“We would go back”

Ranked #7 of 48 Hotels in Sedona
Rio Verde, Arizona
“We would go back”
Reviewed September 1, 2011

The hotel was very nice and a great setting. Value priced for the summer. However with such a wonderful setting for dining we wondered why the menu was so narrow and indeed so expensive. One beef selection, filet mignon and mine was ordered medium and delivered very well done..that was a dissapointment only overcome by the flowing creek beside us.
Rene's was our choice for the second night and it was first class without excessive pricing and the menu selection was broader than the hotel's .
We would go back but doubt that we would eat there...the Valet service staff were exceptional.

1 Thank Maizelle015

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (643)
  • Polish first
Las Vegas,Nv.
Reviewed September 1, 2011

I just got back from my Vista Cottage stay at L' Auberge. Fantastic in every way. I intend to write a complete review of my four day trip..............but first; I can't let a reviewer spoil the fun. Someone complained a tree fell near them and ruined their trip. They went on and on about nobody caring or showing concern; trees should have been better managed,etc. Pleeaassee!!!! The grounds are perfectly managed. Guest then complained about prices. Air conditioner was too loud ( I always consider it as white noise that helps sleep). Bottom line. Sounds to me as though this guest was looking to find a way to get something free, which they did. Management reduced her bill; I would not have done it. Even then, she still complained. Business people do not usually help someone if ultimately they are still going to be dissatisfied. What's the point? L' Auberge is as good as it gets. Drama queens stay home! Gary Fox, Las Vegas, Nv.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled with family
8 Thank WiseFox
Minneapolis
Reviewed August 31, 2011

We spend 5 days at the Auberge. We took a Vista Suite and stayed in "cabin" # 98. From there, there is an amazing view on the Red Rocks. You can seat on the large terrace and admire the view. The Suite has a large living room an equally large bedroom and a large bathroom with bathub- jacuzzi, a big shower and, my favorite part... a second shower outside!
The service is excellent. You pay a fixed amount per day for services and do not pay additional tips.
As soon as you arrive (by car), the valet parks your car . The are very very fast at getting your car whenever you need it. They use golf cars to move around the properly which alleviates noise and pollution.
There is small exercise room with 2 treadmills, 1 elliptical trainer and some free weights; small but new equipment.
We did not eat at the restaurant (which seems overpriced) but the setting by the creek is beautiful. There are restaurants and coffee shops nearby within walking distance. I highly recommend that you bring a flash light because the property is very dark at night due to the city restrictions.

Room Tip: # 98 is the last cabin and is high up so you have a great view.
United Kingdom
Reviewed August 28, 2011

I was so looking forward to staying at L'Auberge having read the wonderful reviews on TripAdviser. For me it was a big disappointment. I was unfortunate because within an hour of arriving I was sitting under the trees enjoying the picturesque view of the creek when there was this almighty crack and a huge branch - maybe 30 feet in length - fell from a tree to my left and landed about 6 feet from where I was sitting. I was very, very lucky not to have been injured. If anyone had been sitting in the seats around me there would have been a nasty accident. This is the general sitting area where they encourage guests to come and watch the ducks being fed in the morning - potentially lethal if the branch had fallen then.

No one can foresee an accident - but the way the hotel handled it afterwards was disappointing. Two waiters came over and asked if I was OK - I wasn't hurt but very shocked and shaken. I heard one waiter say -'well, it's the wild - trees fall'. And that was the limit of their concern. No one even bothered to offer me as much as a glass of water or asked if I would like anything or escort me back to my room. Now, not only was I shocked but I was also angry and upset by what appeared to be their total lack of care and concern. I spoke to the receptionist saying how disappointed I was in the unprofessional manner of their response. Over an hour later I had a call in my room from Ryan telling me he had heard what had happened and asked if I was OK.

I tried not to let the incident affect the rest of my stay. I had come to Sedona for a few days rest and relaxation. I had enjoyed 3 great days at the lovely Canyon Villa Inn and was hoping for an equally good time at L'Auberge. It was not to be.

My room, a junior suite, was in the main part of the Inn. It was spacious, comfortable with windows on two sides and a small balcony. All lovely except for the air conditioning which was so loud it felt like a train was in the room. It was impossible to sleep with this noise pounding away. The engineer came and said there was no adjustment he could make. There was no other room available I could be moved to. They gave me a fan to try instead. Not as noisy but not very effective either. I did not enjoy my sleep - too hot without the AC on and no sleep with it on! Don't stay in room 549.

The location of L'Auberge is delightful - gorgeous to sit in the restaurant or bar and enjoy the views of the creek and the ducks. The garden pathways are beautifully maintained. I would suggest if they want guests to enjoy sitting under the trees around the creek there should be tree management /husbandry to keep an eye of the condition of the trees.

Food is good but expensive. For example, If you are not on a breakfast package you will pay $18 dollars for a cooked breakfast - 2 eggs, bacon or sausage, potatoes and toast plus $4 for coffee and $4 for juice, plus tax, plus $6 delivery if you have room service. A glass of wine is $14+ and fillet steak $46. There is complimentary coffee and scones early in the morning and bottled water is complimentary - nice touches. Other pluses are the daily yoga class, guest speakers, night time star gazing - all complimentary.

The pool area is mediocre. It is fenced off. Once through the gate you face a brown concrete wall on one side and a fence on the other. There are a few tables/chairs, loungers and umbrellas. The pool is 3ft to 4ft in depth. Not really a swimming pool. There is no pool drinks/food service which is a shame. I can't comment on the Spa or the Fitness Room because I didn't go.

