“A very good choice”

Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort
Ranked #26 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed September 24, 2012

We discovered Ridge on Sedona through a timeshare "deal", and were able to spend a very enjoyable week there at a good price. Although I would not quite describe it as plush, our lock-off unit was clean, attractive, and very functional. Due to the topography (and probably the zoning) around Sedona, much of the real estate is packed into tight or difficult spaces. The Ridge has this feel, as it is laid out to optimally fit into its hillside location. There's a better chance of getting a unit with a view if you choose an upper unit. By the luck of the draw, we had a very bright east-facing unit with a mountain view, lovely for taking morning coffee on the balcony. Due to the complex's hillside situation, there are mountain views to be had in most directions. I noticed that many units, particularly on the ground floor, face the hillside or a retaining wall, completely shaded and seldom if ever seeing sun. It appears that buildings 9 and 10, at the top of the hill, might be the best bet for views and exposures. The pool and spa area is lovely, in an elevated spot with mountain views. Some visitors have mentioned the obligatory sales spiel. Upon checking in, we were directed to a counter staffed by timeshare salespeople. The woman we were sent to was charming but extremely motivated. If you're not interested you just have to politely but firmly say No Thank You, and make it plain if you already own a timeshare. I don't suspect that their "gifts" are worth the required endurance. But, go for it if you're really interested! Similarly, when walking the main street in Sedona visiting the shops, be careful not to pause (or in some cases even make eye contact) at storefronts with a sign saying "Information" or "Museum". These are timeshare hawkers trying to get your attention, and in some cases they are extremely persistent. The Ridge's Oak Creek location is seven miles from Sedona, but what a beautiful seven miles it is. Oak Creek is as convenient to sightseeing and attractions as Sedona is, but you'll probably find yourself venturing up to Sedona more often for dinner.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Travelin_Bear
Lori L, Manager at Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 25, 2012

Thank you for your review of The Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed your stay in our beautiful area. You took some great photos of our remodeled suites and were here during a magnificent time of the year weather wise! The drive into Sedona proper is always a treat with views at every turn – even locals never tire of seeing those awe inspiring red rocks. We look forward to having you as a guest in the future.

There are newer reviews for Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort

Reviewed September 22, 2012

We requested an upstairs room that was renovated. We had a lovely view. The staff was terrific. The location is good, although it is 7 miles from Sedona. It is really fun driving back in the pitch black from Sedona after dinner. The staff was very helpful in recommending restaurants and places to see. One big downside. They talk you into their timeshare talk. We are experienced time-share owners and it was pure torture. They kept us there for more than 2 hours. The $ they wanted was just crazy. I thought we would never get out. Not worth the discounted Jeep trip.
Also they charge for wi-fi, you can use the free computers in the lobby, only 2 but if you time it right you can catch one. All in all a lovely resort.

Room Tip: Ask for a renovated room, upstairs(no elevator)
  • Stayed: September 2012, traveled with friends
1  Thank vegasgirl21
Lori L, Manager at Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 24, 2012

Thank you for your review of The Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort. We are pleased that you enjoyed the accommodations and the friendliness of the staff. Next year we will complete the last phase of our renovations and are thrilled to be able to offer each guest the experience of the remodeled improvements. Our sales agents are trained to keep it within the time limits specified but sometimes it does go over if there are questions. At any rate, I do apologize for the experience you had and look forward to having you stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed September 19, 2012

We've stayed here in the past and were pleasantly surprised not only with the upgraded units but also a marked difference in customer service. Staff project the feeling that they like working here.
The Ridge's close to everything in Sedona, located near Bell Rock.
The Ridge's clearly a good choice to see Sedona, Painted Desert,
Grand Canyon.....

• Stayed: September 2012
2  Thank Massasoit
diamondresorts, Owner at Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 21, 2012

We’re delighted that your most recent stay at the Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort exceeded your expectations! We have a constant program of improvement at the resort and our aim is to keep getting better and better – we hope you’ll choose to return here again soon!

