“Great property!”

Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Lake Villa, Illinois
“Great property!”
Reviewed August 28, 2013

The location, while being centrally located, is still hidden away and feels private. They are nestled next to a beautiful creek and the grounds are well landscaped and manicured.

Everything was very well done with great attention to detail. They even noted an off-handed remark I made about it being a milestone birthday for my husband! We chose to stay in a room in the lodge, but the cabins looked appealing.

The only flaw in an otherwise great stay was that I had a seemingly inexperienced masseure for my spa treatment but my husbands experience was good.

I will certainly stay here again if ever in Sedona!

1 Thank m3sulliv
MeghanRudolph, Manager at L'Auberge de Sedona, responded to this review, August 29, 2013
Thank you for taking the time to write this review. We're delighted to hear that you and your husband enjoyed your stay with us. We hope you plan to return and enjoy a cottage next time!

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (634)
  • Polish first
Dallas, Texas
Reviewed August 28, 2013

Note: A day after I wrote the review below, I had an impromptu meeting with the general manager of the facility. He made a genuine effort to listen to and note our concerns and extended a kind offer of conciliation for all of the troubles we encountered at L’Auberge. That is appreciated, yet it is still important people be aware of the problems we encountered:

My review: This veteran traveler does not share the enthusiasm expressed here by others for L'Auberge. It certainly isn't a terrible place, but it was quite a disappointment to us.

Where do I begin? We arrived at 1:30 pm knowing official check-in would be at 3 pm but hoping to get in a little early. No dice. Housekeeping was not even sent to our lodge to clean it until we arrived (we know that because we saw them go there as we walked to take a look at it).

But here is the best part -- we waited 1.5 hours to get into our room due to its 'inspection'. They called us to come get our keys. We went to the front desk and couldn’t find them. Had to make new ones. Oh dear.

Then we walked into our inspected lodge, turned on the lights, only to immediately discover one light over the bathroom sinks was burnt out. Inspection. Hmm. To their credit, maintenance replaced the bulb about 20 minutes after we called about it. But still...

Then there was the lovely view off our patio -- a view of a housekeeping shed with stacks of dirty room service platters and champagne bottles piled outside it. After it stayed there for an hour I called the front desk to ask it be removed. Which they did. 45 minutes later. And then guess what? On our second day, a similar stack of trash and used plates showed up at the exact same location. Maybe 20 yards from our patio. The patio was useless to us (the patios are not at all covered by the way so any rain renders them useless for some time).

The fact this housekeeping shed sits right in the middle of several $300-a-night-plus lodges also means you have constant housekeeping traffic as your view almost all day long. Carrying towels. Carrying huge bags of trash over their shoulder. And talking on their squawking walkie talkies. Not what I expect at true top-tier resorts.

Inside the lodges (which are really pre-fab trailer-like units cleverly accented with shake roofs and wooden porches to appear 'rustic') the design is stylish. And flawed. No closet whatsoever. An armoire with two tiny drawers is expected to serve 2 people on a week-long vacation in Arizona. The armoire is so small, the ironing board has to be placed outside of it. You read that right. You are paying $300-400 a night for a room with an ironing board propped up against the bedroom wall.

The desk is not really a desk. Again no drawers. Just a narrow wall 'unit' with a mini-fridge built into it. You sit on a high bar-stool style chair. I am a 5' 10" man and my feet dangled off the front. One of the most uncomfortable efforts at a desk I have ever experienced, and I travel worldwide.

There are free scones and muffins and coffee offered in the morning. Nice touch...EXCEPT... in the entire 30 minutes we were there, the butter and jam ramekins were empty. No one offered to clean off our used table -- we finally had to go get napkins and do it ourselves.

As you can tell, I am VERY unhappy with what was supposed to be a dream getaway. Read my other reviews and you will see I am quick to praise places that deliver. For us, L'Auberge not only did not do that...it missed the boat by a mile.

The landscaping is lovely. And the rooms are very stylish. But I have had much, much more sophisticated experiences at other resorts worldwide that cost much less.

One last important point -- if you come to L'Auberge for a Sedona/Red Rocks/Arizona experience, you will be very disappointed. You cannot see any rocks whatsoever from most of the lodges. Instead, the resort is oriented toward the creek. So it feel much more like a West Virginia/Idaho/Tennessee sort of resort. It can be lovely in that regard -- low hanging tree branches, a babbling creek with ducks, long shorelines of grass.

But neither that, nor the incessant view of trash off my patio, is what I was wanting in SEDONA.

