“A Horrible Hotel !!!!!!!!”
Review of Junipine Resort

Junipine Resort
Ranked #4 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
california
“A Horrible Hotel !!!!!!!!”
Reviewed June 23, 2007

Our entire stay was awful- right down to the last detail. The worst experience was the security guard that drives around the property in a golf cart. He was incredibly rude and degrading and treated us like we were drifters. We had spent the day hiking the creek and had our car parked off property since there was a line getting into the resort parking lot and we did not feel like waiting. We came out of the creek by the resort and were walking through the parking lot to get our car to re-park it in the parking lot when the security guard drives up in his golf cart and tells us to get out. We tried to explain that we were guests at the resort and were trying to get our car which was around the corner. He told us "your kind isn't welcome here", and that we needed to get out immediately. We did, we checked out right then and spent the rest of our stay at L'Auberge- which was perfect. I highly recommend you stay at L'Auberge De Sedona- it is worth the money!!

• Liked — nothing
  • Disliked — everything
13 Thank badfit

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (175)
Northbay
Reviewed May 16, 2007

My wife and I just returned from Junipine resort celebrating our 20th wedding anniversary. The main reason we picked this resort is because we wanted a quiet, peaceful and romantic place.

The resort was having a wedding the next day, and the place was filled with wedding guests who all got together on their decks outside and drank and partied until the late hours of the night, right next to our room. The resort requires all guests to be quiet after 10pm, but these guests got louder and louder, and more drunk as the night went on and the hotel mgmt did nothing about it.

We had to complain to the management twice, once at 11pm, and again at 1am, and finally the management had to call the Sheriff since the guests were so drunk and would not quiet down. They finally shut down the party at around 3am.

It was the worst night we've ever spent at resort, got very little sleep, the place was very loud and the management would only do something about it after we complained. If you get the right room on the right nights when there are no partiers on the decks, it could be a very quiet and relaxing place, but with 50 cabins all near eachother there is no way to ensure that.

The resort itself is in a great location, but management needs to take control of their resort and not allow this type of thing to happen, it is completely unacceptable.

15 Thank zinman55
junipine, General Manager at Junipine Resort, responded to this review, July 17, 2008
Junipine hosts 5-10 special events each summer, and we do our best to make sure that these guests respect the privacy of others. On the rare occasion that we do have unruly guests, it does ultimately impact a couple or a family staying near the event. The discount that we offered prior to your departure was meant as a gesture to make amends for a situation that we handled as best as we could. We want you to know that we take your comments seriously and that we have made two changes to the way we handle noise complaints. Your feedback is appreciated.

Chris Bosselmann
Junipine Resort
800-742-7463
Portland Oregon
Reviewed May 14, 2007

I stayed for two nights during the last weekend of April. The setting is absolutely lovely, and on my last morning I saw a bald eagle from my deck. The resort's private trail connects with the A.B. Young trail, which is a pretty and well-graded climb. This trail was recommended by the hotel staff, and I was told that it rises 2000 ft in 2.5 miles. I enjoyed it a lot, but the last half mile seemed really steep and hot, with no shade, so I turned around. Another hiker reported that she turned around in the same spot after encountering a rattlesnake. Views were incredible.

The hotel is well appointed, and quiet except when it is not. The rooms are fairly well insulated from noise, but the decks are far from private. Even moderately noisy neighbors on the deck seem very loud. For the price of the rooms, I think the resort could do a better job of shielding guests from their neighbors on the decks.
Also, the highway can be loud at times.

My suite had two fireplaces, and the round kiva-style one in the bedroom was very nice, except that the door was broken. There was also a broken chair at the dining table, and the kitchen faucet dripped. The staff and maintenance person were very responsive and concerned, but it would have been better not to have these issues.

The kitchen was great, with a new Kenmore range. I tried to drive into Sedona for some groceries, but the traffic was backed up for miles, so I turned around and went to the Indian garden store in the Canyon. It had some great handmade lasagna, and the guys there whipped up a green salad.

The restaurant was good, with the trout amandine being as tasty as reputed. I heard from the locals that breakfast is excellent, but I never found the time.

I found the store, the resort and the area so hospitable, I wondered why I had even wanted to drive into Sedona.
The Junipine is wonderful, but perhaps a little pricey, and in need of additional maintenance.

