“Overpriced; too many units crowded on the property; not serene”

L'Auberge de Sedona
Ranked #7 of 49 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed May 3, 2010

The resort does not measure up to its description or reputation. Value to price is poor and overall it is overpriced. The owners are adding additional units (cottages) onto an already congested property. The resort advertises creekside ambiance (necessary as there are few if any views of beautiful Sedona red rock country), yet few units border the creek. The views from the newer "spa" cottages are of the sides/backs of the neighboring units. Construction was underway from early am until evening during my stay, with noise, crews moving about the "serene" retreat. This was not relayed to me when I called to talk over the room options and dates. The spa also lacks views, although the pricey spa treatments were excellent. The restaurant was quite pricey (again price to value poor) and I had to laugh as it was not savvy to solo travelers --- I was shown to an inferior table at the edge of the room and had to point out a preferred available table. Then I was asked if I would like reading material! Train your staff - solo travelers are a notable demographic, expecting the same level of comfort, treatment as couples/groups. With that exception I would give the overall staff at the resort a very high rating.

Stayed: April 2010, traveled solo
2  Thank kamac1
Write a ReviewReviews (3,490)

Reviewed May 2, 2010

I not a guy to make a review but I think people should know what they are paying for. Nice clean place to stay, but it's like a 4 star YMCA summer camp. Just a bunch of cabins crammed together with very little privacy. We rented a creekside cottage it was over $1200 for 2 nights. The way your front deck is layed out your looking right at your neighbors. Not at all what I expected. Put it this way I what to propose to my girlfriend there and I did not. So much for one of the most romantic resorts.
Also the maid service was lame very little effort in cleaning our cottage,
I tried to ask questions before I booked via e mail and got very little, sometimes no help.
On a positive note the have a no tipping policy and free cheese and wine every afternnon.
Bottom line wont wasted big money on this place again,

2  Thank Socallowboy
Reviewed April 25, 2010

I was looking for a special place to celebrate a milestone birthday and looked at different states to go but settled on Sedona, AZ. I reviewed different hotels and decided that the L'Auberge looked good. Because this is a special occasion we decided to splurge and get a cottage - it was much more than I wanted to spend but when I called to make the reservation the agent asked her manager if we could get a better rate and she quoted me a price that was still high but less than the original rate so I booked it.

I started to get nervous before we got here because the rate was high and I wanted to make sure that this was 'the' place I wanted to spend my birthday. I hit their website about a week ago (too late to cancel my reservations) and noticed that the cottage we booked was going for $10 more than our 'special' rate! Not good.

When we checked in last night I mentioned this to Becka the 'concierge' that checked us in and she stated 'Oh, our rates fluctuate'! At this point I was feeling my mood fluctuate and it wasn't good. She could have handled it better but clearly she doesn't know about customer service. Off we go to this 'garden cottage' - there wasn't a garden even close to it! From the side the deck overlooked the back of the restaurant and all the excess boxes, trash and extra furniture. The view from the front of the deck and the bedroom room looked at the entrance to the restaurant. We could see people coming, going and sitting on the restaurant patio. I was not pleased at all. On a positive note, the hotel left a bottle of champagne and strawberries for us. The room was very nice but I felt that our privacy was compromised. The window coverings consisted of 4 flimsy panels that barely covered the windows - not comforting when the windows overlooked the restaurant entrance.

This morning I asked to speak to someone about my dissatisfaction with the room and a nice young man at the desk suggested that he could help me. He was very friendly and seemed genuinely interested in making things right. He offered give us a 'complimentary' upgrade to a secluded cottage further down the path - he gave me the room number and circled it on the property map. He asked how soon we would be ready to move and I told him we could do it in half an hour. I called him in half an hour to let him know we were ready to move - He apologized and told me that house keeping hadn't finished with the room and it would be ready after breakfast. We waited for an hour or so and checked in with him to be told it would be the next one cleaned. We decided to walk down and check the cottage out and I was very pleased with the location and started feeling better about the place. We decided that we would drive to the Grand Canyon and check out the new room when we returned.