My overall opinion is that the location is lovely - very pretty and romantic. However take that beautiful location away and what is left - nothing to write home about. The service overall is good and the staff are all polite. I requested a refund of one night's stay and this was agreed.

Room Tip: Don't have junior suite 549 - AC very loud
  • Stayed August 2011, traveled solo
2 Thank Maxine N
Saint Louis, Missouri
Reviewed August 24, 2011

While this place is not perfect, they ultimately do everything possible to make your stay a positive experience. We planned a getaway to Sedona and decided to take advantage of a relatively inexpensive (for this type of resort) rate that was offered on an internet travel website. Unbeknownst to us, the discounted rooms were located in a portion of the resort that had not been recently updated and we found ourselves on the 2nd floor of a 2 story lodge that had no elevator. I have bad joints and this was problematic for me. They had no comparable rooms available that suited my needs, so I made the best of it, but hotel management bent over backwards to make it up to us. We were also quite impressed with the element of service offered to all guests. They valet park, drive guests to and from locales in town, provide free bottled water throughout your stay, and hand deliver ice to your room upon request...all this for free...NO TIPS ARE ACCEPTED! The creek side dining is a true luxury and the grounds are impeccable. My only regret is that we didn't get to experience all this fine resort has to offer because we went with a "bargain" room. Do yourself a favor and stay in one of their new cabins or one of their better suites in an area of the resort that has been recently refurbished. To be fully appreciated, this resort needs to be a place you select to "treat" yourself...if you want to save money, stay somewhere else!!!!!

Room Tip: Try to stay in one of the creek side cabins...we wish we had!!!!
2 Thank Robbie8452
Charlottesville, Virginia, USA
Reviewed August 24, 2011

We stayed in the Creek House four nights and it was great. Ryan and the rest of the valet team were very friendly and professional, and we appreciated their rides to spots up the hill when we were too tired and hot to walk. Our room was nice and the bed felt wonderful. We enjoyed our balcony overlooking the creek in the mornings. My only complaint about the bathroom was it could use another towel rack, perhaps closer to the shower. We had wet bathing suits and had to simply drape them over the glass wall of the shower.

We didn't eat in the restaurant proper, but we ate off of the restaurant's menu outside in what was technically the bar's domain. Our waiter was friendly and helpful. I do wish the bar itself would stay open a little later. We showed up just after ten on Thursday night hoping to enjoy a drink outside, but even though there were several people still around they had already stopped serving. Sedona sure closes down early.

One last thing: we had some excitement one evening when a little pack of javelinas came through the resort. It was fun to see them, but I was also grateful to the valet guys for running them off!

Toronto, Canada
Reviewed August 23, 2011

I have posted quite a few photos of the grounds and pool area. The L'Auberge site is a little light on pictures. And if, like me, you are having a hard time envisioning how the property is laid out I hope they're helpful. The various cottages are spread out in three meandering rows that follow the creek. The creekside cottages have the most privacy. The spa cottages, as you can see from one of the photos taken from the sundeck, probably have the least privacy in terms of being on the main foot path, and proximity to the lodge and neighbouring Amara. the vista cottages seem very cut off from the main property - see the pool photos and you'll understand.

We stayed August 1st through 5th and every interaction - but particularly from the valet staff at the entrance - was genuinely friendly and helpful. From tips on hiking trails and sunset drives, to loading us up with bottles of chilled water before we headed out the staff went above and beyond our expectations. Three guys helped my husband figure out how to take the roof off our Jeep rental (and more importantly, helped to put it back on four days later!). We took advantage of the hotel's free shuttle service to the shopping area and Tlaquepaque. Loved that we never had to wait - not even a minute - to get a ride or for someone to grab our car.

The grounds are exceptionally well taken of. Everything is neat as a pin and manicured. The pool area, which opened a few days before our arrival, has very nice resin wicker loungers, chairs and umbrella tables. Pool towels are plentiful. The water, however, was rather chilly. Not sure if that is intentional, but a few degrees warmer would have been nice.

We stayed in Spa Cottage 70, which is the last cottage on the property and is directly across from the lodge and also borders Amara, whose low-rise building overlooks this portion of L'Auberge's property. It's only an issue if you're on the sun deck patio and want complete privacy. The cottages closer to the creek offer the most privacy. The L'Auberge property cascades down the hillside so the lower portion (spa, garden, creek cottages, main building, pool area) are overlooked by two other hotels and a row of vista cottages. I found it somewhat unnerving, but I presume the people on balconies were admiring the red rock views and not me sunbathing.

The cottage was really spacious and well-appointed. Our cottage did not have a covered sun deck, so we called for an umbrella and sun lounger, and they were delivered pronto. One note to L'Auberge: more drawer space please. The wardrobe unit had two tiny drawers suitable for lingerie but not much else.

For those curious about the outdoor shower, it's connected to the main bathroom via a glass door. It's a large cedar enclosure. Comes with its own toiletries and a great showerhead. From what I can see, every cottage comes with an outdoor shower (the extra tall dark planking on the sides of the cottages) but their site doesn't list it as a feature on every cottage.

Oh, and one other comment: the bar patio is a really nice spot to enjoy a drink and a snack. We hunkered down in a torrential hail and rain storm. But beware the prices: $15 for a California Cabernet and $22 for a very small charcuterie platter that was nothing special. Go in knowing you're paying for the quietude and pretty view.

5 Thank nicolefromtoronto