“great thai food slow service”

Ranked #65 of 200 Restaurants in Sedona
Cuisines: Thai
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Reservations, Takeout
Description: Fresh, mouth-watering, natural Thai cuisine prepared by master chef Pearl Pardee and her staff. Modest prices in a casual atmosphere serving beer, wine and drinks at our full service bar. Thai Spices is known for its outstanding Thai Cuisine which has been the recipient of numerous awards and acknowledgements over the years, including The Greater Sedona/VOC Area Award for Best Thai Restaurant for 11 years running.
Reviewed February 24, 2014

I have mixed feelings about Thai Spices...the food was good. I had pad thai (my favorite dish) and tom yum soup. The dining room was packed and we had to wait a few minutes for a table, agreeing to take a table in the bar to get seated. Apparently the bar tender has to wait the tables in the bar area and even though he did his best, there was just too much for him to do behind the bar to really give those eating good table service. The table we were sat at was also a cheesy bistro style metal table that was very uncomfortable to sit at let alone eat at. The food was descent but not really that exciting and it was hard getting water refills or any kind of attention once our food was delivered. They also brought our meals separately so that I had all my food half eaten before they finally brought my husband his soup (can't remember which one he ordered) and he wasn't that thrilled with it anyways. The prices were in line with other thai restaurants and we were happy to have descent food.

Reviewed February 21, 2014

Absolutely love Thai food and this restaurant was located a short walk from my hotel, so I was very excited to try it out. The mixed reviews on tripadvisor seem to be consistent with what I experienced. First of all, I had the Tom Kah soup with vegetables and it was outstanding. For an entree I chose the Tofu Pad Thai and was a bit disappointed. It was ok, but seemed to lack in flavor and was far from the best Pad Thai I've had. The service was very slow. Having owned/operated a restaurant, I'm not one to complain about service (unless it's absolutely warranted) because typically there is a very good reason for the issue in service. The server was very nice and gracious, but she was completely overwhelmed between her serving duties and trying to make drinks. In fact, for a while she asked a customer at the bar, who I presumed was a local/regular, to bartend because she simply couldn't keep up. It took quite a while to get and pay the tab and the server didn't check on me once during my meal. Again, not complaining as I didn't need anything and I was in no hurry whatsoever; but feel it should be mentioned in this review. So not a great experience on my first visit, but I would certainly go again and try a different entree.

pearlpardee, Owner at Thai Spices Natural Restaurant, responded to this reviewResponded April 17, 2014

Hello and thank you for sharing your review about my restaurant.

We are in that restaurant just until our new restaurant is built, so it's not totally ideal for us and we are doing the best we can. I'm sorry your experience was less than perfect!

I am happy that you enjoyed our famous Tom Kah soup, and I realize my food may seem different than traditional Thai food, and that is due to the fact that I do not use any unhealthy flavorings that many other Thai restaurants use.

I use mostly organic and always natural flavorings like coconut palm sugar instead of regular sugar, we also use a nice blend of herbs and fruits for our famous pad thai and always fresh ingredients in our tom kah soups and curries.

I trained and cooked for the Thai royal family for many years and after extensive training in macrobiotic cooking I learned the value of nutrition in food and the importance of natural cooking, which is why I blend my Thai cooking with this technique.

I would like to offer you to come visit us again and ask for me and I would be happy to talk to you more about our healthy Thai food in detail.

We will do our best to give you the best service and Thai food possible.

Pearl Pardee
Owner

Reviewed February 20, 2014

I have been going to Thai Spices for many years, have left just 1 review several years ago, they moved into a new location which I like and has a full bar now. I have gotten to try new dishes and have by favorites, like the #36 cashew vegeatables, which I found out is made with a secret cilantro stem sauce, we order it every time now.

The food just feels healthy each time we eat. We love the fresh rolls, green curry, red curry, love the option for brown rice, and really like following them on Facebook, they provide lots of useful and important information on healthy food and current news plus coupons, specials, and all of that. We are faithful customers forever...

Here are a couple of pictures we took while we were there.

Reviewed February 6, 2014

The interior of the restaurant is nothing to write home about, kind of diner quality chairs and tables. The food was okay. Nothing was spicy and my food had very little taste actually. My daughter had pad thai which she enjoyed. Reasonable pricing though.

Hi Maria,

Hello and thank you for your review about my restaurant. I'm sorry your experience was less than perfect!

I am happy your daughter enjoyed the pad thai, its a favorite amongst kids. I realize my food may seem different than traditional Thai food, and that is due to the fact that I do not use any unhealthy flavorings that many other Thai restaurants use.

I hope you come and see us again, we will do our best to offer you perfect service and excellent tasting food.

Pearl Pardee
Owner

Reviewed January 31, 2014

My Husband and I went here on 1/30/14 I have eaten Thai food before but my husband has not. I had a new item on the menu called Energy & Vitality W / Shrimp it was very delicious it had Ginger, Cilantro, Broccoli, Carrots, & Onions sauce was very tasty. My husband had the Curry Pineapple w/Shrimp I had to try this and I have to say this was very good I love food that has a Kick and this has it. It also had Broccoli & Carrots, Onion and of coarse Pineapple. We would dine here again. It also has a full Bar.