“Devil's Bridge Trail”

Devil's Bridge Trail
Ranked #5 of 157 things to do in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: An easy hiking trail that leads hikers into Sedona's famed Red Rock country.
Reviewed June 11, 2013

We took the scenic way in - not the road - and that was a definite warm up to the actual trail. Make sure you wear good hiking or walking shoes. No flip-flops - crazy people. The "bridge" is amazing and I didn't have the courage to go out on it. Beautiful!

4  Thank Rose W

Reviewed June 11, 2013

We chose the Devil's Bridge as our next adventure. The trail description noted that it was a moderate hike of only 0.8 miles one way, but that the trailhead was on an unpaved road not recommended for the faint-hearted. Our trusty Quest should be up for the challenge, we thought, until we came to the unpaved turnoff and found it blocked by boulders. A posted trail map showed that there was an alternate route which required a 2 mile hike to reach the Devil's bridge trailhead, resulting in a 5.6 mile round trip. Flush from our recent conquest of Bell Rock, we forged ahead. The 2 mile trail wasn't too bad, mostly in the woods with only a moderate amount of uphill. The winds were weaker and hotter than earlier in the morning. We drank a lot of water. Once we got to the Devil's Bridge trail, however things got seriously vertical. Marie and I were really sucking wind towards the end, particularly on the series of steep stone steps cut into the mountain. The effort was well worth it, as the natural stone arch was amazing, perched 400 ft above the side of a very steep bluff. We spent a good 45 minutes admiring the arch, taking pictures and recovering our strength. I was very nervous whenever any of the girls walked on the arch to pose for photos. It was only 6 feet wide at the apex. One young man arrived and asked us to take a picture of him doing a hand-stand on the arch...I couldn't watch. The trip back was pretty much all downhill and fairly easy. Nonetheless, I was exhausted when we returned to the car.

3  Thank plheureux
Reviewed June 10, 2013

We did this hike a few years ago and it remains a wonderful memory, tucked away far from paved roads

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Take lots of water with you on this hike. This is a long hike to get to the bridge but it is well worth the trip. Make sure to take in a view from the bottom. Many places to stop for a rest so pace yourself.

Reviewed June 8, 2013

Getting to and walking on to Devil's Bridge were two completely different experiences for me. I'll start with the latter.

The hike up to Devil's Bridge was pretty easy for me (perhaps moderate for those who are not comfortable walking on/around uneven terrain and rocks). Unfortunately because I was so focused on looking down at where I was stepping, I completely missed the rock "point" (not cairn) that directs you to the left onto the bridge. So I ended up walking about 10 minutes up some path that I eventually figured out was wrong. Oops. At least I got a little extra exercise. I made my way back and found the bridge. The bridge itself is pretty cool. You wonder how something that has no middle support can be sturdy but it is. Looking out at the rocks and even down from the bridge are photo-worthy. If you're at the end of the bridge and look down to the right, you'll see a "platform" on which people can stand to look up to you. This stop can be made before/after you go the bridge. I decided to stop there afterwards since it was on my way back. Again, great views of the bridge from a lower angle.

Now getting to Devil's Bridge was another story. Driving down Dry Creek Road, I thought I'd see a nice big sign saying "turn right" or "Devil's Bridge this way". Nope. I first ended up driving on Lost Canyon Road to Seven Corners where a nice man told me that I had gone too far. He instructed me on where to turn. I backtracked and found my way to the frontage road that took me to the parking lot. This is where I had to make a decision: park in the lot or take my rented Chevy Captiva SUV down the road. So I drove the mile or so past a few hikers all the way to the small parking area where you can drive no more. Even though I had the comforts of a radio and AC, this is an extremely bumpy, rocky road to drive on... even with an SUV. I didn't keep track of it on my way to the bridge, but on the way back it probably took me about 20 minutes to drive 5mph back up that road. I was fortunate that I didn't get stuck in a rut, that the tires didn't blow and that I didn't severely damage the underbody of the vehicle (at least, I don't think I did). If you decide to drive down this road, you definitely want a 4x4 high clearance vehicle (as listed on the sign right at the start of the road). If you decide to walk down this road, have really good hiking shoes, bring lots of water and allow time for the extra 2+ miles.

3  Thank Susan B