“Much more challenging than expected!”
Review of Cathedral Rock

The Outlaw Trail 4x4 Tour
Ranked #1 of 157 things to do in Sedona
More attraction details
Recommended length of visit: More than 3 hours
Owner description: Towering red rock formation, part of the Cathedral Rock Trail.
Reviewed July 23, 2013

My husband and I expected that this would be a tiring hike because of the steepness, but we had no idea it would be such a difficult hike. There were several places I had to use my hands to keep from sliding down when it was very steep. My husband thoroughly enjoyed the climb and explored the top for at least 20 minutes. I enjoyed it at the beginning, then discovered that I'm apparently afraid of heights (who knew?) I made it to the top but felt really great when I made it back down. The views were incredible, even though I was seriously terrified at times because I couldn't stop looking down, lol. We did a 9-day road trip including Vegas, the Grand Canyon, and other parts of Arizona... I think the pics from Cathedral Rock were the best that we took. If you're not afraid of heights and in good shape, go for it!

1  Thank FNB354

Reviewed July 23, 2013

The hike up was fun, the hike down wasn't as much fun. Gets your hear racing from all the walking and climbing. Not for people who have a fear of heights.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Absolutely incredible experience. Do not miss!!! There are several options for hiking so that even the inexperienced can enjoy.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Great view and location-clearly marked trail but best early morning before the extreme heat. Hiking shoes and plenty of water should be on your list.

Reviewed July 22, 2013

Just beautiful! My husband and I climbed the Rock which was not a piece of cake since at some points you need to take a second and figure out where you want to go. But overall, an experience that worth the bit of a challenge... Also, do not do it when its raining or with little kids...