Reviewed September 13, 2012

Had a two bedroom - main unit plus lockoff. Nice and big. Very comfortable beds, huge bathrooms, great living and dining, nice kitchen. Comfy front and back patios for mornings and evenings. Just wished the main bath fan would actually suck! Kitchen lacked baskets and such little items, but otherwise love the fast hot stove elements. Switches on lights a bit tricky to figure out. Expensive internet, per device too, not per unit. Walking distance to clubhouse. Currently first circle from highway, just 5 minutes away.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Kay L
Lori L, Manager at Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded September 16, 2012

I am very pleased that you enjoyed your stay and appreciated the spacious size of our two bedroom lock off suites. Thank you for the comment about the bathroom fan -- we will have that repaired immediately. We know that we offer a great location with easy access for all there is to do in Sedona and look forward to having you return again in the future! Thank you for writing a review on TripAdvisor

Reviewed August 24, 2012

We exchanged in through II and had a 2 bedroom (included the lockoff) unit in the developer owned section (?) and it was a wonderful unit. Spacious and well-equipped. King bed in the master and queen bed in the lockoff. Lockoff is a nice apartment sized room with small kitchen, dining table, pull out couch and large bathroom (for a 2nd bedroom bathroom). It would have been nice to have one more chair in the living room to comfortably seat 4 (rather than putting 3 on the couch). We kept dragging over a comfortable, but heavy, chair from the dining table. Furnishings were in pretty good shape. Not perfect, but very acceptable (dining table was well worn, couch welt in lockoff was ripped). No view out of our first floor unit (looked at a landscaped wall below the pool area). It was quiet; just not scenic.

1) Had two Maintenance issues (noticeably dirty spots on rug and air conditioning in lockoff stopped working the first night) which were promptly resolved. Maintenance worked on Sunday and got a part for the A/C that day. They brought in a portable A/C as an interim solution while they troubleshot. You couldn't have asked for more and they would have moved us to another unit if they hadn't been able to fix it. Carpet was shampooed first thing Monday.

2) Pool closest to front desk is very enjoyable, with a beautiful view, lots of lounge chairs, generally a breeze, but there is not a lot of shade available. The lounge chairs under the tree and the one cabana are at a premium. Tables with umbrellas would be nice.

3) Resort is in the Village of Oak Creek, south of Sedona about 10 to 15 minutes. There are very good restaurants and shopping within minutes in Village of Oak Creek; just be aware that this resort is not IN downtown Sedona. The plus is that the drive to the resort from Sedona is GORGEOUS...you never tire of the view!

4) As another reviewer wrote: we were directed right from Check In to the Concierge desk to get maps and activities schedule (you cannot get them at the Check In desk). Robin did an excellent job recommending restaurants, sights to see, tours to take, etc. Of course, in exchange for all the helpful info she gave us, she pitched doing the 90 minute timeshare presentation. Because we resisted for awhile (we REALLY don't like this part of timeshare), her pitch was long (I think we were with her for an hour -- 15-20 minutes getting helpful tips and 40-45 minutes getting the pitch to go on a tour). At her insistence that this would be a low pressure, 90 minute tour and that they would just appreciate our being their "word of mouth advertising" , we scheduled the tour. It ended up being 2+ hours long and would have run longer had we not put up a fuss at that point. While the sales guy presenting Diamond was professional and well-versed, the "manager" who kept coming around trying to be humorous and our buddy was irritating, and the "closer" (who would have offered us free "points" to try out Diamond had we not been insistent that we were not buying, were not interested and were leaving) was downright rude. It left a bad taste in our mouths about Diamond International in spite of the fact that this was a very, very nice resort to stay in. We have been to other timeshare presentations which were much less aggravating. My advice: know this up front and if you really aren't interested, get your maps and schedule and tell them you aren't interested and walk away. We were too polite and lured by the $75 VISA gift card and extra incentive to attend.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
3  Thank PapayaBaby
Reviewed August 19, 2012

Arrived here yesterday with my family. Lovely apartment with ajoining door for our son with his own bathroom and kitchen! Been into old town for the day and have booked a jeep ride for tomorrow. Lots of shops to suit everyone and only a ten minute drive really is beautiful and a very different view on America- be mindful that this is a time share and you will be approached to attend a presentation although you wont be bullied into it. Stalff very helpful Tyler looked after us and was professional and friendly. Last night we got nibbles which were free and there is plenty going on. Yes would come again.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank Lizi999
diamondresorts, Manager at Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort, responded to this reviewResponded August 24, 2012

Thank you for taking the time during your stay to post a review of our resort. We are pleased to hear to that our staff treated you and your family well. They take great pride in treating our guests with professional courtesy and friendliness, as if they were part of their own family. We hope the rest of your vacation went well, and look forward to seeing you and your family again soon!

