“Lovely, but....”

L'Auberge de Sedona
Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Reviewed February 19, 2014

L'Auberge de Sedona is absolutely lovely. Staff was friendly, our cottage was beautiful, views are amazing, walking along Oak Creek was a great way to spend the morning, the restaurant is fabulous, and they are even pet friendly -- our dogs had a great time! So why the low rating? Unfortunately, you must use valet parking at this hotel -- there is no self parking available. The resort charges an additional $25 for this service. When we arrived, the friendly valet service took our car. As our room was not ready, (not a problem) we explored L'Auberge for about 45 minutes, then asked for the car so that my husband could get to his golf game. As we left, I went to plug the golf course address into our portable GPS unit. It was gone. I called the resort from the car, as I thought perhaps they had put it somewhere for safekeeping, but no one knew anything about it. I returned to L'Auberge, did a very thorough search of the car, the luggage, and our room, and it was not there. Not only was I very upset that it was missing, but the reaction from the staff (both hotel and valet) just made matters worse -- they kept insisting that I didn't ever have the unit (we used it to get to the hotel), and then that I had taken it and misplaced it.....I just wish someone had taken some responsibility. I hate to give such a beautiful resort such a low rating, but their staff made me feel as if I was a very stupid criminal, when I had done nothing wrong. It made me uncomfortable and untrusting to continue our stay.

• Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
5  Thank Sue B
LaubergeDeSedona, General Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2014

Thank you for taking the time to write this review, we appreciate your feedback and are delighted that you and your dogs enjoyed L’Auberge and our beautiful setting. With regards to your missing SATNAV, our offer still stands to further the investigation with a police report, including opening up insurance claims. We do sympathize with you and the loss of your equipment. As we mentioned to you during our discussion prior to your departure, and again on our last phone call, should you change your mind and would be willing to further the investigation, please contact me directly. We would be more than happy to resolve the loss of your property, but can only do so by following the steps mentioned above, and need you to agree in order to do so. I hope to hear from you soon, Jesse Alexander, General Manager, 928-204-4313

There are newer reviews for L'Auberge de Sedona

Reviewed February 17, 2014

What a romantic birthday for Lori. She wanted something special, so I decided this would be the place and time. I could not have made a better decision. I prearranged for her bday gifts to be there with a few special items thanks to Graham. I asked for the most romantic table and that's what we got. Along with an exquisite meal. Lori received an engagement ring for dessert. Lori and I will cherish our stay for as long as we live. Our cottage was awesome. We will definitely return, probably for an anniversary.

Room Tip: They're not kidding, this is a very romantic location.
  • Stayed: June 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Joel C
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded February 20, 2014

Congratulations to you and Lori! We're honored that you chose L'Auberge as the place to propose and we hope to be apart of your love story with many anniversaries to come!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

I had attended a beautiful wedding here in May 2013, this time I came to stay after a southwest road trip, Sedona was to be our relax and recharge spot and we could not have picked a better place! My friend and I had massages at the spa, although it was too cool to have them creekside but probably the best massages we ever had. The service in the hotel and in the restaurant was excellent. We had dinner and a creekside breakfast at the restaurant and the food was excellent both times.
Service was excellent throughout the hotel, they even upgraded our room when we arrived to the Creek house which was absolutely beautiful! We participated in the activities they offered as well such as star-gazing and duck feeding. It was overall a beautiful relaxing getaway and we already talked about returning another time!

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled with friends

Thank you for returning to L'Auberge and taking the time to write this review. We're happy to hear that you were able to relax and recharge in Sedona! We hope you plan to return again soon!

Reviewed February 15, 2014

When it came time to book our yearly winter trip to Arizona, I fully expected to stay at Enchantment again as we had in the past and loved it. However, prior to booking I browsed through Travelzoo looking for any hotels running specials and was shocked to find an amazing deal at L'Auberge. How could we pass this up?!

L'Auberge exceeded all of our expectations and more. The service was beyond incredible, everyone from the front desk to room service to the valet guys. We stayed in a vista cottage which was incredible as it got tons of sunshine despite being winter. I also thought the outdoor shower would be too cold in the winter, but it ended up being my favorite place to clean up! The whirlpool tub had an amazing view of the red rocks, as did the deck where we eat breakfast some mornings.

If we got tired of the views (impossible), we could go down to the creek and sit on the deck under the heaters and watch the ducks. We participated in morning yoga which was complimentary, and enjoyed coffee and scones while reading the paper, also complimentary.

I thought that the fact that L'Auberge was so close to town would mean that it was noisy or not relaxing, but this is completely not true. It didn't even feel close to town and was so quiet we slept with the screen door open every night. Yet you could take a quick walk up a path and end up downtown with access to shops and restaurants.

