“So familiar”

Ranked #30 of 1,261 Restaurants in Scottsdale
Cuisines: Delicatessen, Italian, Pizza
“So familiar”
Reviewed September 20, 2013 via mobile

Had a chance to eat here today after a long plane trip from Cleveland area. Our guest suggested this place for a late lunch. Part Italian store, deli, restaurant. Small but busy. We had eggplant Parmesan served in half and whole portions. Very generous. I had half, no salad but hot toasty garlic bread came on the side. Order at the counter and someone delivers by number. Something like Gallucci's in Cleveland. It was a good choice, but I'd like a little spicier myself. Fair value because the portions were great.

Visited September 2013

Glendale, Arizona
“Great atmosphere”
Reviewed September 7, 2013

We saw this place on Check Please Arizona on Channel 8 and my husband was really excited to try the pastrami and was not impressed at all. I had pasta and it was okay. Had way too much sauce. Garlic bread was pretty good and the salad was good but didn't care for dressing. Will go back on more time and try something else. I really like the atmosphere of eating amid all the groceries they have. You really do get a lot of food. The confusing thing is you have to go to the back of the store to order. Everyone was really nice. It was a little hard to find, it is actually across the street from Smart and Final

• Visited September 2013
Riverside, California
“I have trouble giving anyplace a "5," but I almost did.”
Reviewed August 10, 2013

We love Scottsdale in the summer - hot hot hot, and prices are low low low. So we went to DeFalco's on the basis of a "Diners, Drive-Ins, and Dives" episode.
It's an Italian market as well as a restaurant - order at the counter and then they'll bring it to your table.
We sat outside (at night) and the misters are more than cooled the super-heated night air.
We had:
Pizza: great crust - chewy, bubbly, crisp on the bottom, good sauce, plenty of pepperoni. I think this might be called "New York style" (OK, I'm from NYS, but not NYC, so I donno...) But it was good - very good. (I'm even eating the leftovers cold as I write this - and I never eat cold pizza...)
Lasagna: Great sauce! Sausage was wonderful. Could qualify as the best I ever had - and I judge an Italian restaurant based on the lasagna - (just like I judge a Mexican restaurant based on their enchiladas. )
Anyway, it's not "fancy-schmatzy" but if you want good Italian food, this is it.
Small pizza, half order lasagna, two glasses of wine - about 30 bucks.

• Visited August 2013
Phoenix, Arizona
“Fake Italian”
Reviewed August 3, 2013

Three visits here and I'm still not seeing anything that resembles real Italian food. Once I had the Boars Head Turkey Sandwich and you can get that anywhere, so that visit doesn't count. Another time, I tried the chicken parmesan dinner and the cutlets were sliced up and barely breaded and then covered in sauce to resemble a real authentic dish. It wasn't breaded and sliced, it was pre sliced chicken which was sort of covered in a light coating of something. Today, I went for the Eggplant parm Hero and it looked good in the box, but don't be fooled, it was a disaster underneath the sauce. The food did not even look like eggplant, it was white and pale and looked almost like a ghost. There was no breading on this stuff at all and despite enough cheese and sauce, this was just a real bad attempt at Italian food.

• Visited August 2013
3 Thank Brad H
“Delicious Italian food!!”
Reviewed August 3, 2013 via mobile

Went here after seeing on diners drive ins and dives. I live in Texas, but am originally from Chicago. I'm Italian and miss the food in Chicago. This place is as good or better than Chicago food. Highly recommend it!

• Visited July 2013