We returned this evening around 7PM and the woman at the front desk was helping another guest so my husband suggested that I walk down to the cottage and wait on the deck while he got the key. I headed out to the room and thought I was there but accidently walked up to the wrong cottage, I surprised a woman sitting on the deck in her robe, it was most embarrassing! She asked which place I was looking for and I told her, she then stated that there were people in that cottage! I thanked her and started to fume! What kind of outfit are they running here? I walked all the way back to the lodge to try and find my husband, luggage and our room. My husband wasn't there but Ryan at the front told me that he had moved us about an hour and a half ago to cottage #4. I explained that Matt had moved us early this morning to cottage #7. His reply was that #7 had been booked weeks ago. This place has no sense of customer service. I am now in cottage #4, the room has an odor and when we went outside to enjoy the deck the neighbors were out on theirs, smoking cigars!!!!

I will never come back here. I suggest that anyone else that wants to spend a healthy amount on a room/cottage and expect service to match it go elsewhere. I should have paid attention to a review that a gentleman made on trip advisor about a month ago - I would have cancelled my reservation before the cut off date. Unfortunately we are here one more night, on my birthday. What a huge disappointment.

15  Thank flygirl_7
Reviewed April 19, 2010

This hotel was top notch from the moment you arrived. You were met as you exited your car and didn't have to lift a finger from that point on. The hotel staff gave you complete attention and were friendly and helpful. The wine and beer tasting each evening was a nice touch. Personal shuttle service to the main road was a wonderful convenience.
We were upgraded to one of the new spa cottages and found it to be beautiful, comfortable and tasteful with a fabulous outdoor shower and a bed that made you feel as if you were sleeping on a cloud. Don't miss the Sunday brunch served by beautiful Oak Creek! This place was #1

2  Thank jh_ra
Reviewed April 18, 2010

My wife and I have had the great pleasure of staying at some wonderful inns and hotels during our many travels and L'Auberge ranks at the very top. From the moment we arrived until the day we left we were treated like the most important guests staying at the Resort. I had read that the new cabins were wonderful after booking a room in the lodge so I asked our host Ryan if we could upgrade to one of them. It turned out that indeed we could and he made it quite affordable to do so. It had been a rather stressful day but as soon as we checked into number 15 the magic of Sedona swept over us. The suite was perefct with plenty of firewood for the fireplace, complimentary water for the night, a wonderfully comfortable bed with crisp fresh linens and the most serene view of the creek with it's flora and fauna. Althoiugh we need to praise everyone at the resort who always went out of their way to see to our every experience you can't beat Graham's perfect "not to be missed map" of Sedona, and our special friend Ryan "the magic kiwi's" recomendations and thoughtful attention. Be sure to have dinner at the restuarant, it's fine dining of the very best kind. If we had a magic wand it wouldn't have helped. All the magic was already there.

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank waythiswalk
Reviewed April 9, 2010

Stayed at this hotel for a Sedona weekend getaway and it was wonderful! Staff was friendly and greeted us as soon as went in the door. We stayed in one of their cottages which was gorgeous and had all the amenities I would expect from an exceptional resort like this. Especially loved the patio that had a nice lounger chair that I definitely enjoyed with the nice 70 degree weather. Very quiet and very relaxing!

• Stayed: March 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Blaine S
Reviewed April 8, 2010

This hotel/inn is one of the best ever. Staff (esp. Lauren) is extremely well trained. From the moment you arrive until the moment you leave, you are treated like royalty. Bottles of water are in your car waiting for you; b eds turned down nightly; wine and cheese (or beer/soda even hot chocolate) each evening; scones and coffee in the a.m.; smiles wherever you go. The creek is superb! restaurant: great. didn't want to leave!

1  Thank omamaryland