“Lovely resort, far from town”

Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed August 22, 2008

I stayed at the Ridge at Sedona Golf Resort in August of 2008. I met my friend who booked a studio. The studio lock-off had a queen bed, a queen hide-a-bed, a partial kitchenette, small table with 4 chairs, small balcony, and a ¾ bathroom. It had plenty of storage, a safe, ironing board/iron, and wall-mounted hair dryer. The room had a TV, and DVD player. The kitchenette had an apartment size refrigerator, sink, coffee maker, toaster, and microwave oven. I brought a hot plate, and indoor grill as I read that the studio units lacked an oven. The kitchen was minimally stocked- had only the very basics. I did have to go out and buy spatulas, sponges, cleaner, and dish soap. The shower was large, and there was plenty of drawer and cupboard space in the bathroom. The water pressure was good. The towels were large, and there were large pool towels stored under the sink

I slept on the sleeper sofa, and as far as hide-a-beds go, it was pretty comfortable. My friend said that the bed was very comfortable. The view from the balcony was a mountain view which was nice. The other side of the lock off with the one-bedroom units have the golf course and redrock view which is spectacular. I was a bit disappointed that we didn’t have the redrock view, but considering the fact we had the studio, it was not a surprise. Ceiling fan was a little noisy, but after a day or so, I got used to it. Air conditioner worked very well. Furniture was nice and comfortable, not dated.

The maid service in midweek was less than satisfactory. The maid took four towels and only left two. I never did see kitchen towels. She did not pick up some of the dirty hand towels or face towels thrown on the floor in the bathroom. We left the unit clean, so I couldn’t tell if she did any cleaning or not.

My friend had a couple of massages at the Hilton which was next to the resort and said the service was very good. We didn’t golf this trip, but I did notice that the golf course is beautiful.

The main disappointment with this resort was the fact that it was far from the main part of the town of Sedona. Last time I stayed in this beautiful town I stayed at the Arroyo Roble, which was right in the heart of town. You could walk to restaurants and gallery shops from there. This resort is a bit removed way down on hwy 179. There is road construction throughout the whole town of Sedona right now, making getting to town a pain in the neck. I do believe that this construction is slated to go on for approximately two years, so if you are going soon- expect delays. After I left (with the car) my friend had no car and she was stranded at the resort with nowhere else to go for the last two days of her trip. The other thing is the fact that there are two small pools. The one right across from our unit was under repair, leaving one very small pool for the whole resort. It was smaller than what I would expect in a resort as nice as this one.

Bottom line, this is a very nice resort, a bit removed from town, wish the kitchen was a little better stocked, maid service could be a little better, and wish there was a bigger pool. Would I stay there again? Probably not because of the remote location and pool. If those things are not an issue for you, then you will probably like this resort.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled with friends
2  Thank Loriloo99
There are newer reviews for Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort

Reviewed May 16, 2008

My husband and I booked a studio through our timeshare exchange with Interval International. We were unable to get a one-bedroom but the studio was fine for two people. I've attached photos that show the accomodations. In short, they weren't what I would call luxurious but they were perfectly adequate - especially considering we were out and about every day. After all, Sedona is all about being outdoors.

Our room had a kitchenette and a spacious bathroom with a stand-up shower. We had a nice view of the rocks from our balcony. Toward the end of our trip, we took advantage of the pool and hot tubs located throughout the resort. On one evening (when the heat wasn't so awful) we took a bottle of wine to the pool and truly enjoyed lounging with the views of the red rocks in the distance. It was so peaceful.

The location of this resort is great. It's about a ten-minute drive to uptown Sedona but the drive is lined with spectacular views - and you really need to rent a car in Sedona anyway. (There were restaurants closer to the resort if you don't feel like driving into the main part of town.)

I used the small fitness room on most days that we were there. I also took advantage of the complimentary coffee in the lobby after my workouts!

As for the timeshare people, yes, they will ask you at check-in to listen to the presentation for a $75 gift card. We regretted going to the presentation because although they said it would take 90 minutes, it lasted well over two hours. If you just say "no" they can't force you to go. It's silly to let something this trivial affect your vacation. Don't worry about it.

I would definitely stay at the Ridge again. Thought it wasn't a gorgeous or super-modern timeshare unit, it was perfectly fine to get the job done. The real attraction here is Sedona. You just need a nice enough place to sleep. We thoroughly enjoyed ourselves and look forward to returning.

• Stayed: August 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank mcb1979
Reviewed May 2, 2008

I stayed at a Sunterra property in Scottsdale last year and loved it. This was a disappointment, maybe because of Diamond International taking over. The room itself was fine and the bed and linens were very comfy. Parking was kind of tight. The upsetting thing was that every interaction with staff was a hard-core sales pitch for something. Concierge even hides the pamphlets on the State Park. I believe they do this because they must get a kick-back from all the tourists they refer for the activities. The State won't pay for a referral. I did not feel I could trust the advice from the concierge at all!

