“Great Pizza Great Beer”

Neighborhood: South Scottsdale
Colorado
“Great Pizza Great Beer”
Reviewed March 14, 2013

This spot has become a go-to for a beer and dinner when I'm in Phoenix for business. I discovered this place at Great American Beerfest in Denver last year, instantly fell in love with their Orange Blossom beer and knew I had to find their location next time I was in Phoenix.

The service has always been pretty good. Occasionally the bartenders get to socializing with one another or a regular patron and forgot about those of us they "don't know." But overall they check in when they need to and if you strike up a conversation they'll normally talk for awhile.

The Thai chicken pizza is where it's at here. I have had it on multiple visits and it's always been delicious. The personal size is actually pretty big and I'm always left with some to take back to my hotel with me and heat up later on.

The environment is very hole in the wall brewery, it's a mellow hang out with a wide variety of people. The beer fridges have a huge selection and I'm excited to say they even keep some of my favorite Colorado beers on tap.

Definitely check this spot out if you're looking for a less tourist traveled and more mellow environment.

Ruidoso, New Mexico
“Amazing beer selection & fabulous pizza!”
Reviewed March 9, 2013 via mobile

If I lived in Scottsdale there would be a bar stool with my name on it at Papago Brewing. The draft beer selection is awe-inspiring - I settled on the house-brewed Orange Blossom Wheat Ale. It went perfect with my pizza, a Build-Your-Own personal pizza with a crunchy thin crust , a tasty but not overwhelming sauce, and fresh toppings. Our only complaint was that it took a long time for the food to come...but the place was slammed & after we dug into our pizzas we all agreed it was worth the wait.

Seattle, Washington
“Lots of beer and very good pizza”
Reviewed March 4, 2013

This brewpub is located next to the Best Western where I stayed for a week. I walked in on the 1st evening I was in town and found a wonderful neighborhood bar atmosphere and lots of wood decor. The atmosphere felt very comfortable and companionable. There was a game on TV and board games in the shelves. I am not much of a beer drinker but I was impressed by the selection and by the taste of the Orange Blossom Wheat beer (?). I ordered a personal sized T-rex pizza and it was more than 1 person could eat --- about 10 slices --- but very good. The service was slow even though there weren't many people in there. I hope it wasn't because I was an older woman by myself. I would definitely go back and hope to get my husband there soon. He would love to try a lot of the beer offerings.

Santa Cruz, California
“A great discovery on our first day in Scottsdale!”
Reviewed February 28, 2013

We dragged into Scottsdale after a long afternoon of fighting traffic and, after checking into our motel, started to look for a decent place to grab a beer and a bite to eat.

A bit of internet searching turned up Papago Brewing Company right next door to our motel. The extensive beer list sounded intriguing, and the menu of mostly pizza and sandwiches sounded like just what we needed after a tiring afternoon, so we headed on over.

First, a small warning...if you're using a GPS to navigate, be aware that it may land you a half a block away from the restaurant. We wandered around the block a couple of times before we figured out that the restaurant was located in the small Papago Plaza shopping center, on the corner of Scottsdale Road and McDowell Road.

Inside, it's pleasantly "pubby," with lots of wood and a combination of tables and counter seating. I liked the hundreds of beer tap handles decorating the rafters and exposed beams. The use of cardboard six-pack holders as silverware and napkin holders on the tables was also a nice touch.

We decided to order a large pizza topped with artichoke hearts, Kalamata olives, and fresh basil for dinner (their pizzas only come in large and personal, and the large is a good bit too big for two, but our motel room had a fridge, so we decided what the heck...the leftovers would be good for breakfast!). The pizza came out promptly, and was just what the doctor ordered: thin, nicely crispy crust, tangy sauce, and just the right amount of cheese (I like my cheese a bit on the light side). I could have asked for a more liberal hand with the toppings, but that's just me. It was a really good pizza, and I'd order it again (and maybe just ask for a few more artichoke hearts and olives!).

To drink, we each had their signature Orange Blossom Ale...a wonderfully creamy wheat ale delicately infused with mandarin and vanilla, served with an orange slice on the rim. It was soooooo good! The orange and vanilla flavors perfectly complemented the slight sweetness of the wheat beer...nothing too sweet, but a perfectly harmonious combination. If I lived in the area, it would definitely be a favorite!

Service was prompt, helpful and friendly. Nothing to complain about there.

Should we find ourselves in the area again, we will definitely be repeat customers.

Peoria, Arizona, United States
“30 Beers on Tap”
Reviewed January 23, 2013

30 beers on tap and every time a keg runs out, a different one takes its place. Also offered over 500 different bottled beers to drink on site or to take home. It's hard to say if the beer compliments the food or vice versa. The menu consists of hand pressed pizza, to wraps, sandwiches and salads.

• Visited January 2013