The spa is small but well-appointed. The outdoor jacuzzi was nice but the salt-water pool, though heated, was a little too cold to enjoy in February.

So if you are trying to decide between L'Auberge and Enchantment, there are strengths to each. L'Auberge feels much more luxurious with nicer rooms and has a location that cannot be beat for access to town. Enchantment has a larger spa with indoor and outdoor pools and despite being more remote, has some trails right out of the resort. It's a toss-up, so look for the best deal. However I certainly plan on coming back for another luxurious stay at L'Auberge!

Room Tip: I liked the Vista Cottage since it was winter. Creekside cottages seemed a few degrees cooler and w...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Kels2003

We're thrilled that you experienced and enjoyed the outdoor shower, it's one of our favorite new additions! Also, thank you for your 'room tip'. We are asked quite a bit about staying in a Creekside cottage verses a Vista cottage and it's great to have guest suggestions. Thank you!

Reviewed February 14, 2014

It was a coincidence that we ended up at this amazing spot, but we hope to be able to come back soon. The location is so serene next to the creek, and yet in the middle of where you want to be. The five star staff welcomed our every request, even with a no tipping policy. Hats off to Graham (the concierge) for his recommendation on the Soldier's Pass (not to be missed) and to Katie for her truly welcoming energy for the daily "vacation" yoga classes. Graham even offered to loan us little chairs and directed us to a great sunset spot (by the airport) for a glass of wine. The outdoor showers were great after a hike, and the restaurant undoubtedly the best in the Sedona area, especially since you are truly creekside. Take my advice, after a great day of hiking, march down to the beach with a book, a glass of wine, and enjoy the ducks, the babbling brook, and the solitude. Thanks L'Auberge.

Room Tip: I wanted the Vista rooms, but glad I think I'm so glad we had the spa rooms. Creekside are spen...
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled with family
1  Thank HubinSeattle

Thank you for the great advice….we agree, a glass of wine with a good book and the creek is great after a day of hiking! We're glad that you were well taken care of while you were here. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

My beautiful bride & I decided on L'Auberge after our first visit. If you're looking for a venue that is intimate, warm and with stunning scenery, this is your location. This rustic location, an hour and a half north of Phoenix was far enough off the beaten path to accomplish our desire to exchange our vows in a special location, yet it was still convenient enough for our out of town guests to get to, without any problems. The property is one of the premier resorts in the southwest U.S., based largely on the magnificent scenery, but the location and incredible resort are overshadowed only by the extraordinary staff. From the moment we ( and our guests ) arrived, the service and courtesy of everyone at L'Auberge was impeccable, with no detail left to chance. The manager, Ryan, has assembled an exceptional group of people that go above and beyond to ensure your satisfaction. The restaurant on the property serves an incredible dinner creekside, and the Sunday morning brunch is an absolute must. That our wedding guests enjoyed the cuisine prepared by the same chef / kitchen, was an absolute comfort for us. The property's wedding coordinator, Teagan, was an absolute treasure to work with. Her attention to detail throughout the process was very comforting and reassuring. My wife was thrilled with Teagan's calm demeanor and strict attention to detail. The town, the resort, the creek, the surrounding forest, and the wonderful staff, made for an unforgettable wedding and reception. This was confirmed by many of our guests that spoke so highly of our blessed event the day of, as well as months afterwards. Nicely done L'Auberge!

Room Tip: Creekside cabins are spectacular!
  • Stayed: October 2013, traveled as a couple

Congratulations to you and your new bride! We're honored that you shared your special day with us. Thank you for sharing your experience at L'Auberge…we look forward to seeing you for your anniversary!

Reviewed February 10, 2014

The hotel is in a beautiful spot alongside Oak Creek. We had a Vista Cottage and although the views from our terrace and windows of the red rocks was amazing, the lack of serenity due to the fact we faced the main driveway, was a disappointment. I'd have preferred the Creekside Cottage as I believe this would have been much quieter. The noise of car traffic and delivery trucks (early in the AM some days) were annoying. Funny thing is, I called the day before we arrived and asked specifically which cottage was more serene and was told their were plenty of both available and that before checking in, we could look at both and decide. When we checked in the following day all Creekside Cottages were gone and ended up where we did. Not a terrible spot however...
The spa and restaurant were great and the staff was very accommodating.

Room Tip: Go creekside....
  • Stayed: January 2014, traveled as a couple
LaubergeDeSedona, General Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this reviewResponded February 12, 2014

Thank you for your review. W'e're glad that you enjoyed both the spa and restaurant and that you were well taken care of by our staff. Thank you for your note about the room placement. We do our best to accommodate all guest room requests and apologize that the creekside cottages were unavailable when you checked in. Please feel free to contact us directly if you would like to discuss this further. Jesse Alexander 928-204-4313