“fantastic for school-age kids but not little kids, and no dogs allowed”

Slide Rock State Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$272.27*
and up
Cathedral Slot Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, and Glen Dam Tour
Ranked #19 of 157 things to do in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: Slide Rock State Park, originally the Pendley Homestead, is a 43-acre historic apple farm located in Oak Creek Canyon. Frank L. Pendley, having arrived in the canyon in 1907, formally acquired the land under the Homestead Act in 1910. Due to his pioneering innovation, he succeeded where others failed by establishing a unique irrigation system still in use by the park today. This allowed Pendley to plant his first apple orchard in 1912, beginning the pattern of agricultural development that has dominated the site since that time. Pendley also grew garden produce and kept some livestock. As one of the few homesteads left intact in the canyon today, Slide Rock State Park is a fine example of early agricultural development in Central Arizona. The site was also instrumental to the development of the tourism industry in Oak Creek Canyon. The completion of the canyon road in 1914 and the paving of the roadway in 1938 were strong influences in encouraging recreational use of the canyon. Hence, Pendley followed suit and in 1933, built rustic cabins to cater to vacationers and sightseers. Todays visitors can still enjoy the fruits of Pendley's labor. Historic cabins are available for viewing, and the creek offers the park's namesake slide for adventures seekers and those looking for a place to cool off.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed November 21, 2009

We were so glad we stumbled upon Slide Rock park! Our kids, ages 11 and 8, loved it. Just be prepared: it's dangerously slippery, the water is freezing cold, and our dog was not allowed, so we had to tie up the dog outside the swimming area. Still, it ranks as one of our best days in the Southwest. For photos and details, please see our family blog post at http://away-together.com/2009/10/05/sedona-and-socal/

1  Thank travelyear001
There are newer reviews for Slide Rock State Park

Reviewed November 12, 2009

I imagine this park would be a blast during spring/summer. There's tons of places to play/slide down/jump off the rocks into the water. The dark gray boulders against the red rocks are striking. We hiked as far back as possible without getting into the cold water in Nov. Saw a tarantula. Annual National Park Passes are not accepted. You will have to pay the $8/car entry fee but it's more than worth it.

Reviewed October 10, 2009

Enjoy bumpy slides? Here's your chance to cool off, bond with the kids, and sun yourself creekside.

Reviewed September 17, 2009

Visited in August with my 2 children (6 and 4). We arived at 11.00 (ish) after driving down from Flagstaff - what a lovely scenic route. The queue was out of the park, so I stayed in the car park queue and the kids and hubby got out. Waited about 25 minutes to park.
The walk to the rocks is quite long (esp with towels, drinks, etc) and in parts quite steep.
The rocks are really slippy, my children took lots of tumbles, the water is COLD! and the slide was too deep in places for my childen (who can swim without armbands but are not truly confident). After sliding down into a small pool it was too difficult (and too slippery) for them to hoist themselves out of the water, so that was a bit scary for them.
I ruined my swimsuit too! So wear jean shorts.
They came down on my knee a few times, which was better, but slow and hard work.
The teens were having a fab time, and it was beautiful, but I think my children were too young and inexperienced around the water.
We had a great time, (fishing in the shallows) and sitting in the sun people watching, but I will wait a few years before returning.
Good price though - fab place for a picnic - lovely area, clean and tidy and the ladies in the gift shop were great. Only stayed a couple of hours, would imagine with older children you could stay all day easily!

3  Thank elsiemleedsUK
Reviewed August 24, 2009

We stopped here on our way up to Monument Valley from Phoenix. The kids had a blast. Bring a lunch.