“Not a three star!”

Ranked #63 of 75 Hotels in Scottsdale
Ada, MI
“Not a three star!”
Reviewed March 13, 2014

The reviews on this place were not accurate. We had to move from our first room since there was empty beer bottles and dirty counters. No apology, they just moved us. Both rooms smelled. Room was fine if you were expecting a two star. This place is on the corner of two busy roads, so very load. I did enjoy the free made to order breakfast, but they did limit it to five items. Definitely dominated by those over 70. Furniture, carpet and bathroom were not clean. Blinds were hard to open. Pools were fine. Airport shuttle was great and quick.

Room Tip: Try to get a room away from the busy road.
  • Stayed March 2014, traveled with family
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, March 26, 2014
You definitely should have received an apology for being checked into a room that had not been cleared by housekeeping. There is not excuse and we are very sorry -- albeit late. It is very unfortunate you did not enjoy your visit - we are not for everyone and we are sorry to have disappointed you.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (141)
Reviewed February 25, 2014

we recently returned from a stay at Hospitality Suite Resort,our stay was in a one bedroom suite.This suited us well as we had a kitchen, the only thing missing was the dishwasher,however the dishes were done by the hosekeeping staff when they came in to clean daily.Also three BBQ's were available for use which we did enjoy having access to,I might add that they too were cleaned daily The housekkeping staff did a pretty good job,we did find our room quite dusty though,and if the ancient 1980 carpet was replaced with tile or lino it would be a huge improvement,and much cleaner!!The windows also had not been cleaned in a long time.Also the furniture is very very dated,and the owner does not seem to want to spend on any updating.That being said we did enjoy our stay and met many nice folks ,the sun and heat was lovely,and so was the pool.For value for your money it was good.The front staff are helpful,especially Jason & Lucas ,I hope I have the names right.The shuttle to and from the airport too was much appreciated.

• Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, March 10, 2014
We are happy you feel you received value for your money. We are surprised about the comments on dust, etc and have already put a call into housekeeping and requested they pay extra attention to the windows and dusting. We hope you visit us again. Thank you for being our guest.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 24, 2014

Stayed for four nights during unseasonably warm February. Airport pick up, followed by check in was a breeze. Their staff are genuinely friendly and can't do enough for you, which was really welcome after a long flight from the UK. This is an older property (circa late 70's), however, our stay was really comfortable and the price reflects this and made our visit to Scottsdale more attractive as we could spend our $$'s on doing lots of interesting things! We had great fun in Jaxons's (sports bar attached to the hotel) the FB manager was a real hoot and runs a smashing kitchen. Great to eat in or grab a take-out to have back in your room. Happy Hour wasn't for us, we went twice during our stay and much preferred the Jaxon's happy hour or reversed happy hour (9pm until close). We were in block B, the pool was much quieter, which we had requested (thank you HS) and the studio had everything need for a couple of nights. We had a few issues with a funny 'drain smell' coming from the shower which was rectified very quickly once highlighted. The only other issues was the constant light noise omitting from the AC which others have mentioned previously and the fact you can't turn the system off. I'm a light sleeper, with a habit of unplugging hotel refrigerators and even with the dreaded jet-lag, the AC didn't irritate me whatsoever.

Room Tip: Block C, then B will give you less road noise.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
We are happy to hear you enjoyed your visit. We are very much circa 1978, with some updating since, but you nailed it when you mentioned the great deal with more money to spend on other fun things. We have the important things covered - cleanliness and great service. We hope to have some of the updates done too - we just don't have a timeline as of yet.

Happy you enjoyed your stay.
Vancouver,
Reviewed February 21, 2014

This is not a luxury accommodation but we found this hotel a real winner. Among the positives..... free shuttle from the airport, free happy hour, warm pool, full breakfast, close to many amenities, and clean, comfortable room. Coffee maker in room, fridge, burner and microwave at our disposal. In addition, a bus pass for retired people costs 2 dollars for the day. We spent 10 days at this resort and the location allowed us to travel to everything we wanted to see in the Phoenix area by bus or rapid transit. Definitely one of the best values in Scottsdale.

Room Tip: Food: Avoid Jaxon's for supper. Eat at the Peruvian Villa or the Sicilian restaurant very near...
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your honest review. I am sorry that Jaxon's was a disappointment - it is a limited menu. Our restaurant Manager Chris is moving to the east coast shortly and we will be getting someone new - - I hope with that we see improvement. Thank you again.
Massachusetts
Reviewed February 20, 2014

Thoroughly enjoyed a four-day stay here on my annual vacation to Arizona. Since I basically go to escape cold, play some golf, and relax by myself I'm probably around the hotel more than those who have other interests.