• Liked — Location
  • Disliked — Road and deck noise
  • Stayed April 2007, traveled solo
8 Thank serendipity11
Reviewed May 12, 2007

A leisurely breakfast at our creek house, lunch at various restaurants in Sedona, and dinner from room service delivered to our creek house worked well for us. What a pleasure sitting in our dining area overlooking the rocky cliffs, woods, and creek while eating breakfast or dinner! Our favorite entrees were the baby back pork ribs and the salmon.

Each morning we received a copy of "USA Today" at our door. Housekeeping washed our dishes, gave us clean sheets and towels if requested, and cleaned up the place. We had no complaints.

Following are a couple of negative observations regarding our unit. The windows in the living room and dining area needed washing, and there were a couple of marks on the living room carpet near the fireplace. Neither point interfered with our overall enjoyment.

In summary, we appreciated our spacious unit; attractive furnishings and decor; and the quiet, beautiful location away from busy Sedona. We actually enjoyed the 12-minute scenic drive to and from Sedona. We rate this property a 5.0 and would recommend Junipine to our family and friends.

• Liked — The quiet, peaceful beauty of the area
  • Disliked — Nothing
5 Thank DaveAndBetty
Louisville
Reviewed April 13, 2007

My wife, three teens, and myself recently stayed for three nights in a two bedroom creekhouse at Junipine. One bedroom had a king bed and the other had two queen beds. There was a loft with two twin beds, so there was plenty of room. We enjoyed having a fire every night and it was located in a beautiful setting on Oak Creek. The place was adequately furnished but is not like a five star resort. I liked the setting, the roominess, and the fact that it was away from all the congestion of Sedona. You can fish at the property or hike from there as well. I would definately go back.

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
3 Thank rlsderbycity
california
Reviewed April 6, 2007

The reviews I read on here are mostly right about nice setting, comfort, etc . . . . Unfortunately, we recently had a not so great experience. The property advertised free wireless internet. Turned out they didn't have it. OK, not a huge deal. Then Saturday a.m. we left early to go out, and came back around 8 pm. Housekeeping had not come, the beds were still unmade, etc . . . I called the front desk. They seemed like they could care less, and actually started getting huffy with me ("well, what do you want me to do about it now?"). I know they're not a full-service hotel, so it's not like I was demanding or even expecting that they come clean the room, but an apology would have been nice. When I brought up the issue with the lack of internet service, she said I shouldn't have an issue with that because "we don't charge extra for that." (Well, you advertise it on your website . . . .) Anyway, it's not like these things ruined the weekend or anything. It's an OK place, and I could see giving a decent review if these things hadn't happened. But when you're paying the kind of rates they charge, this kind of problem -- and especially the attitude -- really shouldn't happen. So I'd say you might luck out and have a good experience, but do you really want hit-or-miss when you're planning a vacation?

• Stayed April 2007, traveled with family
11 Thank weekenderCalifornia
Chicago
Reviewed March 31, 2007

We stayed at Junipine resort the last three days of March. We had a wonderful time. We had reserved a one bedroom unit with a hot tub. We found ourselves assigned to a one bedroom with a loft, which was perfect for our 6 and 9 year olds. There was also a sofa bed in the living room, which we did not need to use.

Our unit was spacious and had a view of the woods. Many of the units face Oak Creek. I suggest that you specify one of those units. Each unit has a kitchen and ours had two wood burning fire places. The kitchen was well equipped with high end appliances and good cutlery and dishes. Everything was in perfect working order.

Junipine attracts a wide variety of guests ranging from young couples to extended family groups. Because everything is so spread out, there is little likelihood of your privacy being impinged.

The resort is located about 8 miles north of Sedona, away from the increasing madness of uptown Sedona. It is about a 12 minute trip into town.

The restaurant associated with Junipine is pretty good, but the food is not spectacular. There are laundry facilities, wireless Internet (a bit spotty when we visited, but, hey, did you come to Sedona to work?), and a very helpful crew in the office who can recommend hikes, jeep rides, etc. There is also a one mile hiking path along the creek that starts at the resort. It is great for kids and the less athletic among us.

This is a very environmentally conscious place. Smoking is forbidden anywhere on premises and they give you the opportunity to limit the amount of daily service (e.g., skip changing the sheets every day) to conserve water and energy.

We booked directly through the hotel and saved a few dollars over the various agencies that also book the hotel.

Our family thoroughly enjoyed Junipine and firmly believes that it deserves its #1 spot (as of this writing) on TripAdvisor’s list of hotels in Sedona.

• Liked — It's beautiful setting
  • Disliked — A bit far from town