“You have to go during apple season!”

Slide Rock State Park
Book In Advance
More Info
$272.27*
and up
Cathedral Slot Canyon, Horseshoe Bend, and Glen Dam Tour
Ranked #19 of 157 things to do in Sedona
More attraction details
Owner description: Slide Rock State Park, originally the Pendley Homestead, is a 43-acre historic apple farm located in Oak Creek Canyon. Frank L. Pendley, having arrived in the canyon in 1907, formally acquired the land under the Homestead Act in 1910. Due to his pioneering innovation, he succeeded where others failed by establishing a unique irrigation system still in use by the park today. This allowed Pendley to plant his first apple orchard in 1912, beginning the pattern of agricultural development that has dominated the site since that time. Pendley also grew garden produce and kept some livestock. As one of the few homesteads left intact in the canyon today, Slide Rock State Park is a fine example of early agricultural development in Central Arizona. The site was also instrumental to the development of the tourism industry in Oak Creek Canyon. The completion of the canyon road in 1914 and the paving of the roadway in 1938 were strong influences in encouraging recreational use of the canyon. Hence, Pendley followed suit and in 1933, built rustic cabins to cater to vacationers and sightseers. Todays visitors can still enjoy the fruits of Pendley's labor. Historic cabins are available for viewing, and the creek offers the park's namesake slide for adventures seekers and those looking for a place to cool off.
Useful Information: Wheelchair access, Bathroom facilities
Reviewed September 30, 2013

I had been to this park a couple of years ago in March when it was pretty much closed. Now however, everything was open and the apple picking was prime. My party of 3 were not there to swim or slide, just to enjoy a beautiful place on a beautiful day and take pictures. I had forgotten that the park is a homestead of fruit trees. We picked apples by the bagful. They are soooo much better than any from a store! Yes, we did climb down into the slide area to experience the rocks and photogenic views, but our favorite parts of the day were viewing the historic homestead and its packing house in full operation packing cases of apples. What a great time!
My one and only complaint on this park is that they do not honor the national park passes for disabled persons and they charge $10 to park, but they do NOT take credit cards in payment. For those of us who live exclusively on credit cards, this was an irritation.

Reviewed September 30, 2013

This is the type of place you visit for several hours on a hot day. Bring your suit, water shoes(!!!), a small cooler and relax a while. It is ideal for swimming, sunning and people watching. In the Fall pick a bag of apples to snack on and buy an ice cream on your way out. The water is always freezing cold but after one slide down you'll want to go over and over again. My three year-old had a blast and although it was hard on him at first he got used to it (he wore his wetsuit but he was still cold). There is also a deep spot near the restrooms where you can jump in which is a lot of fun for adults and teenagers (definitely deep enough as dozens of people as well as myself were jumping with no problems).

This is NOT for the quick "let's just see what it looks like" stop. If that's all you want to do don't pay the $10 or $20 and then complain about the price and stairs. Park on the side of the road and walk the path over to check it out or just look at the pictures online.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

We had visited this park before when it was too cold to go in the water. The water was extremely cold for this visit, but I am so glad that at the age of 52 I put on my bathing suit and went down the natural rock slide. Such a blast! Tip for women is that you should wear shorts over your swim suit, since the rock did scrape up my bottom a little bit.

Reviewed September 29, 2013

While visiting Sedona, my husband and I took a day trip to Slide Rock. What a fun way to spend the afternoon! Neither one of us had ever experienced a natural water slide, so we had no idea what to expect. When you arrive at the park, it's a bit of a walk before you get to the slides. There are a few places to stop along the way if you need to use the restroom, or get some food. This is a popular destination, and it was filled with people. Once you get to the slides be prepared to climb a bit. Please wear appropriate shoes because the grounds and rocks are wet and you can easily slip and hurt yourself. Obviously there are no lockers at the slides so you place your towels and other belongings on the rocks themselves. Ok, now for the fun part...the slides. What can I say...you walk a few steps, sit down, and let nature takes its course. The water was freezing, and you can feel the algae or moss on your skin as you go down. While I only went down twice, my husband went down several more times. I enjoyed lying out on the rocks and taking photos while he played in the water. If you are in Sedona, this is a nice little day trip.

Reviewed September 28, 2013

Anytime we are in the area we have to stop. We all love playing in the water and sliding down the natural water slides. It can get busy so get there early to find a great spot. Pack a picnic and you are set for a day of family fun.