“View overode the rest”
Review of Sky Ranch Lodge

Sky Ranch Lodge
Ranked #1 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Sedona
Reviewed March 17, 2014

we were only in the hotel for one night. with that said, the combination of value and view were just unbelievable. I'm not sure how this is considered a 1 star hotel on some booking sites. We stayed at some real 1 stars; this is not a 1 star. So you if you are looking for good view and good value for a short stay, I'd defintely say sign right up. We weren't there long enough to offer a more long term outlook.

Room Tip: Pay the extra money and get a room with a view. the pictures online just dont do it justice
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Write a ReviewReviews (1,359)

Reviewed March 17, 2014

Location, location, location! The views are spectacular and the gardens around the hotel are nice too. The view of the city lights at night is also a plus.

Do not choose this hotel for the room because you will be disappointed. The rooms are really old and musky smelling. They have old cabinets made out of plywood and the shower is claustrophobic due to the low ceiling. Beds are firm and bedding is like from the 1980's (satiny). The kitchenette is a joke. Small microwave, sink, and fridge. They actually have a sign saying "Leave the kitchen the way you found it." The maid does not wash dishes, only makes beds and replaces towels. She didn't wash our morning coffee cups, just set them to the side of the counter.

My last complaint is that they don't want you checking in early. We stopped to see if the room was ready at 3 pm and they said no. They called us at 3:55 pm to say it was ready. Really??!! Check out is at 11 am and it took that long to replace towels and sheets? Hire some more maids for goodness sake.

Room Tip: Don't splurge on the deluxe room with the rim side view. Just walk the 30 yards down to the hot...
  • Stayed: March 2014, traveled with family
Reviewed March 13, 2014

I was very pleased with the views from the terrace at this location. After seeing the hordes of people at the public viewing platform, I was very happy to be going back to my hotel to sip wine and watch the sunset with only a small group. The sunrise was also amazing.
The hotel has an old charm feel which suits my husband and myself very well.
On the down side, besides one person at the front desk named Nancy, I found all other staff to be very rude, not only with me but with each other. I was shocked at the tone the women took with each other. I asked about a remote control for the air conditioner in my room, not sure if it was lost. I was told they don't keep them in the rooms in the winter, (coming from Oregon, it didn't feel like winter to us), the staff was too busy to bring one, and if I was hot, just open the windows. Again, I loved Nancy and used her from then on to help me as I wanted to book another room, but had I needed to have Marcy do it, I would have just left a day earlier.

Room Tip: The walk to the viewing platform was so short, you don't need to book a special room to get ther...
2  Thank 766PattyB
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Yes, as everyone's said, the views are spectacular. But the rest of the Lodge, we felt, was lacking in a whole lot of ways. The first is that we found the service much less welcoming and professional than we've experienced in so many other lodges, motels and hotels in the South-West. There was none of that warm interest and those pleasant, personal touches we've become used to.

Staff didn't volunteer any information - about the area, restaurants or facilities for instance - unless actually asked. And on the one occasion we DID ask - about booking at a local restaurant, we were given entirely erroneous information (ie that we couldn't reserve a table, which not the case) This is just not good enough.

So, having found the place less-than-perfect in that way, what about the accomodation? We booked a Rim Room Deluxe. Well, it makes me wonder quite seriously what NOT De-luxe would be like. Our storage space comprised two tiny drawers (and I mean tiny) and maybe 5 hangers. For 2 of us for 4 nights. De-luxe? I don't think so. And incredibly slow wi-fi....

There were plus points - we had a deck looking over the red rocks, a gorgeous view we couldn't ever get tired of. The beds were really comfortable and the fireplace was cosy. But those factors simply aren't enough to make for a 'de-luxe' experience. And the management needs to encourage the staff to take much more interest and offer a much warmer welcome if this is to be an outstanding experience. We felt it was very much cruising on its situation and the view - and doing too little else,

• Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank jojoDorset
Reviewed March 9, 2014

Let me preface this by saying I have stayed here several times over the years but this is a vastly different experience. You can not take away from the views here and the addition of a bar is great. But the rooms are dated and dumpy now, ours smells like mold, the towels are thin, the pillows are lumpy and our patio floor and table still had left over cereal on it. Used to be my favorite place but I will not recommend it again.

• Stayed: March 2014
2  Thank Lisabelle57
Reviewed March 8, 2014

The location of the Sky Ranch lodge and view of Sedona can't be beat, although it feels like a step back in time. But for us, that was part of the charm! Yes, the rooms are a little dated, and the bed not soft or plush, but everything was clean and the staff friendly. We stayed in a "partial view" room, very spacious with fireplace, and deck, and this landed us on the upper floor. The bathroom was also very spacious. I felt bad for the people who were in the unit below us though, because the floor creaked quite a bit. We spent 4 days here and found that we planned our time in order to be "back at the ranch" for the sunset over Sedona. A small wine bar is open in the afternoon/early evening for this event. A pool and hot tub are also onsite. If you stay here make sure that you either stay on the upper level, or in one of the cottages. The gardens were beautiful with winding paths and koi ponds. The Sedona airport is within walking distance, (breakfast and lunch served at the grill), and a half mile down the road is the airport vortex. There is a path leading to the vortex, not so much a hike as it is a scramble (that's how one hiking guide described it). For the value, we would definite stay here again.

Room Tip: Don't choose a lower level unit, if people are above you it could be noisy.
3  Thank Moonjogger
Reviewed March 6, 2014

This is an older mom-and-pop motel with several 4-unit buildings. About half are on the rim of the canyon overlooking the entire city of Sedona and the red-rock backdrop. Rim-view rooms cost a little more and are well worth it. We had a deck in back where we enjoyed a glass of wine overlooking the magnificent Sedona valley. The rooms were clean albeit a little outdated, but prices at other Sedona hotels were outrageous and the Sky Ranch was reasonable plus had the best views. There was a separate viewing area for those without rim cabins. I wouldn't think of staying anyplace else in Sedona. The airport was a short walk away and the Mesa Grill restaurant there had great breakfasts.

Room Tip: Pay for a rim room.
1  Thank John C