“Luxury in a meal!”

Mastro's Steakhouse
Reserve with OpenTable
Mastro's Steakhouse is not available for your requested time. Choose another time, or search restaurants with availability.
The time you selected has already passed.
Ranked #60 of 1,267 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cross street: Pima Road
Ohio
“Luxury in a meal!”
Reviewed August 11, 2013

This was one of the most luxurious, sumptuous meals I had during my recent brief vacation in Scottsdale. Our server was prompt, assertive, knowledgable and even a little funny. The food was fabulous! Martinis were top notch, the steaks....well, just spectacular. At our table steaks were ordered, MW, M, MR, and R, and each one was perfect! My husband had king salmon with a special preparation and he loved it. Of course, as other reviewers suggest, order the lobster mashed potatoes if you want something just over-the-top unique and delicious, but skip the asparagus. Now for dessert, based upon other reviews, we ordered ONE butter cake, and all six of us were able to have a nice sized sample......it takes dessert to a whole new level!! DON'T MISS THE BUTTERCAKE! Now, having said how nice the food was, let me tell you the atmosphere is one of a monied lifestyle.....decadent, expensive, incredible. I rarely ever spend this kind of money on a diner, but for a special occasion, it was totally worth it! (Our share of the bill split three ways was $150.00 only a few glasses of wine, a few cocktails, and three sides. Yes, it is expensive)

• Visited August 2013

Peoria, Arizona
“We will never go back....”
Reviewed August 1, 2013

Let me first say that we knew prior to going here that the prices were extremely high so we knew what we were getting into . We read the reviews before we went so we knew we had to get the butter cake for desert and the lobster mashed for an appetizer. We had never been there before so we had high hopes after reading the reviews.. However, we were SO EXTREMELY disappointed. We have been to some very high-end restaurants and, after going there; we have no idea how they are pulling off such good reviews.

So, both my husband and I ordered the specials that were not on the menu. I ordered a special kind of salmon that was $46.00. My husband got the Tomahawk steak. When my husband ordered the steak the waiter came back out and whispered in his ear the cost of the steak to make sure he really wanted it. It was a …drum roll please……a whopping $110.00. He was going to change his order but after the waiter said how wonderful it was and we were celebrating his birthday we said “what the %&$#” and ordered it anyways. We got the lobsters mashed, which are raved about, online. This is a SIDE item and it costs $34.00. We also got onion strings and Brussels sprouts. So, already we have spent $56.00 in just side items. We also ordered the French onion soup and a Cesar salad. Now the reviews on the food

The French onion soup was amazing. It was by far the best item we ordered. I highly recommend getting this.

The Caesar salad was awful. I am a huge Caesar fan and this was one of the worst dressings I have had. It tasted like it was mayo based. It was gross. The best Caesar in the valley, is hands down, Houston’s.

Salmon was plain and was just okay. It was not $46.00 good and needed to have sauce or something. All their fish and meat come without anything done to them. It is just a plain piece of meat on a plate. I get that it is a “high quality” piece of meat but show some culinary skills and make it a great dish. For example, I would say hands down the best salmon dish in Arizona is at Elements. It is out of this world! I could not finish this salmon. I ended up taking it home and doctoring it up myself and it tasted fishy the second day.

The Tomahawk steak….for $110.00 it should be the most amazing piece of meat you ever put in your mouth. My husband said it was just okay. He said he would never order it again and if he could do it over he would not have ordered it at all. My husband has a thing for getting things that you cannot normally get. So, if the waiter tells him it is a special hard to find item then that is what he will get. However, this time it was not worth the cost.

The lobster mashed were way over hyped. They were garlic-mashed potatoes with lobster on top. Whoopie! They were not worth the price tag and not that good to boot.

The onion strings were mediocre.

The Brussels sprouts were great. I never thought I would like Brussels sprouts but the waiter said they were wonderful and we would have to agree.

Now, for the raved about butter cake. We have heard about this cake from so many people and the reviews said it was the best desert ever. So, I think it was way to far on that pedestal and could never live up to the hype. There is no one out there that loves desert more than me but this was so average I can’t even tell you. It reminded us of a cake version of a bazookie but not as good. It is just a very sugary piece of cake with ice cream on top. However, they serve it with a huge side of whipped cream…now that should be the desert. The whipped cream was delicious! We actually did not even finish the cake but we took home the whipped cream.

Anyways, the total bill was $328.00 (with tip). This is officially the most expensive restaurant we have even been to. Unfortunately, it was definitely not the best. We both agree we will never return to a Mastro’s and not because of the price but because the food was just not good or worth the price tag.

Seriously, if you want a awesome meal that is still high class go to Houston’s. Houston’s is still my ultimate favorite restaurant. The menu at Mastro’s is clearly hit and miss but at Houston’s you know with certainty that no matter what you order it will be awesome! They have a small menu but so everything perfectly. Sorry, I am digressing.

Bottom line…I would not recommend this restaurant to a friend and we will never return.

Maryland
“food”
Reviewed July 28, 2013

This is an outstanding restaurant not to be missed. Their appetizer menu is affordable in the bar and a real value for dinner.

Visited July 2013
Tucson, Arizona
“Excellent for special night out!”
Reviewed July 27, 2013 via mobile

Service was spectacular, great table even though last minute reservation for 7, food was delicious, we all had different cuts of steak, big enough to split between 2 or 3 people. Only thing I didn't like, others in our party also agreed, the scalloped potatoes were not good at all. Other sides, macaroni and cheese and creamed corn, were perfect. Everything served super hot on 400 degree plates. Careful, don't touch! Dessert was best I've had- the butter cake, don't skip it!! Will go again for sure, definitely beats Ruth's Chris.

Blacksburg, VA
“Memorable Experience, Great Steaks and Service”
Reviewed July 26, 2013

We chose Mastro's as the special end to our Arizona vacation. We were not disappointed. We had a perfect table in the corner, and were promptly greeted by our server. He made excellent recommendations and we chose the filet on the bone. The service was truly outstanding; the timing of the courses was perfect and the water glasses were never below half-full. When our steaks and sides arrived, there was a team of servers that descended on our table. The food was piping hot and the filet was one of the best steaks I've ever had. We chose the green beans amandine and the twice-baked potatoes along with a wedge salad. While the potato was average, the green beans and salad were delicious. It was a memorable experience, and I would highly recommend Mastro's to future diners.