“Relaxing in a Great Location” 4 of 5 bubbles
Review of Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort

Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort
Ranked #25 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Montclair, NJ
“Relaxing in a Great Location”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed May 2, 2012

The Ridge on Sedona Golf Resort isn’t actually in Sedona but a few short miles away. This resort isn’t particularly large; as I’m told, part of it is residential however it’s very beautiful with an amazing view of the red rocks. The landscape and the decor are nice. I’m also told there are some units that still needs to be updated however; I was extremely happy my unit; 1305; was very updated. It was nice size studio, with a very comfortable bed, flat screen television, dvd player, an iHome Audio alarm clock docking station, a new pull out sofa, a modern updated bathroom, dishwasher and a small table that sits off from the kitchen area. The location is great because you are not far from many things in Sedona but I will warn you there are also light restrictions in Sedona; so there are no street lights and it is VERY dark at night. I live in the New York Tri State area where the city never sleeps so I will say; driving to the resort from Phoenix, 2 hours, was pretty interesting! I had no problems from the time of check-in, which was ~ 9pm to the concierge. At the completion of check in, most of the restaurants were closing or closed but the concierge tried feverishly to help get us something to eat. We would dear not, to attempt to drive those dark streets looking for food. Fortunately, Domino’s is good from just about anywhere, they delivered. There is Wi-Fi access in the rooms however it comes with a cost but I was able to find a free signal, not sure from where, that allowed me to check my yahoo account and ESPN. There are two computers to use at the guest service building that has internet and printing capability; up to 20 minutes per guest. There is a small 24 hour fitness center on-site in addition to a small activities room that provides free books and games however the DVD rental cost is 2.15/day. The guest can also use the Bar-B-Q Grills on site. There are two swimming pools; one larger than the other. The hot tube is not conveniently located next to the larger swimming pool which I thought was extremely odd. You literally have to walk across a street and down many steps, make a few turns and there it’s hiding. Weird! Outside of the resort being beautiful and situated in a great location, there really isn’t much to do which makes my review very tough. I would definitely return for comfort, peace & quiet and maybe a little golf but unless there is an overhaul in activities, I do not plan on doing anything else there. I reluctantly rate this resort a 3 ½ Star but if they provide more activities, I can see it being a 4 1/2 - 5 star.

Room Tip: Some of the rooms have not been updated. A few days before check in, ask for a renovated room.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with friends
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (192)
  • Korean first
California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

Just returned from a 2 night stay in Sedona, which I wish had been longer, however we were on our way to GCNP. The Ridge on Sedona is perfectly situated among the Red Rocks at the southern tip of Sedona in the community of Oak Creek. The accommodations were excellent for our needs (queen bed/sofa bed/mini-kitchen more than adequate/giant bathroom), the check-in was a breeze (thanks Tyler for your assistance). All in all this was a great stay.

Stayed April 2012, traveled as a couple
Vancouver, Canada
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 23, 2012

We stayed a week in Sedona ( well... Oak Creek) and we were busy every day with hiking, bird watching, shopping and just plain relaxing. The unit and resort were clean and very well kept up. The staff was very friendly and helpful. Our only complaint ( if you could call it that) is that you have to pay AT&T $7 a day for in room wifi. In this day and age that is unacceptable

• Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
2 Thank Lonelobster
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 18, 2012 via mobile

We stayed for one week in a one bedroom I exchanged. the staff was very friendly and the room was well maintained, clean, and efficient for our family. I feel like they do a better job than Marriott.

