“A Much Different Stay”

Ranked #2 of 21 Specialty Lodging in Sedona
Tucson
“A Much Different Stay”
Reviewed May 18, 2013

I have stayed at Sky Ranch Lodge half a dozen times in recent years, I have always opted for a rim view room and always enjoyed Sky Ranch Lodge up until this visit. It is an older facility with nice, casual 70's style decor. The reason to stay at Sky Ranch Lodge is for the view.

I find myself quite displeased with this experience. The first issue was on the deck patio the first night, we had 1 chair and had to request a 2nd chair twice before one was delivered the next day so we could not really enjoy the patio that evening at all as we would have preferred. The chair that was on the patio was filthy with old paint splatters all over it.

I also noted many insects in the room including ants, crickets and spiders--one of them on my bath towel when I looked down. Both my husband and I have several bites from some critter in the room, it looks spider in nature. I count 5 on my myself as I type.

The most annoying factor of the room was the fact that there was a big zero privacy. People who did not even appear to be residents of Sky Ranch Lodge thought it was just fine to come down and stand in the area immediately in front of our view and block the views, they bantered loudly, it included people doing photography and seemed like an endless parade. I really disliked that and felt I was booked into the worst possible room for that particular foopah. Sky Ranch Lodge has constructed a new little patio addition/common area right there which was a nice touch, but people did not stay on that, they wandered down and showed an amazing sense of oblivion to why those of us paid for the room with the upgraded view option. I am willing to live and let live but this behavior stepped way over the line.

The other thing that was most annoying was the incredibly loud AC unit, if watching TV when it came on, it required increasing the volume to be able to hear what was being watched and turning it back down when the unit switched off.

I also note that an email I sent expressing my concerns was completely ignored. I looked at my husband and we both agreed, this was not the experience we had in mind although we loved being in Sedona for our anniversary and found every other aspect of our visit to be beautiful.

4 Thank DixieJ

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (403)
  • Korean first
Huntsville, Alabama
Reviewed May 18, 2013

We spent 2 nights prior to heading up to Lake Powell. The hotel sits on top of a hill and has a spectacular view of some of Sedona's Red Rocks. There is a patio where you can sit and watch the sunset behind the rocks, awesome! The rooms themselves were a little dated (giant old tv!!) and the wifi was a little flakey, but very clean and comfortable and provided a refrigerator, coffee maker and microwave. The grounds were very nicely landscaped and maintained and the staff were very friendly and helpful. We got a super rate on this hotel and our room was on the backside, if I go back I would definitely pay a little more to get one of the rooms overlooking the rocks, fantastic view, and after all that is what we were there for!

Room Tip: Go for one of the rooms with the views of the rocks, worth paying a little extra for.
Lake Havasu City, Arizona
Reviewed May 15, 2013

On our way back home to Lake Havasu City from a trip to visit our families back in Michigan, my husband and I (with our dog in tow) decided to make a detour trip to Sedona that evening. Somewhere on the New Mexico/Arizona border we used the Kayak ap to see what was available for that evening in Sedona, and the Sky Ranch Lodge was the cheapest option available that was pet friendly.

First of all, driving into Sedona is absolutely breathtaking, that's an experience unto itself. We drove through the village and meandered up the winding road to the lodge, we were thrilled to see what we'd booked!

The hotel sits high above Sedona offering gorgeous views of the mountains and the town below. The property is layed out in such a way that the buildings containing the rooms are all separate, circling around the hotel check-in area and pool. We checked in, got our room key, found the building our room was in and parked (right outside of our room which I really liked).

The room itself is a BIT dated, but huge and had everything you could need, including a kitchenette. We made good use of the balcony/porch off the back of the room overlooking the garden area. We also took the dog to walk off some energy after being cooped up in the car for three days, around the property & it's shady gardens, to the "sunset viewing patio" to take in the views.

We made our way back to the room for dinner after sunset, and came across a huge tarantula in the garden area near the pool. A woman who works there said it was "their" tarantula and we learned they're all over the property. Sadly, at sunrise while walking through the parking lot, we noticed there were a few unfortunate tarantula's that got ran over after the sun went down.

The hotel doesn't have a restaurant or room service, but there was a menu in our room for the grill at the airport right next door. I knew there was a Picazzo's there (a favorite of mine, but they one in our town closed) so we ordered pizza & salad from Picazzo's, just a short drive away, and ate back in the room on the balcony.

I wouldn't hesitate to come back to the Sky Ranch Lodge, and wish our trip could have been longer. The hotel isn't luxurious, so if that's what you're after you'll be disappointed. But, if you're like us and like a great bargain and the "experience" rather than the "stuff" this hotel should be at the top of your list!

Room Tip: They have "Rim View" rooms which are pricer, but sit right on the edge of the cliff offeri...
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled as a couple
South Glastonbury, Connecticut, United States
Reviewed May 13, 2013

On Airport Mesa-so you can watch incredible sunsets every night. Walking distance to Mesa Grill.
Large comfortable rooms and reasonable prices. The hosts were very gracious. The rooms are set among gorgeous gardens. There are some rooms in three 2 story buildings which have great views of the gardens. Some rooms are on the edge of the mesa and have great sunset views. The wine bar is very convenient for a leisurely drink before walking down to enjoy the sunset.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled with family
Thornhill, Canada
Reviewed May 12, 2013

A wonderful, unpretentious resort. Beautiful, well kept, good attention to details. Reasonable priced. BUT: One of the best features in the resort is the Sunset Patio, which was kept closed for the resort's guests because of a private event. That was very frustrating!

Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Just returned from a 5 day stay. Had never stayed at Sky Ranch before. Will definitely return. Very friendly staff. Even tho it is near the airport, you rarely hear anything. WiFi works well. I watched a movie, got email. There are several wifi connections throughout the property, so no need to worry about getting connected.

Rooms are very clean. To be honest, the rooms do not have the lastest decor, so if this is important to you go spend $200 a night more elsewhere. The rooms are great.

My suggestion for a room is to get a room with a balcony, as they are very private. The patios are much less private. Place has wonderful relaxing grounds.

Have stayed at the Enchantment at $400 a night, don't bother, stay at Sky Ranch!!

Room Tip: Get an upstairs room with a balcony
  • Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank oilartist
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed May 7, 2013

Sky Ranch Lodge has become a regular getaway for us.
It's less than two hours drive from Phoenix for us.
The location is brilliant!
Being up on top of the Mesa near the Sedona airport means no noise from the busy main roads. But you're literally minutes away from the shops and restaurants.
Some people will argue that the rooms are a bit dated. Can't satisfy everyone I guess.
The grounds here are great.
We often bring our own breakfast items, and either sit on the patio or find a picnic table and just enjoy the peace and quiet early in the morning.
Then take a stroll over the the view area.
The staff has always been very friendly and accommodating.
And dogs are allowed (mega bonus!!)
Upgrading to the garden deluxe is worth it IMO.
Our next stay is already booked
That about sums things up

• Stayed March 2013