“Needed More Time to Fully Appreciate Junipine”
Review of Junipine Resort

Junipine Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed September 14, 2006

We drove up from a sweltering Phoenix ending up finding Junipine in the dark and were amazed by our lodge. We thought the individual ownership concept added to the charm of the place and were not disappointed by our creekside accomodation.

There was a huge lounge with fireplace (not needed), very comfortable bedroom with an enormous bed and a spacious bathroom with two double sinks, plus a kitchen. We also had a porch with a hot tub but had no problems with the noise.

Everything was very good quality and fully working, it would have been great if our schedule had included the time to explore the resort in more detail.

We were there for two nights and left early in the morning, so didn't really have the chance to use the place to the maximum, but we would definately return. The hit tub on the deck overlooking the mountains and the creek was a great way to wind down after a day on the red rock of Sedona.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled as a couple
12  Thank Big_Blue_Traveller

Reviewed August 30, 2006

I have mixed feelings about this place. The location is great. The "creekhouses" are really adjoining condos. But very nice, even though a bit dated inside due to age. Creekside for my unit meant up a hill a good ways, but a lovely view of Oak Creek and up the mountain on the other side. Excellent.
I would not bother getting the hot tub. It was on the patio right outside the sliding door for the master bedroom. There was absolutly no way to turn that thing off. The jets could be turned off, but there is no way to turn off the recirculation motor after reading all the posted instructons. So it drones on continuously disrupting sleep if you have the door open. This meant that I had to keep that sliding door closed all night, when I would have preferred to open it for fresh air and have creek sounds. Being summer, and there was no air conditioning, it was uncomfortably warm even though I did open the slider in the living room. Lessons learned....skip Junipine during the height of summer as the room will be warm, and always skip the hot tub unless its winter and you are a deep sleeper. I don't consider Junipine a "resort." It is a hotel with an excellent little restaurant, which was nice to have nearby. I don't feel it was worth the $200-300 price they charge.
My primary angst about Junipine concerns what happened after. After receiving my credit card statement, I had two charges from them. It appeared to me they had made a mistake in the charges. I very politely inquired via email to a Junipine mgr to look into this (quotes from my emails..... "Hi".... "It appears I was inadvertently double-billed for a meal"..... "Wondering if you would look into it"....... "Thanks."). It appeared to me the meal charge was charged to my room AND inadvertently billed separately from the cafe. This inquiry was ignored for 2 weeks. Then I sent the same email to the Junipine mgr himself. No response again for 11 days. (They do read their email....I got an immediate response after emailing to confirm my reservation when their web site reservation system did not record the res.). So I called the front desk. After 2 min of plesant conversation with a very helpful woman, it was all solved. They had not made any billing errors. It had been my confusion. Why could two mgmt people not be bothered with my question, and indeed ignored me? This is inexcusable. If my inquiriy had been rude, it would be understandable. It was not.
This kind of arrogance and rudeness is uncalled for, and shows that once they have your $, their management couldn't care less about any question you might have.P@ss poor.

Stayed: July 2006
15  Thank ArizonaTourist
Reviewed August 20, 2006

We stayed at Junipine for the 1st time from August 8th-10th and absolutely loved it. We stayed in a "Best" room which was a 1BD condo that had a private deck over looking Oak Creek with a jacuzzi. We loved hearing the roaring creek both during the day and at night while falling asleep. It came with a full kitchen that we used for dinner the first night (we grilled on a BBQ just outside the room) and for appetizers the second night. We went to the restaurant for dinner the second night and highly suggest the locally caught "Walnut Encrusted Trout." There is no AC but we didn't even realize it as temps were in the low 90's during the day and high 60's at night with zero humidity....PERFECT!!! We will definitely be back as each weather season will bring a new and exciting experience. We can't wait to use the huge stone fire place in the fall/winter. If you are looking for luxury, go elsewhere, if you are looking for quiet privacy in a relaxing wooded setting with mountain views, go to Junipine!

• Stayed: August 2006
10  Thank Shooter8533
Reviewed August 8, 2006

We have been to Sedona many times, as we love the area. This trip was a special one for us, so we decided to splurge a little and stay at Junipine. After driving several hours, we arrived at about 2:30 and were advised that early check-in is prohibited. We literally stood there in the lobby until 3:00 before he handed us the keys. As we're walking out of the lobby, the guy says "By the way, there is no air conditioning, so let us know if you need a fan". It was 95 degrees that day.
We are not picky people! We really aren't. However, no air conditioning at a "resort" for $200.00 a night is just not acceptable. We definitely would not have made a reservation at Junipine had we known that. Again, we've been to Sedona many times and we have stayed at several different hotels and never had a room without A/C. Our room was very spacious, and it looked like it may have once been considered "luxurious", but that was a long time ago. Our beds were very old, noisy and uncomfortable. Half of the lights didn't work, including all of the lights in the bathroom, and the toilet worked about every third flush. We left Junipine feeling like we had been cheated.

• Stayed: August 2006, traveled with family
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
26  Thank Hapecamper
Reviewed June 27, 2006

We found the Junipine to be a very nice place to stay. We had a 2 bedroom, 2 bath condo in the back overlooking the creek and found it spacious, clean and quiet. The separate dressing room and bath off the master bedroom was a big plus for us and the large living room and deck gave us plenty of room to move. The bed and furniture quality was very good. The office staff was very nice.

The restaurant wasn't gourmet, but was decent and had a nice deck to eat outside.

The area, Oak Creek Valley is beautiful and we enjoyed hiking up the hills behind the hotel. Other desert and mountain attractions are only a short distance away

• Stayed: June 2006
3  Thank barely alive
Reviewed June 18, 2006

Junipine Resort was a wonderful place to spend our honeymoon. We had a tiny screw up with the reservations but they went out of their way to rectify any problems. The staff was very helpful and the views were wonderful. The private trail was a nice evening walk after the hot desert trails. Can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: May 2006
3  Thank jake91
Reviewed June 10, 2006

On a quick trip to Sedona, we were lucky enough to get a cancelation at the Junipine. We planned to hike the beautiful Oak Creek Canyon trail. The property's location is perfect - out of town the same direction as the trailhead and other wilderness access points. We had a unit with 2 bedrooms and 2 baths, and a hot tub on the deck. Both the condo and the hike were great! The master room downstairs, and it's ensuite bath were both huge! The living dining and kitchen area were all nicely outfitted, and the hot tub had a beautiful view into the trees behind. The next morning we took the nice little walking trail on the property. We look forward to going back for a weed long stay.

• Stayed: May 2006