Stayed May 2011
Merrick
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 15, 2012

We, 2 adults and 3 children (13,11,8) just returned from a week in Sedona. The property is a timeshare property owned by Diamond Resorts. It is located in the community of Oak Creek which is 8 miles south of Uptown Sedona. As for location, some of the best trails we did, Bell Rock, Cathedral Rock and Templeton trails, were within 2 miles of the property. The communities of Oak Creek & Sedona are small enough that dining, supermarkets, outdoor activities are all within a maximum of 20 minute drive.
First the property, the units are either a one bedroom with pullout couch or a studio with pullout couch. They are surrounded by an 18 hole well attended golf course. Our unit faced north and had a beautiful view of Bell Rock and Courthouse Butte. They do not offer two bedroom with single beds in the 2nd bedroom. You must get the one bedroom plus studio for a family of 5. This is the only drawback for families. The unit was clean and fairly well stocked. This unit had the basic needs. Refrigerator with ice maker, electric stove, microwave and enough pots and pans to make simple meals. The staff was very friendly and accommodating. The desk reception was friendly and quick. On two occasions we had to call guest services and within 15 minutes the problems were resolved.
Timeshare properties are infamous for going with the hard sell even if you are already an owner. On check in we skipped the concierge desk, usually the first wave of attack, and never returned to pick up our arrival package. We were not contacted again regarding time share opportunities. Very pleased with that.
As for the area, if traveling with children, this is only for the outdoor adventure type. There are no arcades, mini-golf, go-karts etc. The entertainment is the outdoors. Aside from the numerous trails, there are bike rentals for on & off road, jeep tours and off road rentals, balloon and helicopter tours. We opted for two Jeep tours. One with Safari Jeep and the other with A day in the West. Both companies are the small, locally owned operations. We were pleased with both. The highly advertised Pink Jeep tours have the corporate backing and 80 spotless jeeps, but for my money I go with the Mom & Pop operations. We took the Diamond Back Extreme tour (think bouncy roller coaster with more dust) and the Mongollon Rim sunset tour. Both were a hit with kids and parents alike. We traveled during the high spring break season. We got out early to find parking on the popular trails. We worked up an appetite, ate lunch and then relaxed poolside while the kids splash about.
Sedona is 2 hours from the Grand Canyon. If I were to do it over again I would have stayed overnight in nearby Tusayan. There is too much to see in 6 hours.
We will return again in the future, it is that much fun.

Room Tip: North side rooms have view of red rocks.
  • Stayed April 2012, traveled with family
3 Thank 041712w
Clinton
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

Our stay at the Ridge was wonderful. It snowed while we were there which made the place look so beautiful. The accomodations were clean, and comfortable.We stayed a week with friends in a one bedroom with a studio. The Studio had a mini kitchen complete with microwave, mini stove, and full size refridgerator. We were able to enter our studio separately from our friends' which made our stay very private and we did not have to inconvience our friends. We also had a full bathroom and access to a washer and dryer. Management was very accomodating. We attended a sales presentation; but did not feel pressure from the sales representative. Would highly recommend the Resort to our friends.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Jessie B
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 12, 2012

The Ridge on Sedona was very close to the famed Cathedral and Bell Rock. You definitely need to rent a car, but in our case we just made it a road trip and had a blast! The Jeep tours looked fun, but we ended up creating our own Jeep tour, and as long as you can handle your 4WD vehicle with enough clearance...you should be having your own adventure in no time while following the Broken Arrow Trail. Enough about the location, calm, quiet nights with clear skies made for beautiful night time star gazing along the golf course too.

The staff who greeted us were not very helpful to say the least. I turned down their time-share offer politely, and they still insisted on giving me the 10 minute speech about what free things they would throw at me if I went to their presentation. The front-desk people were nice, the concierge...not so much. Good thing we were able to navigate the area pretty easily! Since we were there during winter, we turned on the unit fireplace every night and woke up to beautiful sunrises across the Sedona rocks overlooking the golf course. The spa wasn't warm enough in my opinion, but the large hot tub in the unit made up for it.

Despite the unwelcoming concierge desk, the unit itself was gorgeous, clean, and romantic. My boyfriend and I took two other friends and we all had an amazing time hiking and exploring. Some even went shopping in town and swimming in the hot tub. I wouldn't mind staying here again!

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends