“Best of Sedona”

Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Kennett Square, Pennsylvania, United States
“Best of Sedona”
Reviewed February 22, 2014

Chose L"Auberge on a whim. Decided to call the reservation dept for help in choosing a room. She was very helpful and recommended a hillside cottage. Our arrival was great. The bell/valet service was excellent. Great attitudes and very helpful. Front desk check in was smooth. Room was ready at 11:30 am and front desk was very happy to let us in early. The room was very spacious and had great amenities. The bathroom felt spa like and included an outdoor shower. The bed linens were luxury and the view was great. The creekside seating for breakfast and dinner was excellent. Service in restaurant was ok. Nothing special and a bit slow. Spa was a big disappointment. Since it was a last minute trip, we did not make advance reservations. Unfortunately, there were no real openings during our 3 days. The spa attendant was not helpful in trying to coordinate something that would work. Kind of a "too bad" attitude. In reality, the bell/valet service was the best. Along with front desk. Everything else, so-so. Upon departing we walked by a valet, who asked if we were heading to check out. After telling him yes, we were happy to arrive at the lobby to find the car waiting with 2 bottles of water. A great way to end the trip. Pick this hotel for the location, and the room. Staff needs a bit of a pick up before I can rate it "excellent".

Room Tip: You really can't go wrong. Either a view of the red rocks or of the creek.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank MattFet
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
We're glad your whim brought you to L'Auberge, thank you for staying with us and putting together this review. We're delighted that you were well taken care of by our front office and valet team and that you enjoyed your vista cottage! Thank you for including your notes on the spa treatment availability and coordinator responses. We do have a petite spa with 4 treatment rooms that do book up quickly; however, we will discuss our responses and other options available with our team. We hope you plan to return to Sedona and L'Auberge!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (646)
  • Polish first
Bellaire, Texas
Reviewed February 19, 2014

I think the term "luxury" is an overstatement when describing this property. Check in went smoothly, and frankly, the gentlemen in the valet area were the best and brightest the resort had to offer...from then on we were disappointed. We requested that the sofa bed in our living area be made up for our son. The bellman said he would send someone over. No one came. After checking in, it went downhill from there. My husband and I sat in the bar for a drink and light dinner. We were told at check in that the restaurant was booked for the evening. It wasn't even close to being full. The bartender spent most of his time chatting with another employee...about women who worked at the resort. Lots of cussing and some really sexist comments. The most attention they gave was to the remote so that they could watch the NBA All Star game. The next morning my family left the resort by 9:00 for the day. Before we left we had breakfast in the restaurant. The food was mediocre. No jelly on the table, even though toast was ordered. No pepper in the grinder...I believe that it is the details that separate an average resort experience from a luxury resort experience. It may seem picky, however, details matter. When we returned after 2:00 our cottage had still not been cleaned. Housekeeping showed up at 4:00. Used towels and washcloths were not replaced, bottled water was not left in the refrigerator, coffee cups were not replaced, again...details matter. Another example of less than expected service - I went to the bar to have my refillable water bottle filled with ice. The bartender was no where to be found. A waitress couldn't be bothered even though she was not even 2 feet from the ice machine. There was no one in the bar/restaurant so being busy wasn't an excuse. That night we ordered room service. We ordered 3 glasses of water and an additional carafe of water since there were no waters left in our cottage by housekeeping. When our dinner was delivered, there was no water on the tray. I asked and was told that "they don't have carafes for room service". That may be, but there was no glasses of water either, and we specifically asked. How is it that room service cannot accommodate a request for water? The young man told me to ask the bellmen for water...because they should have it. I must have had a look on my face, because he offered to contact them and have bottled water brought to our room. After awhile a bellman brought 6 water bottles and a huge bucket of ice. No glasses, so I'm not sure what we were supposed to do with all of the ice. All in all...I would not recommend this resort. The fact that gratuities are included in the bill was just another slap in the face. This was an expensive place that did not have the level of service to justify the price tag.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
14 Thank Rachel G
LaubergeDeSedona, General Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
We sincerely apologize for the service you received on your recent stay. As you can see from previous reviews, your stay was not a good representation of our guest service. All of your comments are being addressed at this moment with our staff and management team. Hopefully we will be able to connect soon and our conversation will be satisfying to you and should you plan to visit again soon, please contact me personally. Jesse Alexander, General Manager, 928-204-4313
Prescott, Arizona
Reviewed February 19, 2014