Room: had a king studio suite for the stay. Bed was very comfortable with ample lighting. Sitting area with table was also good. Chairs were on rollers which helped quite a bit. Good storage space in dressers, end-tables, and closet (plenty of room there) in bathroom. Kitchenette was great as well, with a bit more storage room if needed tucked away in there as well. Good place to leave the golf club carrier. When I read that plates, utensils, etc. were provided I figured maybe a couple of plates, a cup or two, some silverware but there was much more, including sharper knives, teapot, etc. Didn't avail myself of them, but was pleasantly surprised to see so much. Bathroom was perfectly functional and shower was a stall shower but I wasn't there for a long soak in the tub, just to get myself cleaned up. Water pressure and temp were no problems. Was in C-building and never heard any noise at all except for some fellows playing tennis for a good long time one night (I think alcohol was also involved but that's OK, let them enjoy!) and sometimes the thump of basketball play but I get that where I live so I didn't care. The only thing that I could even slightly consider a negative (and even then it really didn't matter to me) was that the AC did not automatically shut off when room reached the set temperature. Left it running one day, set at 68, and when I came back it was still running and room was 58. Figured I didn't know how to set it properly so I just shut it off and opened the door for a few minutes (from the number of open doors I saw there it seemed safe to do so) and everything was just fine. Nice to see security out walking the grounds late at night as well.

Location: Convenient for those like me who are not doing strictly "local" attractions but who venture out and about the area (or even beyond the local area). Right on Scottsdale Road, so easy north-south travel. Very close to the 202, without being bombarded by the traffic and sounds from it. There are convenience stores, liquor stores, groceries all within walking distance.

Breakfast/restaurant: only ate breakfast there as there are some places in the area I go to for dinner. Service was good, and no issues with the food, even with it being almost full. Was a good start to my day. Like others noted, it's only included when you book directly with them, but you can add it on if you like. I myself found it much better and convenient than going for a fast food or Denny's type place.

Other amenities: again, didn't avail myself of many of them but I did see people playing tennis, shooting baskets, or shuffleboarding and seemed to be having a good time doing so. I only used the pool at my building and didn't have any issues with it. Clean, good water temp (although they had record heat for a couple of days that I was there so that might have raised it a bit), and plenty of seating. Parking was ample and easy to find a decently-lit space.

Atmosphere: This was where I was really surprised. I thought as if I had walked into some private club the first day I got there. Their "happy hour" reception is a great time if you're the type who likes to meet people. I gather that some people do extended stays there, as they had little buffets set up outside their rooms and everyone seemed to gather to mill around or sit and chat with everyone. And I mean everyone. I've never seen a more laid-back, casual, and friendly group of strangers in one place before. And after that, they remembered you. That goes for the guests and staff alike (and for the latter, it wasn't just the bartender...it was everyone at the whole facility). It was much more social than what I am used to, and it really added to my trip. Even though I usually tend to stay to myself when away, it was very easy to get talking to fellow travelers and share a few stories, tips, and laughs. Thoroughly enjoyable.

So all in all, this is a facility which I would recommend. It is a far-above average, exceptionally friendly, comfortable, and convenient spot. I've stayed at other similar hotels in the area before, and always had a feeling of wariness about being out and about after dark on their grounds. Not so here. This was the first time I had stayed here, and I will definitely be back next year, and hopefully for many years to come.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
3 Thank muinteoir2
Georgene C, Director of Sales at Hospitality Suite Resort, responded to this review, March 5, 2014
I must say that I thoroughly appreciate and enjoyed your review. It was very comprehensive and accurate. One of the things I noted when I first started working here just over 2 years ago was the friendliness, of the staff and the guests. The sociability is contagious. You put it into words beautifully. Thank you. We look forward to having you back as our guest.
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

I chose to stay here one night due to its close proximity to the airport. It's a large complex of two story buildings on a busy street near ASU. The grounds are lovely and it clearly was once an upscale resort now quite dated--the rooms are still very 1980's, and we chuckled at the old TV. The little kitchenette would be very convenient for a longer stay. The room was clean. The bathroom small with a tiny shower. Noisy people out by the pool. There are tennis courts with a basketball hoop. Breakfast not included as we booked through a third party. Plenty of off street parking.

Stayed February 2014, traveled with family
I too chuckle when I see the old TV. I intend to show your review to the owner in hopes of inspiring him. As you mentioned the tiny shower, I’m going to guess you stayed in one of our Studio rooms. Not all of them have a tub/shower combo as our larger rooms do. The larger 2 rooms suites are a little more – usually about $5 - $7, but they are much larger – I’m sorry it was not pointed out to you when you booked that the studio would likely have a shower only.

Regarding breakfast, we do only offer the cooked to order plated breakfast when guests book direct as incentive. I hope you try us again. Call direct and I will recommend building B, which is quietest, and you will enjoy breakfast as well.
Las Vegas, NV
Reviewed February 16, 2014 via mobile

The staff are very nice and the neighborhood is safe. We arrived in time to enjoy the free drinks happy hour they have every evening poolside. The room was nice and the kitchenette would be nice for an extended stay. The a/c did not work but the weather was nice without it. The free breakfast was good. The young waitress was very nice. The old waitress could take some pointers from the younger girl. Would stay again.

Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Our staff is very nice – thank you for making a point to share that. We do apologize for the A/C – I welcome you to contact me to tell me what room you were in, so I can send maintenance over to look at it.

Regarding the “older” waitress – there is one on the morning shift – I’ll make sure someone keeps an eye on her technique. Thanks for being our guest.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Scottsdale
3 Palms Hotel
#34 of 75 in Scottsdale
Comfort Suites Old Town
#58 of 75 in Scottsdale
Downtown Scottsdale
Holiday Inn Express Hotel and Suites Scottsdale - Old Town

Been to Hospitality Suite Resort? Share your experiences!