“very outdated, but clean”
Review of Sky Ranch Lodge

Sky Ranch Lodge
Ranked #1 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Sedona
Reviewed December 29, 2009

away from the main street ...the room..very quiet...very simple to say the least...very outdated look....even though I have to say the room appeared clean..the bed was comfortable.....the main sheets(white) were certainly clean...I have no doubt about it...and believe me...I do check wherever I go...but I still can't get over the look of the comforter cover and this blue blanket...I still would recommend this motel...staff very friendly...location great....the only problem I still have is ..with the look of the bedding!!!!!!

Stayed: December 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank BadIschl

Reviewed December 13, 2009

We have stayed here several times where we meet up with our friends from Las Vegas. Over the years we have stayed at several other places in the valley but now neither they nor we would consider staying anywhere else in Sedona. We expect to be back again in 2010. Although it has no restaurant the one at the airport 100 yds away is very good.

• Stayed: June 2007, traveled as a couple
Reviewed November 28, 2009

We stayed here in November to see the red rocks and to use as a base when we explored the Grand Canyon.

We stayed in the bargain rooms that cost $80/night. They were basic and clean, but the room (#229) smelled like smoke. Also, the walls are VERY VERY thin. So when our neighbors wanted to get up at 6AM and started opening and closing their drawers to get their clothes, this woke us up (not to mention the loud laughing and talking at all hours).

The staff was extremely friendly and helpful, especially Mark, who gave us step by step directions to the Grand Canyon as well as advice on where to eat breakfast and pick up sandwiches prior to our trip. He also provided us with a map of Sedona and pointed out points of interest.

While the property had a pool and jacuzzi, we didn't use them (the temperature was just too cold). The lodge has a computer for its guests to use located in the lobby. There is free coffee in the morning for the guests.

The location of the hotel was nice, set up high above the downtown area of Sedona, so it has a nice view. Yes, it is located on Airport Road and is close to the airport, but you do not hear any noise at all from the airport. Also, just outside the lobby area is a scenic viewpoint which is gorgeous, especially at sunset. I believe it is the location of a vortex (if you are into that kind of thing).

Also, a quarter mile down the road, there is a site where you can hike up some red rocks. Highly recommended.

If you are looking for an early breakfast and sandwiches, check out Wildflower Bread Company. It's fantastic!

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
3  Thank vth888
Reviewed November 22, 2009

The Sky Ranch Lodge was a very peaceful place to stay while in Sedona. Its tucked up on top of of winding road near the airport (zero noise from the airport btw) with stunning views of the red rocks. Downtown is rather touristy and busy so we really preferred being away from the action off of West 89A. The rooms were huge and had cute southwest tiles. We had free wifi so that was extremely helpful. We were able to search restaurants, hikes and shops. Our room looked at the adorable garden area of the lodge and it was a short walk to see the stunning red rocks. It really is a wonderful value. For 80 dollars you get a lovely room, a pretty garden area, free wifi and stunning red rock views. There's also a pool and a hot tub. We were there on a chilly weekend so we didn't use them but they looked well maintained. Its just a short ten minute drive back into downtown and to some great hiking routes. If you have some time in Sedona definitely take a tour up Schnebly Hill Road (if you have a 4 wheel Jeep you can do it on your own) and visit Oak Creek Canyon both are gorgeous. For a great lunch spot visit the Oak Creek grocery and deli next to Garland's Indian Jewelry at the bottom of Oak Creek Canyon. They have very tasty sandwiches and cookies and a cute garden patio.

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank metrochica
Reviewed November 11, 2009

Like a lodge from the sixties, which I guess it is. We really didn't like much about the town, too much pavement, luxury condos and full of bad art and crystal vortex healing arts shops (sorry...) but Sky Ranch was like a trip back in time it's location saved the trip for us. Oak Creek Canyon is beautiful though.....

• Stayed: November 2009, traveled with friends
Reviewed November 8, 2009

After pouring over my hotel choices in Sedona, I opted for the Sky Ranch Lodge. It was significantly cheaper than any decent alternatives available during my visit, and it has a unique location away from the main highways in town. Turns out I made an excellent choice!

This basic lodge is similar to your standard old motel but is well maintained and situated in a fabulous location near the airport (no noise, don't worry) and away from everything else. The center of town is a five-minute drive away, so it's actually closer to shops and restaurants than some budget hotels on the south side of town. Plus the views up on the mesa are excellent. In fact, there is a wildly popular vista point next to the lodge that bunches of people come up to visit around sunset.

The lodge premises were more elaborate than I expected, with landscaping and even a bridge over a little creek. The rooms were certainly basic but still spacious! There were a couple dirty countertops (one with dust, the other with a sticky residue) in my room, but overall the place was as clean as the four-star hotels one finds elsewhere.

Staff seemed friendly and helpful, although I didn't chat much with them, and fellow guests were just as nice. Met several people at the cozy hot tub, which was well utilized even at closing time (which is at the rather early time of 9 PM). The lodge pulls from a wide variety of travelers--people making their first trip out west, couples from Phoenix, road trippers from Europe, and even solo travelers from California (i.e., me).

Sky Ranch Lodge has a good thing going on, and I recommend staying here if you find yourself in Sedona. I will say that several furnishings are old, but they're still well kept and seem to be replaced if broken. For example, the a/c unit in my room had been completely replaced with a fancy remote-operated unit that worked like a charm and made almost no noise. Only drawback? Hardest bed I've slept on in a hotel in ages.

• Stayed: September 2009, traveled solo
2  Thank davdaven
Reviewed November 1, 2009

We absolutely loved the Sky Ranch Lodge. While it wasn't a modern "fancy" hotel, it had all the amenities we needed. A large room with a fantastic view, a fireplace (very romantic!), a kitchenette, and clean bathroom.

We loved being able to sit on our porch/balcony to watch the sunset each night. Even better was going to use the hot tub after a long day of hiking!

The staff were very friendly and helpful, and the price was just right. We hope to return to Sedona some day and would definitely plan to stay here again if we are lucky enough to get back there.

I'd highly recommend this place!

• Stayed: October 2009, traveled as a couple