• Stayed: April 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank copshop127
Reviewed March 31, 2008

Diamond Resorts took over this property in 2006. Since then it has gone down hill fast. The outside is well maintained, most likely to help sell timeshares to people who can only look at the outside and a selected model apt. The real units are dirty, old, with broken equipment and often smelly. It has become a cheap hotel. The staff who stayed on however are great and very helpful. In terms of being hounded by sales people, all you have to do is say no you don't want to go the the presentation (unless you are there with an obligation to go). I have never been bothered by them.

• Stayed: March 2008, traveled as a couple
Reviewed March 16, 2008

We made an exchange to specifically stay in Sedona from another Timeshare we own. We did not go for the golf so cannot comment on the course.

Four of us stayed in a 1st floor two bedroom apartment - this could be locked off as two apartments. The apartment itself was well furnished, full kitchen and bathroom and dining area, the second room had a mini kitchen and bathroom too - both rooms had a balcony, one overlooking a pool and the other the golf course. As were all family then we could enjoy more space than those who may have had just the 'economy' unit.

Upon check in staff were very helpful on the main desk but as others have mentioned there is a hard sell when collecting parking tickets etc from the other desk. We mentioned that we already owned a timeshare and were not interested and got 'attitude'. When they did not take no for an answer we agreed that we would meet up later in the week just to get away from the desk and did not turn up...this beats them at their own game as they then class you as 'time-waters'. My advise to anyone planning to stay here is just play along with it...agree to meet them on the last day of your vacation then don't turn up! Say that you are busy up to that point if they try to get you earlier.

We used this as a base as Sedona is beautiful place with plenty of interesting things to do and other places to visit. There is even a supermarket a 2 minute drive away which was open late even on the Sunday when we arrived which was a blessing considering we had driven from LA to get there that day.

Overall our experience was good and the location is out of this world!

• Stayed: March 2007, traveled with family
1  Thank NevJimBob
Reviewed January 25, 2008

We stayed at this "Resort" through a timeshare that my sister-n-law owns. However, various rooms can be had for about $159 a night on average. We had a one bedroom condo with a fire place, nice living area, full kitchen with all the appliances and dishes. The bathroom was very good sized and had a oversized jetted tub. I am sure we had all these amenities because it was a timeshare.

The furniture, entertainment center, carpet, paint on the walls etc were really showing their age. This was the only disappointment because you hear all these magnificent things about timeshare ownership and all the costs involved in owning one is supposed to keep everything tidy and up to par. Well that wasn't the case here.

FRONT DESK:

Nothing spectactular. Seemed very uninterested unless acourse you were being "courted" to view the property in hopes of buying a timeshare. However, the few gals we interacted with for questions and concerns were very nice and gave great information about the surrounding area.

VIEWS:

We live in Phoenix, Arizona which is only about 90 minutes to Sedona and we have visited many many times. Of all the properties we have stayed at, this property offers the best views of the red rock scenery. Its absouletly gorgeous and really creates a relaxing atmosphere whether you are outside your room or looking outside from your room.

SR 179:

This is the main access ( HWY ) to get to Sedona and currently its under construction. However, we were there during the slow season and I would say it only took about 15 minutes to get to all the attractions ( Jeep Tours ) and shopping and fine restaurants. Its a nice scenic drive also !

JEEP TOURS:

If you never been to Sedona the Jeep Tours are a must and there are several companies to choose from. Some actually take you deep in the red rock canyons where you really get spectactular views. Jeep tours are a must !

OAK CREEK CANYON:

Once you get into Sedona from SR 179 you can make a left onto 89A which is a hwy also but it will give you an absouletly beautiful drive through Oak Creek Canyon. I am a native of Arizona and I never knew that such beauty existed in Arizona. About 30 minutes later you will yourself in Flagstaff, Arizona.

COTTONWOOD:

Cottonwood, Arizona is an old-western town ( Small Town ) of sorts. It has a great mexican food restaurant called Casa Blanca. Great portions and reasonable prices. Cottonwood is about 30 minutes from the property depending on traffic. Ask the concierge for directions.

OVERALL:

If I was given the opportunity to stay at this property for $200 for 4 nights which translated to $50 per night I would stay. If the opportunity was not there I would stay at Radisson Poco Diablo
( Read My Review About This Property ). You will never find a room rate for $50 a night like we did through my sister-n-law. Sedona is at mininum $100 for a nice room but it is a place you have to check out if in the area.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled as a couple
3  Thank VegasLover28
Reviewed January 19, 2008

Stayed with my mother and sister for a wonderful girls getaway week, and had not even one sales pitch! Wonderful staff--we especially appreciated the help from the concierge in booking activities. Property is very nice, and the one-bedroom unit was plenty of room for three of us. Lots to do and see in the area, wonderful restaurants, and absolutely fantastic scenery. The distance from some of the most touristy stuff in town is actually nice, and except for road construction in Oak Creek it was easy to get around. We would definitely return, to Sedona and to this particular property.

• Stayed: January 2008, traveled with family