“Hidden Natural Treasure”

and up
Cathedral Slot Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, and Glen Dam Tour
Ranked #19 of 158 things to do in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: Slide Rock State Park, originally the Pendley Homestead, is a 43-acre historic apple farm located in Oak Creek Canyon. Frank L. Pendley, having arrived in the canyon in 1907, formally acquired the land under the Homestead Act in 1910. Due to his pioneering innovation, he succeeded where others failed by establishing a unique irrigation system still in use by the park today. This allowed Pendley to plant his first apple orchard in 1912, beginning the pattern of agricultural development that has dominated the site since that time. Pendley also grew garden produce and kept some livestock. As one of the few homesteads left intact in the canyon today, Slide Rock State Park is a fine example of early agricultural development in Central Arizona. The site was also instrumental to the development of the tourism industry in Oak Creek Canyon. The completion of the canyon road in 1914 and the paving of the roadway in 1938 were strong influences in encouraging recreational use of the canyon. Hence, Pendley followed suit and in 1933, built rustic cabins to cater to vacationers and sightseers. Todays visitors can still enjoy the fruits of Pendley's labor. Historic cabins are available for viewing, and the creek offers the park's namesake slide for adventures seekers and those looking for a place to cool off.
Useful Information: Bathroom facilities, Wheelchair access
Reviewed October 22, 2013

If I didn't have my cousin with me who knew the area, I may have missed this gem. When we pulled over for Slide Rock, I was curious where we were going. But as we hiked down in to the red smooth rocks with the towering rocks above us and the clear cold water flowing around us...I felt I had just been introduced to a little slice of HEAVEN! When I see places like this, I am literally brought to tears at the natural beauty we are so blessed to have around us. Go early. We were fortunate to be there early enough where there were only about 6 other people. Cousin said during peak season and later in the day, you can barely see the beauty for all the people enjoying this location.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,931)

Reviewed October 21, 2013 via mobile

My mother in law recommended this spot and it was great! There is an old apple farm on the property and you can stop in the store to get some. The water area was beautiful and there were people in the water even though the water was cold!

Reviewed October 19, 2013

My sons and I decided to go here after hearing other people at the hotel talking about it. We were going to spend the day at the pool but went here instead for a few hours. The water was nice and cold....very refreshing on a hot day. We went down the rocks, my sons jumped off of the cliff. It was a little to tall for me. We live in Orlando and enjoy all the water parks but everything here was made by nature. It was alot of fun. We heard that you should get there early and I am glad we did. They close once they are full. We just made it. Bring towels and a cooler for drinks and food and enjoy the beauty.

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Well, you can easily see why this park is loved and crowded. So what? It's big enough to share, so go for it. I've never been in the water, but it must be a blast. Spectacular red rock formations and riverbed make this a "must see."

Reviewed October 17, 2013

October is the perfect time to go and I really shouldn't say this. The weather was gorgeous and there were very few people.