“Awesome hike and the view is worth the effort”

Devil's Bridge Trail
Ranked #6 of 157 things to do in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: An easy hiking trail that leads hikers into Sedona's famed Red Rock country.
Reviewed June 19, 2013

We drove to the trail head (thankfully we had rented a 4x4), so that cut about 2 miles off the hike. I highly recommend doing this if you can. The hike itself was scenic and not too hard. Both of my parents, in their late 50s and in relatively good shape, made it without any problem. Make sure to stop along the way and enjoy the vistas. Also be sure to go see the view from beneath the bridge after you finish at the top.

5  Thank Adam O

Reviewed June 11, 2013

I've seen the trail guides listing this as a moderate hike. That is a relative term. If you only use 3 ratings (easy, moderate, hard) then moderate is appropriate. But... it is pretty easy on the jeep road, and the first half of the trail itself. The second half was more challenging, but the trail is so well made, the rocks on the steeps parts are set up like stairs, so there was no awkward scrambling. It took us about 2.5 hours total round trip from the paved parking lot, which included time for picture taking and a geocaching hunt along the way. I am a timid hiker, so I was especially proud to have made it up and walked out onto the bridge, which I was not sure I was going to do until I got there. Bring LOTS of water. Its so dry here, even if you don't think you are thirsty, you need to be drinking water. You need a Red Rocks parking pass to park (anywhere in the national park, actually). So while this particular attraction does not charge a fee, the whole park does. Its just $5 per day, or $15 for 7 consecutive days. Most national parks do something like that. Its worth it. There is a latrine at the parking area. Don't try to take your car on the jeep road unless it has REALLY good clearance 4 wheel drive like a jeep, trust me. If you have a jeep like thing though, you can drive up to the trail head, then your hike will only be about 1 hour round trip.

4  Thank Cindy351
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We took the scenic way in - not the road - and that was a definite warm up to the actual trail. Make sure you wear good hiking or walking shoes. No flip-flops - crazy people. The "bridge" is amazing and I didn't have the courage to go out on it. Beautiful!

4  Thank Rose W
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We chose the Devil's Bridge as our next adventure. The trail description noted that it was a moderate hike of only 0.8 miles one way, but that the trailhead was on an unpaved road not recommended for the faint-hearted. Our trusty Quest should be up for the challenge, we thought, until we came to the unpaved turnoff and found it blocked by boulders. A posted trail map showed that there was an alternate route which required a 2 mile hike to reach the Devil's bridge trailhead, resulting in a 5.6 mile round trip. Flush from our recent conquest of Bell Rock, we forged ahead. The 2 mile trail wasn't too bad, mostly in the woods with only a moderate amount of uphill. The winds were weaker and hotter than earlier in the morning. We drank a lot of water. Once we got to the Devil's Bridge trail, however things got seriously vertical. Marie and I were really sucking wind towards the end, particularly on the series of steep stone steps cut into the mountain. The effort was well worth it, as the natural stone arch was amazing, perched 400 ft above the side of a very steep bluff. We spent a good 45 minutes admiring the arch, taking pictures and recovering our strength. I was very nervous whenever any of the girls walked on the arch to pose for photos. It was only 6 feet wide at the apex. One young man arrived and asked us to take a picture of him doing a hand-stand on the arch...I couldn't watch. The trip back was pretty much all downhill and fairly easy. Nonetheless, I was exhausted when we returned to the car.

3  Thank plheureux
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We did this hike a few years ago and it remains a wonderful memory, tucked away far from paved roads