular menu item. Our recipe does not contain anything green in it.

Cottonwood, Arizona
“Great place to eat!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 26, 2013

As the title says, great place to grab a delicious meal! Food is excellent, cheap, and well worth the money! I've been here time and time again, and I plan on going again quite soon.

• Visited April 2013
Torrance, California
“Great local place”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Have eaten here many times since 2006 and enjoyed every meal tremendously. Most recent visit had the nachos one night and biscuits w/gravy for breakfast; both meals were so good, I had to stop short of licking the plate!

Visited May 2013
“Clean, Friendly and GOOD FOOD!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 20, 2013

Yes, this is the restaurant where the local Sedonians come too and have for years. It is a place for a good meal at a reasonable price. This restaurant was recently updated and is really-really nice inside. Located in the West Sedona's Safeway Shopping Center on far West side off 89a 2.3 miles from what is known as the Hwy's 179/89a Y.

I might add everyone can have an off day whether it be a restaurant customer or someone who works their. Speaking for myself as a local this is a truly great local restaurant and is locally owned. The owners and staff pride themselves at providing a terrific experience when you dine with them.

Sedona has many fine restaurants and Cafe Joses is a great place to come and get a good and plentiful meal throughout the day at a very reasonable cost also Breakfast all day is not a problem. These folks also have another restaurant in West Sedona know as the Golden Goose Cafe,

If something should ever be wrong bring it up, because as I said they do want to please their patrons.

• Visited May 2013
Montgomery, Alabama
“Below average”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 18, 2013

We ate dinner there. Servers were nice and the service was good. Food was bad. I ordered chicken Fajitas. It was bland and ate the worst fajitas I have ever had in my life. My wife ordered Enchiladas and it didnt taste good. Its cheap food but not something I would recommend.

• Visited May 2013