“Not Up To Par This Time!”
Review of Sky Ranch Lodge

Sky Ranch Lodge
Ranked #2 of 20 Specialty Lodging in Sedona
Scottsdale, Arizona
“Not Up To Par This Time!”
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I have been staying at Sky Ranch for MANY years, even before I moved to Scottsdale, twelve years ago. I stay here several times every year. I've seen numerous changes over the years, but they have, for the most part, been positive changes. The addition of the observation area and the wine bar are excellent enhancements and make your stay even more enjoyable. The big "draw" for Sky Ranch is the marvelous view AND the lovely, well kept grounds AND the quiet. However, something has happened...the staff at the front desk is not the usual friendly group of people. I'll say that I have seen new faces every time I check in lately. The "personality" is the gal at the wine bar! I stayed the same weekend as one of the other reviewers...the weekend of the wedding - and I heard the grumblings of the :first timers" at the hotel who were shut out of the observation area all day Saturday and Saturday evening. I have always been pleased with the accommodations. However, this time I was stuck behind the pool/hot tub area. Will make certain I don't get that room again! I really do wish they would get "with it" and stop putting spreads of any kind on the beds. They are germ catchers and I would be greatly surprised if they are laundered/dry cleaned after each guest. I just fold it and put it on one of the chairs, along with the "decorator-type" pillows that are on the bed. The pillows were ghastly. They were like a bunch of rags stuffed in a pillow case! Bring your own if you're fussy about your bed pillows! All in all, it's still the best value in Sedona, but it won't continue to be that if some further changes aren't made. The people at the front desk are the first "contact" for a guest whereby the first impression is made. Exemplary customer service is key to success in the hospitality business these days, so please take these comments to heart.

Room Tip: Stay away from #228
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled solo
2 Thank Nancy H

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (401)
  • Korean first
Vienna
Reviewed November 11, 2012

I stayed here repeatedly within the past 10 years. And it still is one of my favourite hotels in the Southwest. I like the remote location (relaxing and quiet), the Million Dollar View , the resort character (several buildings with 4 rooms in one building) and the exceptionally bautiful landscaped grounds. The rooms are decent in size and very clean. The interior could need a little update, but the garden view rooms are so reasonably priced, that make it’s up. Save your dollars and enjoy the view from the premises or walk a few yards to the viewpoint. Front desk staff is hit or miss. In general my experience was positive. I vote for the unique atmosphere and the value you get. I don’t mind the truly short drive to Sedona (I prefer a good night’s sleep) for breakfast and/or dinner, so distance is not an issue. We tried the Mesa Grill for breakfast (which is a 5 minutes walk away) and were rewarded with delicious food and a view of the runway.

• Stayed September 2012, traveled with friends
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed November 6, 2012

I stayed 3 nights during a workshop nearby, wasn't impressed with this hotel and service. The TV wasn't working when I checked in, took 2 service calls to get it fixed. Couldn't take a bath because it ran out of hot water after 4 minutes, only filled tub up a few inches before turning cold. Hot tub on property is small, isn't that hot and no jets. Desk staff wasn't friendly.

Room Tip: don't stay by the wine bar - noisy!
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled solo
1 Thank nmhiker505
Phoenix, Arizona
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My husband and I go to Sedona often and have wanted to stay at the Sky Ranch Lodge for a long time. Normally, we stay else where due to short notice (we had to book over three weeks out for this stay). We were excited to stay and enjoy the Overlook since the public area is not so romantic, take some sunset pictures and enjoy some quite time. When we arrived, late friday night, the desk clerk was rude from the start. Then snapped at me when I asked about the beer and wine bar. She went over the room location and advised the Overlook would be closed all day and night on Sat., our only chance to view the sunset from the Overlook, due to a wedding. I wish I had known that before booking, I would not have stayed there. When I said that to the clerk, she snapped at me again, stating "they paid for it". Well, so did I. It would have been nice if something on the internet had alerted me to this event. She had no empathy, no apology....nothing...just glared at me. The rooms were OK (bed was very hard, chair was broken in the room), the Maintenance people were great and the garden was wonderful. Hot tub was dirty and only luke warm. I could over look a lot of things except the rude clerk. I am very big on customer service and will not be back because of her or I'll call to see if she is still there and no weddings before thinking about another stay.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank J W
Phoenix, Arizona, United States
Reviewed October 29, 2012

If you're looking for a room that has that used 70's feel, then this is the place for you. While the view from the sunset deck is amazing, it's not worth the price for a room that needs some serious updating and maintenence. The bed sheetings, blankets and pillows are well used and rather disgusting. The service at the front desk was just as appealing as the room. Both people we talked to were very rude and didn't really care to hear what we had to say. The WiFi didn't work at all during out stay. Very annoying when you are trying to catch up on work or make plans for the next day. The only thing going for this hotel is the view. Fortunately you can get the same view at other local hotels that are cleaner and cheaper. Recommendation, skip this one.

Room Tip: Stay in Oak Creek Canyon at the Oak CreekTerrace. This gets you out of the touristy part of Sedona a...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with friends
atlanta
Reviewed October 28, 2012

When we were looking for a place to stay in Sedona we liked the idea of the view but weren't convinced of the quality... then we arrived and were enchanted. The property consists of several buildings with no more than 4 rooms in each building and beautiful landscaping throughout. And then there is the view. Oh my goodness the view. Everyone within an hour of Sedona comes here just to watch sunset. But we thought sunrise was even prettier (and considerably less crowded). The only downside is the lack of dining facilities but a 5 minute walk to the Mesa Grill at Sedona Airport provides yummy food, great coffee and spectacular views. We fell in love with the area and the people of Sedona and will absolutely definitely 100% return and stay at Sky Ranch again.

Oh... be sure to ask for Susie at Happy Hour, she's got all the 411 on where to eat and drink and play and shop in Sedona.

Missing it already...

Room Tip: There are a few rooms with direct views of the valley that also have a nice deck... worth the extra...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
toronto
Reviewed October 24, 2012

Nice clean quiet place up by the airport.2 min walk to the greatest sunset in the valley.room nice size ours had a balcony and a fireplace on the second floor. pool and hot tub nice but a walk from our room and I wish it had a shower there..then people will shower before entering pool or hot tub

Room Tip: Can be a bit of a walk to pools from some rooms
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family