“A little let down but made the most of it”
Review of 3 Palms Hotel

3 Palms Hotel
Ranked #34 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I quickly booked a room here for two nights at the last minute. I snap decided to go here based on the fact that it had a poolside bar and cheap rates. I also read that there was a resaurant in front of it that had decent food. I figured it wouldn't be a complete 'resort' feel since the rates were so low, but I was still a little hopeful to be surprised. As soon as i pulled up to the property to check in the staff seemed professional and friendly. I couldn't help but notice that the property appeared that somebody bought a Motel 6 and gave it a massive facelift. I walked into my room and that feeling was confirmed, it's basically a Motel 6 (exact same layout and size of room) with a bunch of renovations made to it to give it a more modern look. I figured that I was already here and the rates were good so I'll just make the most of it. I put on my swim clothes and prepared to go down to the poolside bar and grab a cocktail and lounge by the pool. I got downstairs to see that the poolside bar wasn't even open and appeared to have not been open for sometime. I called the front desk and asked them if the bar ever opens. I was told the place is 'currently closed'. My main reason for going there was to lounge by the pool and order a few cocktails to relax. Let down number one. So I ended up going out for drinks and some dinner in downtown Scottsdale and had fun. Evening number two I pulled up to the Avalon (the restaurant in front of the property) to see their hours and if I could go grab some dinner. A sign on the front door read that the place is also 'currently closed'. Let down number two. Now if the poolside bar and resaurant where open I feel I would have quickly gotten over the fact that the place is basically a Motel 6 with a few updates. But they weren't open so I basically came to Scottsdale to stay at a Motel 6 with a fancier bed, a nicer tv, and a trendy odd shaped pool. In the end I will not stay here again. If you want to grab dinner at their restaurant or relax and order a cocktail by the pool, I suggest you call and make sure these places are even open. Those are the two things that make up for the 3 palms' appearance. Without those two, Motel 6 with a different sign in front is basically where you are staying, and that's the honest truth.

Room Tip: bottom floor rooms are best since the stairs can be tough with luggage
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Christopher G
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

I appreciate your candid review and first allow me to apologize for our restaurant being closed and no pool service. As I stated in a previous review response we are excited that a new restaurant will be opening shortly on property that will include pool service. The menu sounds fantastic and I am sure will be very popular with our guests. I would love to have you back after the restaurant opens. Please call me directly should you decide to visit us again.

There are newer reviews for 3 Palms Hotel

A TripAdvisor Member
Tucson, Arizona, USA
Reviewed June 27, 2012

Loved the art deco flair. Clean, mini fridge and coffee maker, nice TV, nice pool area, exercise room...really good choice.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with cheaprooms.com
Management response:Responded June 28, 2012

Thank you very much for reviewing the 3 Palms and I am happy that you enjoyed your stay. The rooms really do have an art deco/modern feel and our housekeeping staff takes great pride in their work. I will be sure to pass this review on to them. We look forward to your return!

Reviewed June 26, 2012

This was our third trip to the awsome 3 Palms hotel. They aim to please, and succeeded on every level. It was great to see some old faces and meet some great new ones. Wendy greeted us and was amazing and extra helpful, as were Paul and Matt the new GM. The entire front desk crew were consistently eager and efficient in their help and were knowledgeable about things to do in the area. We returned back to the wonderful beds and linens. We had a suite which is great especially at night , as they have a giant flat screen TV in the bedroom and another in the living area. This permitted my husband to enjoy sports, while I enjoyed a movie. We enjoyed the full size fridge and stove top. Our usual housekeeper, Irma was so caring, and cheerful. Cecilia, I believe the head of housekeeping was extra helpful as well, always, telling me, "let us know if there is anything we can do for you". I really cannot say enough good stuff about the staff, everyone was wonderful - Jesus was great, he knew a lot of about everything, helped me out with the a/c, the dishwasher, nothing was wrong with either, it was just me. He and Jose did a lot of work by the pool and I was usually there around 7:30am, and they were sincere and warm with their daily greetings. (We spent 3 fabulous weeks there) Wish I knew a lot more names, because everyone seemed to be eager to help, and everyone had a great work ethic. We appreciated all the what - although may have seemed like small details - we were so grateful for all you did for us.
Thanks so much to all -you made our vacation a home away from home. We will be back!
On a last note, the hotel has a great location - a 15 minute drive from Sky Harbour (Phoenix) a Fry's that is a short walk from the hotel, and tons of excellent shopping a car ride away - look up Fashion Square or ask the front desk!

Room Tip: Noise was not an issue for me, but I have stayed on the Park side before and it may be a better choi...
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

We love to read such impressive reviews and thank you for being a great friend of 3 Palms. It was really hard to believe that those three weeks passed so quickly. Out of all of the points that you made I am most proud of the comments made regarding our top notch staff. I will be sure to share this review with the team! Hopefully your travels will bring you back to 3 Palms sooner than later. It was a pleasure meeting you and your husband.

Reviewed June 23, 2012

The rooms are great for the price, the pool is ok but no service out by the pool.
This place reminds me of a hotel in Siberia, plain, depressing and no life.
Don't think I will ever go back.
I thought it was tasteless to have a 20.00 charge if the pool towels are not retutned.

Stayed: June 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Bob457878
Management response:Responded June 27, 2012

Thank you for staying with us at 3 Palms and I am glad that you thought the room value was great. We are currently in the process of re-opening our restaurant with a menu and theme that will be exciting for our guests. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future and please do not hesitate to contact me directly should I be able to assist.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

Check other reviews on Yelp of people who pre-paid then the clerk insisted on more charges upon arrival...I should have. The offputting clerk also claimed there is no recourse and no one to talk to. This motel is privately owned and the veil of secrecy and arrogance feels shady.
Bad experience and not a relaxing environment.

• Stayed: May 2012
1  Thank ourthreecents
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

The 3 Palms Hotel in this situation asked for a debit/credit card so we can place a $100 hold (not charge) for any incidental charges while staying with us. This is required for all guests to cover the resort should any additional charges be warranted. We take great pride in extending outstanding customer service to all of our guests which is confirmed through the many wonderful comments made on past reviews.

Reviewed June 16, 2012

It's our third visit in the past 6 months and we wanted to review this time...Location - Scottsdale, and (even better, near our son, wife, and grandson!), but convenient to services and restaurants - enjoy the neighborhood Thai place and the spots near ASU. Service - cheerful front desk afternoon welcome, and Wendy was quick to replenish the morning coffee supply in the lounge as she demo'd service for a young trainee. Value - we've found that booking last minute works for us and we go direct to the hotel and a room with King bed is very reasonable. Comfort - crisp linens, welcoming bed, even well mannered A/C doesn't keep you awake all night. Hospitality - we work in the business and appreciate the "guest-first" attitude we've seen on our visits. Hints: Ask for an extra washcloth at check-in, no elevator so be willing and able to carry your bags up to the second floor, the greenbelt (west) side would usually be the quiet side, since the pool and parking lot are on the east side of the hotel. We will be back!

Room Tip: See hints in text of review.
  • Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you for all of the wonderful comments and we really appreciate your loyalty to the 3 Palms. We really are in a great location close to many valley attractions and I agree that the value at our hotel is one if not the best in Scottsdale/Phoenix. I appreciate the shout out to Wendy for her excellent customer service and we do take great pride in our team. Look forward to your return so you can be reunited with that welcoming bed!

Reviewed June 14, 2012

For a small hotel a pleasant experience. Friendly staff. Emily at front desk was great. So was Wendy.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Blake S
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Thank you for the great review of the 3 Palms and also mentioning two of our front desk superstars. We look forward to your return