“Changed portions”

Sesame Inn Carefree
Ranked #653 of 1,293 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Chinese
Reviewed July 26, 2013

I don't like making negative comments, but in this case I have to. The economy has changed how Sesame Inn portions out food. We ordered our usual Mushui Pork and got "two" of them to the table already wrapped. One for each of us! I was looking for the rest of it to appear from the kitchen!! We had the same experience with soup. Full price for half the usual portions. One bowl each, arrived from the order. We tried them again. Unfortunately this happened twice to us, so we no longer go there. The prices went up and the portions went down. Too bad! I'm sure they are losing their regulars!!!

Reviewed July 13, 2013

We've stayed at the Boulders resort across the street and decided to try this place.

Please save your money and don't eat here. It's the worst greasy , nasty Chinese restaurant I ever had and is also expensive.
The restaurant looks nice but the food sucks.

Trust me.

Reviewed December 25, 2012

Frankly, this is some of the priciest Chinese food I've ever had. Got takeout the other day for 3 adults. Spent nearly $75 and it simply wasn't worth it. I'm glad it was just takeout. Our order had 4 appetizers and 3 entrees.

There were supposed to be 4 potstickers but there were only 3. At $5.25, those 3 dumplings were pricey. Apparently somebody in the kitchen has trouble counting because our $4.50 order of crab puffs was also missing one (ie, it had 4 instead of 5). The Teriyaki beef skewers (you get 4 of them) were dry, dry dry. They were like eating beef jerky on a stick, only these were tasteless. They were tough and way overcooked or maybe they had just been sitting around for a few days. Definitely not worth $2 a piece.

The honey dipped ribs (4 of them) were a nice size but a little tough. The bbq sauce covering the ribs was tomato-based and I expected it to be a little sweet (it is called honey dipped ribs) but it was pretty bland. I did not taste sweet on those ribs. The portion was a good size for an appetizer, though.

The Walnut Shrimp was probably the smallest portion of the entrees and way overpriced. I could count on 4 fingers the number of average size shrimp in there. They were stingy with the walnuts and veggies as well. The portion appeared to be child-sized or maybe a half portion but it was most definitely NOT worth almost $16.

The Beef and Broccoli was supposed to be prepared in a garlic brown sauce (according to the menu). The sauce had a light reddish tinge (maybe from some tomato sauce?) and there was no garlic flavor in this sauce. There was very little flavor of any kind. I expected to taste soy sauce, ginger, even pepper but nothing. I've had Beef and Broccoli at other restaurants before and I've also made it at home and this was the blandest by far. The broccoli was fresh and had a nice crunch and color to it and the beef was tender but cut into tiny pieces, as if by cutting them so small and spreading them around, it'll look like you have a lot more beef than you actually do. At $13.50, the portion size was adequate for one person even though there seemed to be more broccoli and very little beef.

Finally, the House Fried Rice was the only dish that actually had some flavor to speak of. The aroma and color of the entree was appetizing. But, there was maybe 3 small shrimp, some chicken and pork and plenty of veggies. The portion was large so for almost $10 you get enough fried rice for maybe a couple of meals.

Additionally, you aren't given (or offered) any packets of soy sauce (or any other sauce) or chopsticks. You just have to know to ask for what you want before you walk out. I also had to wait an additional 15 minutes longer than the "20 to 30 minutes" I was told it would take on the phone.

I wouldn't order takeout from this place again much less actually go and eat there. The food is overpriced and flavorless. They're stingy with their main ingredients, particularly the shrimp and beef. If you like overpaying for mediocre chinese food, this is the place to go.

Reviewed December 9, 2012

Tucked away in a strip mall, the Sesame Inn in Carefree/Scottsdale is a gem. The service is prompt and courteous, the atmosphere is pleasant, and the food is really good. Try the Hunan spicy beef, or the Pad Tai. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Dont let the fact that this great little restaurant is in a strip mall fool you. The food here is great. We were staying at The Boulders and wanted Asian food close by. This was right across the street. We had the Kung pao chicken, the spicy flat iron steak (which was so tender and delicious and juicy) and another dish but I can't remember the name. Everything was fab. We cleaned the plates. The wait staff was friendly, jovial and helpful.