“Big Surprise”

Ranked #27 of 199 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: American, Diner, Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Families with children, Local cuisine
Dining options: Late Night, Dinner, Breakfast, Lunch, Reservations
Description: Despite the name, Cafe Jose serves good old-fashioned home style cooking. It is a classic American diner which also happens to serve good Mexican food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served all day. Cafe Jose is a favorite spot for local residents. It has won the local award for the past several years for "Best Home Cooking," "Best Breakfast," "Best Family Dining." "Friendliest Wait Staff," and "Best Overall Bargain." The food is not fancy, but it is tasty and served with a smile. The portions are large, but meals are priced to fit anyone's budget.
Reviewed May 8, 2013

Not much to look at from the outside (or inside for that matter) but what you go for is good food and Cafe Jose delivered! Thought both our meals were delicious. Excellent service, prompt and efficent. If you want good food and a very reasonably priced meal, this is the place. We did some "upscale" dining two other evenings and this was the perfect place to scale back a bit and still have a great meal. Seemed popular with the locals and we could see why. We were thankful we found this on the Trip Advisor reviews.

Reviewed May 8, 2013

If you are looking for a great burger, this is a must stop. The restaurant has a very casual diner feel, and is located in a strip center on 89A. There is a great selection of hand-pressed burgers, and they were almost too big to eat, which is fine with me! The prices were reasonable, and the staff was very friendly.

Reviewed May 6, 2013

We were told to avoid some other not to be mentioned breakfast spot by a local and while we never tried that spot I can certainly vouch for Jose! We ate a hearty breakfast here, ha to take some to go, hiked around sedona and finally got hungry again around 8pm. Great value, friendly service and great food!

Reviewed April 30, 2013

After reading all the great reviews, we decided to try this place for lunch. The location was once a soup/sandwich shop popular with the locals. This place still seems to be a local fave. Not much in the way of atmosphere. The deceptively large place is packed with efficient booths and tables throughout.

The menu tries to offer a little bit of everything from typical Mexican fare to American diner faves. We had the guacamole with salsa and chips. Not bad, but the chips were mediocre and not warm. The chips must be what Cisco sells to average beaneries. I had a forgettable chili relleno (my test of a decent Mexican place -- FAIL). My wife had the Tres Amigos combo platter of beef taco, cheese enchilada, and a small chili relleno. I almost never salt my food but both of us were fighting over the salt shaker. The only discernible "heat" in the food was from one of the salsas. This is Mexican food for senior citizens on a restricted salt diet or little kids who think black pepper is spicy.

Wine selection is non-existent: a couple house wines by the glass. They offer a handful of typical Mexican beers and another handful of domestics.

Service was good. I just don't have the heart to tell any waiter that their food is crappy when they ask, "how's everything?". Oh well.

ramblinrose52, Owner at Cafe Jose Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded May 7, 2013

Thank you for taking time to provide feedback for your visit to Cafe Jose. I must explain that our Mexican food is intentionally on the "low-heat," low-salt side. Eighty-five percent of the people we serve in our restaurant are senior citizens. A large majority of seniors cannot tolerate super spicy or salty foods. As you noted, we are a favorite haunt of local residents. As such, we cater to their needs and desires. The majority of residents in Sedona are comprised of retirement-aged individuals.

We don’t brag about fancy chef creations and nouveau cuisine and the high price tags that go with food of that nature. We have been voted Sedona’s “Best Home Cooking” for the past 5 years because we specialize in good old fashioned diner fare. We strive to provide good meal value. Yes, we serve Mexican food too, but it may not be to everyone’s liking. Personally, I prefer my Mexican food “muy caliente.” We spice up our Mexican specials for people like me who want some fieriness. But, most of the items on the regular menu are low to medium heat.

This restaurant has been in existence for decades and has never served alcoholic beverages. We recently pursued a liquor license and now offer three red wines, three white wines, a few domestic beers, a few Mexican beers, and three flavors of margaritas. We wanted to keep it simple to start and have found that these beverages accommodate most desires. We do not have room for a full-service bar, and therefore are limited on our offerings.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

With all the signs saying top rated restaurant, good prices and open past 7pm we decided to try it on our way in to Sedona. It was just so-so. My husband got the creamy shrimp and I got the fajitas. his was bland and mine was over seasoned. It Kind of felt like a Mexican style Denny's. For similar pricing I would rather go elsewhere.