“Disappointing”

Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Minneapolis, MN
“Disappointing”
Reviewed November 9, 2012

I was so excited to stay here for my birthday (I sadly write this review on the eve of my bday). But, I am completely underwhelmed, disappointed and feel silly for staying here because I feel that I got cheated. Perhaps we are staying in the wrong room (we are in the lodge) but our room at the Doubletree in Scottsdale was just as nice (maybe nicer) and much more reasonable. We actually had to switch rooms once at this resort because the chemical smell in on room was so terrible and the noise from above rooms and the sides was worse than my efficiency college apartment. I could hear my neighbors sneezing!! Not acceptable for a resort of this rating, in my opinion. Quite frankly, I frequently stay at 5 star resorts, and I would not, based on the room I am in, classify this as a 5 star resort. I would never pay more than $150 for a room in the lodge area, and don't intend to stay here for my full reservation period. I have heard the cottages are much nicer, so if you stay here, try that as you will likely be disappointed with the lodge rooms. Staff is pretty good, although not out of their way helpful like I would expect at a resort of this alleged caliber.

Room Tip: DO NOT STAY IN THE LODGE. Try a cottage. The lodge is not worth your money.
3 Thank cjc04

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (645)
  • Polish first
Miami, Florida
Reviewed November 8, 2012

My wife and I just returned from our wedding at L'Auberge last week and can honestly say the folks there were fabulous from start to finish! Every detail was carefully arranged and they accommodated our every need. The entire staff was extremely courteous and welcoming and our wedding planner, Teagan, was a real gem.

While our wedding was quite small by normal standards, this in no way affected the level of service provided. It is evident that the staff at L'Auberge will go to any lengths to please their guests. The night of our ceremony we returned to our suite to find rose petals covering the floor and bed along with a bottle of wine and chocolate covered strawberries. Delightful!!!

Aside from the amazing staff, the property is absolutely beautiful with stunning views of the red rocks surrounding Sedona and even a peaceful creek with a vast array of gorgeous ducks. This place seemingly has it all.

My wife and I cannot wait to return and will most likely do so for our one year anniversary.

Thanks for a memorable experience L'Auberge!!!

Room Tip: The vista suites are absolutely worth it!
edmonds
Reviewed November 7, 2012

L'Auberge's setting on Oak Creek is truly most enjoyed when eating on the patio at the restaurant. Very few rooms take in the best asset of this resort. The single cottages look a bit funky and not at all sophisticated however the inside was quite nice. My main complaints are the following: There's a "stiffness" in a number of employees and just a lack of sincerity...hard to put my finger on it but just a bit out of touch. The pillows are plentiful but the two that are on the bed to actually sleep on are stuffed to the point of seams bursting and very hard. The property is not conducive to taking in the amazing red rocks or sunsets. The dinner is not available for ala carte but rather 3 and 4 course only. We ate there two nights and the first server was very out of touch, and the second night our server (Marlo I believe) was fantastic. She was the most "comfortable and real" employee we encountered. She made the dinner perfect by timing our courses perfectly unlike the gal the night before. The good things are the location is perfect...the setting is peaceful...the valet is convenient and they do a really good job. The outdoor shower is just special. The restaurant is one of the most incredible restaurant settings ever.

Room Tip: The spa rooms are not at the bottom of pricing but one step above with lovely bathrooms and outdoor...
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed November 6, 2012

My daughter and new son-in-law chose to stay at this resort for their honeymoon. I wanted to send champagne and strawberries up to their room - ordered and paid for it through the concierge and they never arrived! I was so disappointed and broken hearted and the "manager gave no condolences, just matter of fact that the charges would be reversed on my credit card. Very disappointed!!

• Stayed October 2012, traveled as a couple
7 Thank Diane B
San Rafael
Reviewed November 4, 2012

Absolutely fantastic getaway in the heart of Sedona. Perfect weekend getaway.
Walking distance to uptown and a very short drive to all the major hiking areas.
The restaurant is is fantastic - sit along the creek. Sedona is gorgeous.

Carlisle, Pennsylvania
Reviewed October 31, 2012

Fabulous, fabulous hotel. We had the Vista Suite (#91) with a private deck looking right at the Red Rock. Fantastic views, fantastic staff and I highly recommend the Himalayan Salt Scrub with Tanya. So great that I destressed from the worry about making it back East due to the storm. Can't say enough about this place, just awesone.

Room Tip: In the reviews I have read some people prefer the soothing sounds of the stream by the Cottages. Th...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Maril K
San Diego, California
Reviewed October 29, 2012

This property is so serene and scenic. Its location right on Oak Creek and just below the village is perfect. Staff was sincerely friendly, especially the valet guys who happily take you to your room in a golf cart or to the village in an SUV (no tips accepted). We stayed in a view suite but will try one of the cabins by the creek next time. The furnishings are modern, hardwood floors, large enough bedroom and living room. Our suite had a large, uncovered veranda that was perfect for relaxing and enjoying the view. There is also a staircase that leads up from the property directly into the village (it leads to the Orchard Country Inn, right behind Taos Cantina, and an easy walk to several restaurants and shops). Although the guests were mostly older couples, our two young children enjoyed the property immensely, especially the morning duck feeding, the scones and hot chocolate placed in the lobby each morning, eating creekside from where they could continue to watch the ducks, and the pool. There are no movies on demand on the television and no desk in the suite but we understood that to be part of the appeal of getting away from it all.
Breakfast and dinner at the restaurant were delicious but served in a very leisurely (read: long wait) manner -- great to enjoy the ambience but not so great with hungry kids. The cabins are not connected and quite private which was also great with kids who make noise. The suite had an outdoor shower that was wonderful during the sunny October weather.
A few critiques: the king-size bed was quite soft, and both my husband and I experienced back discomfort. Also, the fitness center was too basic - 3 treadmills, one elliptical, free weights, bosus, and mats.

Room Tip: If choosing a view suite and planning to walk the property (as opposed to always having a golf cart...
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled with family