8 Thank Jeff H
Sedona, Arizona
Reviewed August 27, 2013

From the moment we pulled in, the experience was first class. Chas, our bellman, was so informative & helpful. The accommodations are beautiful & the creek side setting is lush & peaceful. Dinner on the creek was just delightful....and delicious! Our waiter, Michael, was very attentive & pleasant. The checkout experience was just as great. The bellman, Kaison, was quick to respond & he had our Lexus waiting for us with AC running & cold water bottles in the vehicle. We'd go here again anytime to celebrate! The property is beautiful & magical.

Room Tip: The creek side cottages are definitely worth the extra money!
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We appreciate you writing the review and including the names of those that took care of you. We will be happy to let them know that they assisted in a great experience. Glad you were able to enjoy dinner on the creek...it's an amazing setting that we love showing off!
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed August 26, 2013

I decided to take my wife and our four legged children to Sedona for my wifes pre-birthday celebration! Little did I know it would be one of the best weekends we could have had! It started with the moment we got there as we were warm welcomed by valet, taken directly to a personal attendant and immediately shown (and escorted) to our room. I requested the closest cottage on the creek and was accommodated. Nothing better than walking into your room and having chocolate covered strawberries and champagne waiting for you and to set the entire welcome off there were two name plated doggie treat bags waiting for our kids. both of which I did not ask for. Don't get me wrong the creekside cottage was not cheap $$$$ and i'm sure I paid for these services, but none the less did not expect the overall perfect welcoming. The cottages have comfortable beds, very nice amenities and an awesome outdoor shower! The property grounds are beautiful and very well maintained! You also must have dinner on the creek! The menu is a 3 or 4 course meal with nice options! we started with the crab crepe, and than my wife had a blackberry and beet salad and I had pretty much the best soup (corn/lobster bisque) ever. next my wife had the hand made tortellini and I had the filet again both were top notch! we had a bottle of Paradigm and our server was all over the wine service! We finished with a chocolate lava cake! Overall great meal with great service! My only complaint and it had nothing to do with the services as the therapists were great but the spa is small and what I mean by small is it's a tight setting if they are busy. The lodge rooms have great views of the beautiful red rocks and are less expensive. We will go back and soon!

• Stayed August 2013, traveled with family
Happy to hear that you and your 4 legged children enjoyed your L'Auberge stay! Thank you for writing the review and posting the great photos...your dinner looks and sounds delicious! Our spa is petite, for your next trip we'd like to suggest a creekside massage or even in-room as an option. We hope to see you again soon!
New York City, New York
Reviewed August 26, 2013

My husband and I recently stayed at L'Auberge de Sedona and had a fantastic experience. We stayed in a vista cottage which had a large poach area that provided a beautiful view of the red rocks. Our cottage room was elegant, spacious and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom area was very spacious and had a jacuzzi tube as well as an outdoor shower.
The resort offered many amenities such as a spa, pool, early morning yoga and specialty events such as star gazing at night and a photography session in the AM.
The staff was very accommodating professional and helpful in planning out our activities.
Overall L'Auberge offered an exceptional experience on many levels and we would definitely return if ever in Sedona again.

• Stayed June 2013, traveled as a couple
Thank you for staying with us this summer and for writing about your time here. We're thrilled to hear that you enjoyed all parts of your stay including the daily activites. Our service standards are very important to us and we're happy that they offered you an exceptional experience.
Chandler, Arizona
Reviewed August 25, 2013

Just celebrated our 37th wedding anniversary weekend at L'Auberge. Have heard about it for years, but this was our first stay. Won't be our last. Staff was friendly and professional, and very attentive. The food was creative & delicious. Mussels at the bar were outstanding, dinner by the creek memorable, and the Sunday brunch worth every penny. Appreciated the "no tipping" (with exception of restaurant and bar) policy. Cottage was beautiful, comfortable and quiet. Looking forward to another visit someday soon.

• Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
Congratulations on 37 years, we hope you plan to come back and celebrate with us again! We're happy that you enjoyed your meals and stay with us...thank you for taking the time to write this review.
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed August 25, 2013

As a native Arizonan staying at L'Auberge was on my bucket list of places to visit. We stayed here for a weekend in August 2013 for 2 nights in a lodge room and I was not disappointed. The staff is well trained in delivering the utmost in customer service; the grounds are impeccably manicured; the property is a creekside tranquil retreat; and the room was clean and well appointed with attention to detail. I can't wait to go back when it's not raining and dream of renting a creekside cottage for a sister's retreat!

Room Tip: I don't think you could go wrong depending on your budget with either a lodge room or a cottage.
  • Stayed August 2013, traveled as a couple
We're honored to have been on your bucket list and happy that you have stayed with us! Sounds like a CreekSide cottage will be added to your bucket list soon... April, May, October, November are great times to come and visit with very little chance of rain (knock on wood!). We hope to see you again soon!