L'Auberge de Sedona is absolutely lovely. Staff was friendly, our cottage was beautiful, views are amazing, walking along Oak Creek was a great way to spend the morning, the restaurant is fabulous, and they are even pet friendly -- our dogs had a great time! So why the low rating? Unfortunately, you must use valet parking at this hotel -- there is no self parking available. The resort charges an additional $25 for this service. When we arrived, the friendly valet service took our car. As our room was not ready, (not a problem) we explored L'Auberge for about 45 minutes, then asked for the car so that my husband could get to his golf game. As we left, I went to plug the golf course address into our portable GPS unit. It was gone. I called the resort from the car, as I thought perhaps they had put it somewhere for safekeeping, but no one knew anything about it. I returned to L'Auberge, did a very thorough search of the car, the luggage, and our room, and it was not there. Not only was I very upset that it was missing, but the reaction from the staff (both hotel and valet) just made matters worse -- they kept insisting that I didn't ever have the unit (we used it to get to the hotel), and then that I had taken it and misplaced it.....I just wish someone had taken some responsibility. I hate to give such a beautiful resort such a low rating, but their staff made me feel as if I was a very stupid criminal, when I had done nothing wrong. It made me uncomfortable and untrusting to continue our stay.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
5 Thank Sue B
Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you and your dogs enjoyed L’Auberge and our beautiful setting. With regards to your missing SATNAV, our offer still stands to further the investigation with a police report, including opening up insurance claims. We do sympathize with you and the loss of your equipment. As we mentioned to you during our discussion prior to your departure, and again on our last phone call, should you change your mind and would be willing to further the investigation, please contact me directly. We would be more than happy to resolve the loss of your property, but can only do so by following the steps mentioned above, and need you to agree in order to do so. I hope to hear from you soon, Jesse Alexander, General Manager, 928-204-4313
Woodbury, Connecticut
Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a romantic birthday for Lori. She wanted something special, so I decided this would be the place and time. I could not have made a better decision. I prearranged for her bday gifts to be there with a few special items thanks to Graham. I asked for the most romantic table and that's what we got. Along with an exquisite meal. Lori received an engagement ring for dessert. Lori and I will cherish our stay for as long as we live. Our cottage was awesome. We will definitely return, probably for an anniversary.

Room Tip: They're not kidding, this is a very romantic location.
  • Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Joel C
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, February 20, 2014
Congratulations to you and Lori! We're honored that you chose L'Auberge as the place to propose and we hope to be apart of your love story with many anniversaries to come!
Tappan, NY
Reviewed February 15, 2014

I had attended a beautiful wedding here in May 2013, this time I came to stay after a southwest road trip, Sedona was to be our relax and recharge spot and we could not have picked a better place! My friend and I had massages at the spa, although it was too cool to have them creekside but probably the best massages we ever had. The service in the hotel and in the restaurant was excellent. We had dinner and a creekside breakfast at the restaurant and the food was excellent both times.
Service was excellent throughout the hotel, they even upgraded our room when we arrived to the Creek house which was absolutely beautiful! We participated in the activities they offered as well such as star-gazing and duck feeding. It was overall a beautiful relaxing getaway and we already talked about returning another time!

• Stayed October 2013, traveled with friends
Thank you for returning to L'Auberge and taking the time to write this review. We're happy to hear that you were able to relax and recharge in Sedona! We hope you plan to return again soon!
Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed February 15, 2014

When it came time to book our yearly winter trip to Arizona, I fully expected to stay at Enchantment again as we had in the past and loved it. However, prior to booking I browsed through Travelzoo looking for any hotels running specials and was shocked to find an amazing deal at L'Auberge. How could we pass this up?!

L'Auberge exceeded all of our expectations and more. The service was beyond incredible, everyone from the front desk to room service to the valet guys. We stayed in a vista cottage which was incredible as it got tons of sunshine despite being winter. I also thought the outdoor shower would be too cold in the winter, but it ended up being my favorite place to clean up! The whirlpool tub had an amazing view of the red rocks, as did the deck where we eat breakfast some mornings.

If we got tired of the views (impossible), we could go down to the creek and sit on the deck under the heaters and watch the ducks. We participated in morning yoga which was complimentary, and enjoyed coffee and scones while reading the paper, also complimentary.

I thought that the fact that L'Auberge was so close to town would mean that it was noisy or not relaxing, but this is completely not true. It didn't even feel close to town and was so quiet we slept with the screen door open every night. Yet you could take a quick walk up a path and end up downtown with access to shops and restaurants.

The spa is small but well-appointed. The outdoor jacuzzi was nice but the salt-water pool, though heated, was a little too cold to enjoy in February.

So if you are trying to decide between L'Auberge and Enchantment, there are strengths to each. L'Auberge feels much more luxurious with nicer rooms and has a location that cannot be beat for access to town. Enchantment has a larger spa with indoor and outdoor pools and despite being more remote, has some trails right out of the resort. It's a toss-up, so look for the best deal. However I certainly plan on coming back for another luxurious stay at L'Auberge!

Room Tip: I liked the Vista Cottage since it was winter. Creekside cottages seemed a few degrees cooler and w...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Kels2003
We're thrilled that you experienced and enjoyed the outdoor shower, it's one of our favorite new additions! Also, thank you for your 'room tip'. We are asked quite a bit about staying in a Creekside cottage verses a Vista cottage and it's great to have guest suggestions. Thank you!
Seattle, Washington
Reviewed February 14, 2014

It was a coincidence that we ended up at this amazing spot, but we hope to be able to come back soon. The location is so serene next to the creek, and yet in the middle of where you want to be. The five star staff welcomed our every request, even with a no tipping policy. Hats off to Graham (the concierge) for his recommendation on the Soldier's Pass (not to be missed) and to Katie for her truly welcoming energy for the daily "vacation" yoga classes. Graham even offered to loan us little chairs and directed us to a great sunset spot (by the airport) for a glass of wine. The outdoor showers were great after a hike, and the restaurant undoubtedly the best in the Sedona area, especially since you are truly creekside. Take my advice, after a great day of hiking, march down to the beach with a book, a glass of wine, and enjoy the ducks, the babbling brook, and the solitude. Thanks L'Auberge.

Room Tip: I wanted the Vista rooms, but glad I think I'm so glad we had the spa rooms. Creekside are spen...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
1 Thank HubinSeattle
Thank you for the great advice….we agree, a glass of wine with a good book and the creek is great after a day of hiking! We're glad that you were well taken care of while you were here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!