“Good size portions.”

Ranked #27 of 199 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: American, Diner, Mexican
Good for: Business meetings, Local cuisine, Families with children
Dining options: Late Night, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: Despite the name, Cafe Jose serves good old-fashioned home style cooking. It is a classic American diner which also happens to serve good Mexican food. Breakfast, lunch and dinner are served all day. Cafe Jose is a favorite spot for local residents. It has won the local award for the past several years for "Best Home Cooking," "Best Breakfast," "Best Family Dining." "Friendliest Wait Staff," and "Best Overall Bargain." The food is not fancy, but it is tasty and served with a smile. The portions are large, but meals are priced to fit anyone's budget.
Reviewed February 1, 2013

Food was decently priced. Serving portions were good size. Service was good. Food was a bit "bland/mild".

There are newer reviews for Cafe Jose Restaurant

Reviewed January 31, 2013

This was awful. We went because of the reviews and I had breakfast American. My wife had Breakfast Mexican. We could not eat the food. It was terrible. We did not complain as the left food would say volumes. My wife went to the restroom before leaving and I went to pay the check. Telling her I would wait in the car. When she came out she realized that she had left her very expensive sunglasses. When she returned to the cashier she found that they had put them under the counter. My point is she had to walk by the cashier to leave and we were parked in from by the door. No one else was in the place so they had to know who the glasses belonged to. I guess they keep lost items as tips rather then do the honest thing. Shame on them. This place is the armpit of Sedona. Benches were ducked taped and the walls had not been washed in decades.

2  Thank steve and lisa K
ramblinrose52, Owner at Cafe Jose Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded February 2, 2013

Are you sure you wrote this review for the right restaurant? Or, perhaps there were some other undisclosed reasons for such a critical review, We understand that people have diverse tastes and we will never please 100% of the people passing through our doors, but to have two breakfast meals that were so terrible they were inedible is difficult to comprehend. This is particularly unusual since we have been voted Sedona’s “Best Breakfast” for the last 3 years and “Best Home Cooking” for the last 5. Perhaps you are accustomed to eating in prestigious Michelin 3-star restaurants –- which we are not, and don’t claim to be. We are a modest little diner serving simple, standard diner cuisine. Even if you didn't like the food, I know the service had to be above par, yet you rated us poorly on that as well.

As far as the remarks about cleanliness, we find it repulsive for a restaurant to have dirty walls. We clean ours regularly, but we are a high volume restaurant and perhaps we missed something before your visit. We diligently focus on maintaining an acceptable appearance. We just gave the restaurant and major face lift last month with fresh new paint throughout and new carpeting. Of the 120 seats in the restaurant, there are 3 booths that have a small strip of duct tape on them to cover a tear in the seat. Normally, we would send these out for repair immediately, but since we have brand new custom booths arriving in a few weeks, we elected to forego the repairs during this short span of time.

Lastly, you infer we were attempting to steal sunglasses because we placed them under the counter for safekeeping. This accusation is absurd and offensive. If you were the only table in the restaurant, you obviously must have visited at 5:30 in the morning when we first opened or at an off hour because there are generally many more customers than that in the restaurant. Staff was probably engaged in their many other duties that are dealt with during those off-peak hours and did not notice your wife go to the restroom. Hundreds of people pass through our doors each day, leaving all kinds of items behind. Our wait staff deals with this so frequently, it is a mechanical response for them to place the items in our “lost and found.” However, we have on many occasions chased people down in the parking lot to return their possessions. We do our best to return the items. Lost and found items are donated to Goodwill or tossed after a period of time. We don’t impound them for our own profit.

Reviewed January 27, 2013

My wife and I and another couple went to Jose's for a breakfast and a lunch on a recent visit to Sedona. Both meals were large, fairly priced, and very good tasting. Their breakfast omelet menu is creative and the omelets are large and chock full of ingredients with great tasting home fries, large slices of crisp bacon, and a great selection of toasted breads. Their coffee is very good with a cup that never falls below 1/2 before it is refilled. The lunch menu is also a combination of American and Mexican entrees. The Mexican entrees are excellent and huge. We all agree that Joses will be a regular stop for breakfast and lunch when in Sedona. The service, by the way, is as good as it gets. It is fast and friendly and there is always somebody when you need them. They all thank you for stopping in and enjoying their food....nice!

1  Thank biminiguy
Reviewed January 24, 2013

This was an Awesome Dinner with a Great Dessert served by an incredible wonderful waitress named Jill. Oh so good! Check this place out, you'll be glad you did! It was the Best Ribs I ever had, and the Mexican Flan Dessert superb. With so many choices, make this a must go.

1  Thank DavidDPollock
Reviewed January 23, 2013

I went to this restaurant for supper one night. I had expected better after reading some reviews. The food was priced right and was good but definitely not outstanding. I will probably look for other places to eat when I return. When I spend money to go out, I expect something really good and not just average.