Reviewed August 19, 2012

We booked a family trip six days and five nights at the Ridge. Originally we had chosen Los Abrigados as our destination but it was booked solid after being featured in a summer issue of a timeshare travel magazine. This was an exchange weekend using timeshare exchange company and I was a little apprehensive because we traded a two bedroom unit, but there was only a 1 bedroom unit available at the Ridge. A month prior to leaving for vacation I called the resort and spoke with Lilliana. I requested a room with a view on the second floor. Upon arriving on the first day Kevin at the front desk was charming and helpful. He assured me Lilliana was able to comply with my request and the view was very good. We were quickly checked in. When I ask about maps he directed me across room to the concierge desk.

The Pitch
This is a timeshare property so I was expecting the pitch for us to attend an informational tour. I completely understand why they have to pitch to us. I was perfectly prepared to attend their session just to see what they offered, however, the insistence that my husband must attend was where the deal fell through. While I don't mind sitting through it...the memory of our last two and half hour 'info tour' is still indelibly stamped in his mind. After all, we are already owners. All properties, not just this one, should try to downsize their tour and tailor it for owners. While the concierge person insisted it would only take 1.5 hours I had a difficult time believing it. I've been to four other presentations at four different properties and it always takes longer than 1.5 hours. I could not in good conscious follow through with the tour. I would have gone by myself (after all that is how we bought our original property), but I could not drag my husband.

The other thing that stuck out for me was there was almost no interaction with the concierge desk other than scheduling the info tour. Perhaps that is where they can start making changes. They could focus more on what is available in and around the grounds and how they can assist in booking excursions or activities and tell guest exactly how much we can save booking with them as opposed to booking it ourselves. It wasn't until I agree to the tour initially that I was given coupons for activities and dining. If I knew I could get a 10-15% discount because I booked through concierge as opposed to booking directly myself and using AAA or other programs I would have. It would have saved me time and aggravation searching for deals on the internet. This type of assistance would have a more lasting impression on me than any 1.5 hour info tour. I can see the property myself and look up any other questions on the internet. I consider myself to be an average traveler with a modest amount of discretionary income. I don't believe I am the only one attempting to maximize every dollar used on traveling and every available vacation hour on relaxing and enjoying the vacation. When I speak to other timeshare owners they share my opinion.

Location
The location was phenomenal. It was fifteen minutes from 'downtown Sedona' but it felt like our own private resort. We were directly across from one of the pools and not once were we disturbed by noise from any enjoying a swim. While relaxing on the balcony occasionally a golf cart would pass below and the familiar whack of club hitting the golf ball could be heard, but it was not disruptive. While sitting inside with the balcony door closed you couldn't hear the golfers at all.

All major roads were easily accessible from our locations. Our day trips to visit the sights in other cities near Sedona were easy to plan and navigate. The outlet shopping, post office, grocery store and gas station were 5 minutes away. This was very convenient.

Amenities
The Activities Calendar was given to us at check-in. There was something for everyone including young children and adults. You could be as active or relaxed as you wanted. The fitness center was open 24hrs. It had three TV's and courtesy towels. The pools were open 8am to 10pm. We were given pool towels and room towels. A very nice touch considering how often children go in and out the pool. One caveat- keep track of your pool towels. You will be charged if they turn up missing from the room. There were gas barbeque grills at the pools so planning a relax day was super easy. Our pool also had a soda vending machine and separate ice machine. Perfect for a poolside afternoon in the sun. The business center had two computers, complimentary coffee and I was able to printout our airplane boarding passes without incurring additional charges. I really appreciated this courtesy. It is a very minor thing, but I hate being charged for printing boarding passes. After all the money you spend on vacation it's just one more annoyance.

I would stay at The Ridge again without hesitation. As a matter of fact I recommended it to a relative who is also a timeshare owner and planning a trip within the next two months. The views were amazing the staff was helpful and pleasant and the location was perfect.

Room Tip: Call in advance as early as possible to request a good room with a view. The more time they have to...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank jstdreamin

Thank you for taking the time to write and post your review. We are delighted to hear that we were able to accommodate your view request, and that our location met your vacation needs. Our staff takes great pride in going the extra mile in providing excellent Customer Service. We appreciate the feedback you provided in regard to our concierge staff. It is important to us to see where our strengths and weaknesses are, and this information will go a long way in assisting us find out where we need improvement and make the appropriate changes. The tips you have provided for our future guests will be of great assistance to them. We look forward to being able to accommodate you and your family again in the near future.