“Caught over 200 trout...”
Review of Junipine Resort

Junipine Resort
Ranked #5 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed August 6, 2012

Nice room, stayed here two times and all is great!! The unit we stayed in is beautiful although, I wasnt in the room much. Everything was sparkling clean with all the bells and whistles. I will be back!

Room Tip: I had a creek view room dont get me wrong, it was great but for the money just get a forest view you...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled with friends
3  Thank Nick K

Reviewed July 27, 2012

Our trip was in June, we are a family of 6, kids ages 13, 11, 9, and 8. It was very beautiful, plenty of room for all of us, and great to have a kitchen so we didn't have to eat out every meal. The restaurant on site was really, really good as well. The food was fantastic. Comfortable beds, nice bathrooms, lots of space. We enjoyed the deck out back to just sit and read and enjoy the sound of the creek and the cool breezes. We were there for 5 nights. The kids loved playing in the creek. It is in a great location to visit a wide variety of places, the Grand Canyon, Meteor Crater, the Lowell observatory in Flagstaff, and shopping and jeep tours in Sedona. A beautiful and comfortable place to stay!

Room Tip: Get a creekside room if possible, and make sure you get a loft if you are bringing a family!
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank CalgirlP
Reviewed July 24, 2012

Ok it's summer, so the first thing on everyone's mind is what about the lack of A/C? I will be honest when we first checked in, I was very impressed with the unit overall and the grounds, but the room was a little warm. That said, after a day we adjusted and were fine. Take it with a grain of salt; we've stayed in Hawaii before without A/C too so we are used to making do in these kinds of situations. Granted I would probably not choose to stay here at the height of summer, though to be fair it is noticeably cooler than uptown Sedona. Personally I liked driving a bit north of the shopping district and feeling like you were "away from it all" as an Arizona native who has visited Sedona before. It was nice to be among the trees and grass for a spell. Also note you are close to Sliding Rock park and the rainbow trout farm. Another fun activity is to head north on 89A to the top of the mountain and there you will find Navajo booths selling some lovely arts and crafts.

The kitchen had all you could need, the patios have great dining and lounging furniture for dining al fresco, the toiletries are nice smelling (blood orange), and the staff were pleasant. We only had one issue our first night. It was a holiday weekend and despite the "quiet zone" warning letters in each unit, one unit was having a very loud, raucous party late into the night. Needing to sleep with the windows open in the summer, this was an issue for us. We did call to complain.

I would definitely return to Junipine with a large group given the spacious units (ours was 2 bedroom + loft) and full kitchen, with preference given to fall/winter/spring.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
3  Thank SunnyInCleveland
Reviewed July 23, 2012

We stayed in cabin 21. It was gorgeous, close to the creek and very clean. We will definetly stay again.

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank AurelieSa
Reviewed July 18, 2012

Loved the views from our creek side villa. Truly a beautiful, quiet, secluded place to stay, yet only a 10 minute drive into town. We would love to come back in cooler months as we were disappointed that we were unable to really use the upstairs bedroom as it was way to hot. Great place for a family! I would not pay $280+ per night again for Junipine in the summer, however would in the cooler months. The hot tub was fantastic - enjoyed it every night. The interiors are a little dated, but the views, space and location make up for it.

Stayed: July 2012, traveled with family
Reviewed July 16, 2012

Junipine might be a nice stay in the fall or winter, but not the summer. It was 107 degrees outside when we entered Sedona. Hoping for a cool, refreshing, forest stay, Junipine was very disappointing.

For $300/night with a creekside view, I expected air conditioning, swamp cooler or something better to cool us in our upstairs bedroom. It was miserable. Couldn't sleep at night until it cooled down around 1 am. Bugs inside, no matter if we kept windows open or closed.

The creek is nice and cool, but it is not easy to access the waters - especially with 2 little ones (ages 2 and 4) who wanted to play in it. They should create a place of easy access into the creek for summertime use.

Junipine Cafe was overpriced and mediocre (the $24 recommended halibut I got was bland and very mushy - i couldn't eat it).

The staff is friendly and pleasant but didn't seem very knowledgable about the grounds (e.g. they couldn't tell me what type of berries grew right on property [even shown on their website] and near the lobby and if they were poisonous or not. I looked it up online: juniper berries. Would be good to know considering the "resort" is called Junipine). Upon my request, they did however personally go into our unit and kill a wasp for me while we were out. I appreciated that.

On the upside, here is what I liked: my view of the canyon/creek from the balcony, cool mornings to sit outside and enjoy tea, sound of the creek, pretty hiking trail on property (but dangerously low power lines you have to duck under), pretty forest area in general, updated modern furnished condo (except for no A/C unit), daily firewood.

This might be a nice place to stay in the fall and winter but I don't think I could go back. Ultimately, to pay $300/night in a "resort" and get miserable nights of sleep because of no A/C isn't right. I felt a bit cheated.

Room Tip: Ask for an updated unit
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
5  Thank su h
Reviewed July 14, 2012

No, it is not the Holiday Inn thank god, but we travel weary professionals and families actually like sleeping with the windows open (it is 70 this morning in mid July) and listening to the sounds of Oak Creek. The staff are consistently welcoming and friendly, and please note MOST of the units are updated. Not sure why the unit bashing is happening in other posts, but I advise asking for an updated unit if you want that and going with staff to inspect the room you have reserved. Where else can you stay with a full kitchen, and views of creek and cliffs that take your breath away. Sedona is very close, has great restaurants, organic grocers, and so many hiking trails you can hike a different one each day for a year...last night I slept listening to gentle rain, the whispering creek, and on a pillow top mattress with sweet dreams of a relaxing weekend. If you have tried this place, come try it again. If you haven't, call and set up your own perfect vacation. I have been here many times and am always happy...maybe they would let me move in???

Room Tip: Talk with staff about your exact needs. The units are owned by real people just like you and me. Int...
  • Stayed: July 2012, traveled solo